Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

  1. #1
    Member Jack Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Duneatin, FL
    Posts
    336

    ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

  2. #2
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Why Jack? Why Speechless? This is totally predictable. ESPN has shown their tendency to lean left just as the rest of the main stream media. Just because they're predominate subject is sports, they're still part of the main stream media. Instead of taking a non political stance on everything, they would rather try to push the liberal agenda than just report sports, which should have nothing to do with politics. So no matter how ridiculous this is, it's still stinks of main stream media.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Make_My_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake County, Florida
    Posts
    5,695

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    All he needs to do is start screaming 'racism" and all will be reversed.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

  4. #4
    Member Jack Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Duneatin, FL
    Posts
    336

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Why Jack? Why Speechless? This is totally predictable. ESPN has shown their tendency to lean left just as the rest of the main stream media. Just because they're predominate subject is sports, they're still part of the main stream media. Instead of taking a non political stance on everything, they would rather try to push the liberal agenda than just report sports, which should have nothing to do with politics. So no matter how ridiculous this is, it's still stinks of main stream media.
    Oh, I am fully aware of the line they tote. I have not watched an ESPN program in years because of it. To do this to an Asian-American because of his name, and at the most multi-culty network (face it, they make Benetton look like the cigar lounge on the Titanic) is counter to the diversity mantra. Not to mention an insult to the intelligence of the few viewers they still have. I said speechless because with liberals these instances are a mere mile marker quickly receding in the rear view mirror as they stomp on the accelerator. By this time next year I foresee their anchors leading antifa riots.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    All he needs to do is start screaming 'wacism" and all will be reversed.
    FIFY.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  6. #6
    Senior Member Make_My_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake County, Florida
    Posts
    5,695

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    FIFY.
    Make_My_Day
    All he needs to do is start screaming 'wacism" and all will be reversed.
    Don't you mean "lacism?'
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

  7. #7
    Member Jack Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Duneatin, FL
    Posts
    336

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    FIFY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    Don't you mean "lacism?'
    Ho Lee.......
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

  8. #8
    Senior Member alphasigmookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,342
    They just moved him to a different game. Seems like the sort of thing any large corporation dependent upon a large audience would do, try to avoid as much controversy as possible.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

  9. #9
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    They just moved him to a different game. Seems like the sort of thing any large corporation dependent upon a large audience would do, try to avoid as much controversy as possible.
    Which large audience would that be? I see a large corporation pandering to a small audience in a rediculous attempt to be PC and in effect making a much larger audience see them as idiot's.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  10. #10
    Senior Member alphasigmookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Which large audience would that be? I see a large corporation pandering to a small audience in a rediculous attempt to be PC and in effect making a much larger audience see them as idiot's.
    Quietly switching a broadcaster from one game to another to be sensitive about a terrorist attack that just happened on that campus is just smart. Sure in a different time they may not have to do that, but that's not the time we live in. And yes the audience for college football is massive and yes a lot of it is at or near the college age when people are prone to be more sensitive about such things. You don't get to live in the world you wished you live in. You have to live in the one that actually exists.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

  11. #11
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,426

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    They just moved him to a different game. Seems like the sort of thing any large corporation dependent upon a large audience would do, try to avoid as much controversy as possible.

    Pretty much where I land on this too. Is it stupid? Yeah, but the folks likely to be upset by such a silly thing are exactly the folks you are going to find at that event. Easily excited college aged kids. Folks who aren't known for their discernment or impulse control and who are very likely to be suffering from a self induced impairment. This isn't ESPN flying the 'flake flag, this is them understanding the audience at the venue.
    Tim Mason

  12. #12
    Senior Member Diver43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami
    Posts
    6,521

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Quietly switching a broadcaster from one game to another to be sensitive about a terrorist attack that just happened on that campus is just smart. Sure in a different time they may not have to do that, but that's not the time we live in. And yes the audience for college football is massive and yes a lot of it is at or near the college age when people are prone to be more sensitive about such things. You don't get to live in the world you wished you live in. You have to live in the one that actually exists.
    Quietly? It is International News!!! People in other countries are laughing at us over such nonsense.

    You honestly think this is the right thing to do?

