Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

Re: ESPN reaches critical duncity.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Quietly? It is International News!!! People in other countries are laughing at us over such nonsense.

You honestly think this is the right thing to do?

As Americans we should be standing together regardless of your name, color, religion, anything at all, we are supposed to be UNITED. Ever hear of United we stand, divided we fall? Well these idiots are dividing our Country and half of our so called political leaders are helping.

A few weeks ago nobody would have cared what the sports announcers name was as long as he/she did a good job.
    Well said Ron, and so true.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgunguy View Post
    I'm in a weird position here. On one hand, I agreed with alpha that this was a business decision by an entity who would like to avoid possible controversy, however stupid it may be. Face it, we've seen businesses boycotted for similarly stupid things in the past. Call it catering, call it pandering, the end result is ESPN is trying to make money and a very large segment of their audience is college aged and leans left.

On the other hand, cpj is also right. I won't suggest anybody should suck start a shotgun, but if somebody is so easily offended that having an announcer at a game who has a name similar to the name of a controversial figure in American history is a "trigger" for you.... you're going to want to sit down and reassess your life.
    Both things can be true and it pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. It is a sad statement that this situation would be a problem for people, but the fact that it almost certainly would is the fact ESPN has to deal with. Sure we'd love to see them take a stand and just say "shut up, you're all being stupid", but it's easier to say when you don't have billions in advertising revenue at stake in the decision.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Both things can be true and it pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. It is a sad statement that this situation would be a problem for people, but the fact that it almost certainly would is the fact ESPN has to deal with. Sure we'd love to see them take a stand and just say "shut up, you're all being stupid", but it's easier to say when you don't have billions in advertising revenue at stake in the decision.
    Exactly. And maybe this overkill attitude or underkill, is why we end up with all this PC Rhetoric.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    Thing is they didnt deal with it. They caved fast and hard. Now any little thing the leftys are triggered by (side thought, why doesnt the term triggered trigger the leftys??) that ESPN does, they will expect ESPN to do what they consider correct instantly or they will cause problems.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

People DECIDE to be "offended" - or not. *shrug*
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    My take on this is that it reflects what ESPN thinks of their viewers' intelligence.
    Let's see... ESPN is a network designed to further the view that (for the most part) individuals that were granted a slightly superior athletic/physical attributes by simple genetics, usually enhanced through modern chemistry (steroids) and quite a bit of sheer luck, should be granted huge fortunes and manufactured fame and then somehow the populace should elevate them to some form of idol or cultural icon. Basically TMZ for jocks...

Yep, I agree.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

This is how window licking crayon eating stupid ESPN looks to anyone with two viable brain cells.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    People DECIDE to be "offended" - or not. *shrug*
    Adults don't get offended.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Adults don't get offended.
    Pretty much. Several years back I was in one of those HUGE "Antique Malls", wearing a skirt. A woman was mighty curious about me, and started her conversation with "I don't mean to offend...".

I told her "Offense is for Liberals - I'm not 'offended', and its pretty darn hard to 'offend' me. Ask away!".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."