    As Americans we should be standing together regardless of your name, color, religion, anything at all, we are supposed to be UNITED. Ever hear of United we stand, divided we fall? Well these idiots are dividing our Country and half of our so called political leaders are helping.

    A few weeks ago nobody would have cared what the sports announcers name was as long as he/she did a good job.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

  13. #13
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    8,754

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    They just moved him to a different game. Seems like the sort of thing any large corporation dependent upon a large audience would do, try to avoid as much controversy as possible.
    I would prefer a large corporation to laugh at absurdity, personally.

  14. #14
    Senior Member alphasigmookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Quietly? It is International News!!! People in other countries are laughing at us over such nonsense.

    You honestly think this is the right thing to do?

    As Americans we should be standing together regardless of your name, color, religion, anything at all, we are supposed to be UNITED. Ever hear of United we stand, divided we fall? Well these idiots are dividing our Country and half of our so called political leaders are helping.

    A few weeks ago nobody would have cared what the sports announcers name was as long as he/she did a good job.
    Well they were in a bad place either way. I'm sure they tried to do it quietly. Had they left him on the game the left would scream and cry about them being insensitive. They took him off now the right is screaming and crying about them being too sensitive/PC. I don't envy their position.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

  15. #15
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    12,413

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Sooooo...does this mean that Sheila Jackson Lee (Obviously the love child of Stonewall and Robert E.) needs to leave Congress?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  16. #16
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    12,413

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Quietly switching a broadcaster from one game to another to be sensitive about a terrorist attack that just happened on that campus is just smart. Sure in a different time they may not have to do that, but that's not the time we live in. And yes the audience for college football is massive and yes a lot of it is at or near the college age when people are prone to be more sensitive about such things. You don't get to live in the world you wished you live in. You have to live in the one that actually exists.
    If this is an example of the "world we live in"......I want to get off....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  17. #17
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    You don't get to live in the world you wished you live in. You have to live in the one that actually exists.
    This really sounds rediculous coming from you. This ESPN response is pandering to liberals that reject reality and want the world to work the way they imagine it and they'll, rant, pee and moan, and protest against anything that doesn't fit their imagined Utopia. If ESPN would havd went on with business as usual, it's likely that nothing would have become of it and if anyone brought it up as being insensitive, they would look like the fool's. Should the world shun anyone named Adolf? When we elected a president whose name was Hussein, where was your outcry about sensitivity to the Iraqi people who were terrorized by his rule? The fact that Robert Lee is Asian/American makes it even more rediculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  18. #18
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    19,354

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Meanwhile this weekend about a dozen Cleveland Browns football players took a knee during the national anthem. I'm pretty disgusted with ALL the football teams, from HS to the NFL doing stupid stuff.

    The guy is an announcer, not a player. The fans aren't there to see him; they're there to see the teams play, the cheerleaders shake that thang, and act like the idiots probably acted at the coliseum in Rome back when Caesar was hanging out there. They really don't care what some announcers name is; they're there for...........whatever floats their boat.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

  19. #19
    Senior Member alphasigmookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    7,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    This really sounds rediculous coming from you. This ESPN response is pandering to liberals that reject reality and want the world to work the way they imagine it and they'll, rant, pee and moan, and protest against anything that doesn't fit their imagined Utopia. If ESPN would havd went on with business as usual, it's likely that nothing would have become of it and if anyone brought it up as being insensitive, they would look like the fool's. Should the world shun anyone named Adolf? When we elected a president whose name was Hussein, where was your outcry about sensitivity to the Iraqi people who were terrorized by his rule? The fact that Robert Lee is Asian/American makes it even more rediculous.
    I vaguely remember a lot of people screaming their head off that we elected a man who's middle name was Hussein. Our current president scored a lot of points with a lot of those people demanding his birth certificate and insinuating that he was illegitimate and not a real American. One side does not have a monopoly on raving fools.

    All ESPN did was move Robert Lee to a different game rather than having him call a game at a university where someone was killed over a statue of Robert Lee. It is unfortunate that they felt they had to do it, but it's also unfortunate that someone thought they had to commit a terrorist act over a statue. Also I will note that you're upset that they bowed to a potential controversy from the left while actively stirring a controversy from the right.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

  20. #20
    Senior Member Make_My_Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lake County, Florida
    Posts
    5,695

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    I vaguely remember a lot of people screaming their head off that we elected a man who's middle name was Hussein. Our current president scored a lot of points with a lot of those people demanding his birth certificate and insinuating that he was illegitimate and not a real American. One side does not have a monopoly on raving fools.

    All ESPN did was move Robert Lee to a different game rather than having him call a game at a university where someone was killed over a statue of Robert Lee. It is unfortunate that they felt they had to do it, but it's also unfortunate that someone thought they had to commit a terrorist act over a statue. Also I will note that you're upset that they bowed to a potential controversy from the left while actively stirring a controversy from the right.
    Give me a break. The left's reaction to being upset is burning down the house. The right's reaction is sarcasm over stupidity...it's beyond me how you don't see the difference.
    Last edited by Make_My_Day; 08-24-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

  21. #21
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,145

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    My take on this is that it reflects what ESPN thinks of their viewers' intelligence.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  22. #22
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,132

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    I would prefer a large corporation to laugh at absurdity, personally.
    I'd prefer them to say "screw you, it's just the guy's name. Quit acting like little bitches."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,331

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Just gotta laugh at this. Geezus, you can't make this stuff up. Liberalism is its own reward.

  24. #24
    Senior Member orchidman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    A true 'Southerner'. NZ
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Quietly? It is International News!!! People in other countries are laughing at us over such nonsense.
    Yep. The absurdity of making a decision like that is not lost no matter how it is explained.

    I expect the next step will be to delete all listings of people with the name and initials of R.E.Lee from all phone books in the USA.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

  25. #25
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    19,354

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    My take on this is that it reflects what ESPN thinks of their viewers' intelligence.
    Bubba from the South don't give a rip about the guys name. Show the football game! More beer and chips! More shots of the cheerleaders! Woo Hoo! Don't worry 'bout the mule goin' blind! HOLD THAT LINE! HOLD THAT LINE!

    Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Yep. The absurdity of making a decision like that is not lost no matter how it is explained.

    I expect the next step will be to delete all listings of people with the name and initials of R.E.Lee from all phone books in the USA.
    Is our own little redheaded feller Buffy suspect because his last name is Lee? Oh, the humanity!
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,561

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    The game isn't even on TV, it's on ESPN live stream.

    Meanwhile, 63 people were shot in Chicago last weekend, how did the lefts priorities get so screwed up.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

  27. #27
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'd prefer them to say "screw you, it's just the guy's name. Quit acting like little bitches."
    I guess that's what I've been trying to explain to Alpha but I'm not as good with words as you. How come he doesn't try to spin up a crazy line of BS with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  28. #28
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,132

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I guess that's what I've been trying to explain to Alpha but I'm not as good with words as you. How come he doesn't try to spin up a crazy line of BS with you?
    Maybe hard reality gets to him. I dunno.
    Seriously. I can't comprehend this. Someone who would honest to God be offended that someone's name is the same as someone who lived over 100 years ago should put a 12 gauge in their mouth and pull the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  29. #29
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,254

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Maybe hard reality gets to him. I dunno.
    Seriously. I can't comprehend this. Someone who would honest to God be offended that someone's name is the same as someone who lived over 100 years ago should put a 12 gauge in their mouth and pull the trigger.
    I think that would taste bad, but then again, not for long
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  30. #30
    Senior Member coolgunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere north of Mozambique
    Posts
    5,426

    Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Maybe hard reality gets to him. I dunno.
    Seriously. I can't comprehend this. Someone who would honest to God be offended that someone's name is the same as someone who lived over 100 years ago should put a 12 gauge in their mouth and pull the trigger.

    I'm in a weird position here. On one hand, I agreed with alpha that this was a business decision by an entity who would like to avoid possible controversy, however stupid it may be. Face it, we've seen businesses boycotted for similarly stupid things in the past. Call it catering, call it pandering, the end result is ESPN is trying to make money and a very large segment of their audience is college aged and leans left.

    On the other hand, cpj is also right. I won't suggest anybody should suck start a shotgun, but if somebody is so easily offended that having an announcer at a game who has a name similar to the name of a controversial figure in American history is a "trigger" for you.... you're going to want to sit down and reassess your life.
    Last edited by coolgunguy; 08-24-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Tim Mason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •