Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Gets his pardon. All he ever did was his job, good news indeed.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio

He says he's about to go public with all the manipulations the obummer administration went through to harass him, and the quasi-legal shenanigans of the prosecutor and the judge who convicted him in their kangaroo court. Go get 'em, Joe!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    He says he's about to go public with all the manipulations the obummer administration went through to harass him, and the quasi-legal shenanigans of the prosecutor and the judge who convicted him in their kangaroo court. Go get 'em, Joe!
    Jerry
    If anybody can pull it off, he can!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Jerry
    The Arpaio case is the personification of what happens when the quasi-communist Democrats are in power. They appoint judges that don't follow the law or the Constitution in applying the law.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

And McCain is blasting Trump for it...jack wagon!
    Support your local Scouts!

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    And McCain is blasting Trump for it...jack wagon!
    He didn't check out yet? Hmmmm.

These days, I take McCain about as seriously as I take Lindseed Grahamnesty.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Sheriff Arpaio should never have been prosecuted/persecuted in the first place. He was doing his job.

As to McCain, I'm beginning to look at him like he may be a Manchurian Candidate. Not Republican, not Democrat, not RINO, but more like a closet communist.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Sheriff Arpaio should never have been prosecuted/persecuted in the first place. He was doing his job.
    No foolin'! I hope he "spills the beans"!
    As to McCain, I'm beginning to look at him like he may be a Manchurian Candidate. Not Republican, not Democrat, not RINO, but more like a closet communist.
    I don't know what the Hell he is - back in Y2K he made a lot of sense, now he only makes a lot of nonsense.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

When McCain got back from the Hanoi Hilton, he was a heroic, or at least a sympathetic figure- - - - -now he's just pathetic. Too stubborn to admit he's past his prime, and too sick to be a good target for a political attack. I expect him to hang on like Ted Kennedy and a few other ailing dinosaurs did, just out of sheer spite and a refusal to accept the inevitable.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

McCain knows how to hold a grudge, and I believe he's paying back Trump for unkind things said to him during the campaign. Arpaio was found guilty of a misdemeanor, for which I believe would have been overturned anyway, and those crying foul on his pardon excuse and even praise Obama for pardoning Chelsea Manning for a felony.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    McCain knows how to hold a grudge, and I believe he's paying back Trump for unkind things said to him during the campaign. Arpaio was found guilty of a misdemeanor, for which I believe would have been overturned anyway, and those crying foul on his pardon excuse and even praise Obama for pardoning Chelsea Manning for a felony.
    Wasn't Chelsea...he....she...tried for treason? If not then he...she...should have been. And Barry pardoned that thing...and the left saw it as OK? Sheriff Joe was keeping the Illegal aliens out, and jailing criminals...

Eric Holder targeted Arpaio to further Obama's leftist administration and provide distraction from his own shifty behavior on border issues. It took years of imaginative nitpicking to find anything to charge him with. Compared to the proven infractions of Hilary Clinton that were not deemed 'prosecutable' by the Obama Justice Department, Sheriff Joe's so-called infractions didn't even merit a second glance. Eric Holder was on video lying to Congress and prosecution was never even considered.

Common criminals get off everyday claiming harassment that doesn't come near what Arpaio had to contend with. The goal was to disgrace and intimidate him, which it never accomplished, except in the minds of the most rabid liberals. The sheer volume of negative press managed to tarnish him a little in the minds of some folks who didn't really follow the case very carefully, but they never broke the good sheriff. He continued to enforce the law and made no apologies for doing it.
    Last edited by bisley; 08-27-2017 at 04:14 PM.

I spoke with Sheriff Arpaio back several years ago; I believe in 2009. He came and spoke before our Vietnam E Co. Reunion which was in Scottsdale that year. IIRC, he was a DEA senior agent in Mexico before being a sheriff.

Can't say I always agreed with the way Arpaio conducted his everyday business, and the County's legal defense bills were astronomical. But he did what he was elected to do. Over several years. He was targeted for doing what the Obama administration would not.

Arpaio on his tent-jails said US service members were living in the same conditions in Afghanistan and Iraq. He had a point.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

When McCain got back from the Hanoi Hilton, he was a heroic, or at least a sympathetic figure- - - - -now he's just pathetic. Too stubborn to admit he's past his prime, and too sick to be a good target for a political attack. I expect him to hang on like Ted Kennedy and a few other ailing dinosaurs did, just out of sheer spite and a refusal to accept the inevitable.
    Jerry
    As for McCain's stay at the Hanoi Hilton, I'm not convinced it was as it has been reported. I have no doubt he was shot down or crashed his plane and taken prisoner of war. I'm not convinced, though, that he suffered the horrible conditions he claims he did. I'm not the only one, either.

I could be wrong and letting my disdain for the man cloud my judgement, but the only one who really knows what happened is McCain, and he's sticking to his story.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

There are plenty of witnesses to what happened to John McCain in captivity, so I think your disdain is clouding your judgement. If it was not as he reported, that fact would have come out LONG ago.

No one imprisoned in Hanoi had it easy.

He is what he is, no less or no more.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I have no real opinion on this, just some thoughts...

Manning spent 7 pears in prison before Obama pardoned it.

Is it a good idea to hold Trump to Obama as a standard? If everything that Obama did was wrong, what is the point of holding his wrongs up as the standard?

Arpaio did do what he was elected to do, but I personally think he got a bit carried away and was clearly an attention whore. A lot of the stuff he did, I felt was only for the attention it generated.

Birther? I have talked about that until I was blue in the face. My conclusion is that anyone in a potential leadership position that promoted that obvious nonsense has lost their credibility with me.

Arpaio was accused of racially profiling Hispanics. To me, this means that people that look like Wambli and Sixgun were pulled over and possibly arrested just because of the way they looked. That is something I would not agree with.

I do not know the specifics of the case and the prosecution along with the defense, nor do I care to. Trump is constitutionally authorized to pardon people at his discretion. It is what it is. I am not opposed to him using his discretion.

There it is. I suspect Arpaio loved attention, but who doesn't? He was convicted, apparently (according to him) denied a trial by jury. I doubt Arpaio would have done any time, and at least, now he quits sending me personal requests for funding for his defense. (Be cautious in giving your email address.) So it's all good.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Sheriff Joe was always an authoritarian bully. He used his power to got after any politician or journalist who dared challenge him while doing frankly a crap job at his actual job. He was the Sheriff, not the border patrol. Conducting massive sweeps for illegal aliens may have gained him widespread conservative media attention and money, as well as the votes of all the snowbirds throughout the county, but it didn't keep people safe and it took resources away from dealing with the real crime problems in the county. The fact that he was convicted of contempt of court is not at all surprising. The man had nothing but contempt for anyone claiming authority other than his own.

This article pretty much sums up my feelings about Sheriff Joe from my 2.5 years in Phoenix. Btw I did see him once. He was with an large protective detail schmoozing with fellow septuagenarians on the golf course in Sun City. There is no crime in Sun City. It's a gated community full of retirees. The man cared only about attention and power. He spent his entire reign seeking both.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...ory/606012001/
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Well, now. The role of sheriff requires an "authoritarian" figure, since it requires enforcement of authority. If you were sworn to uphold the statues of the laws of your state, what would YOU do if you were overwhelmed with a bunch of people who didn't obey the law? I agree he was not politic and created a bunch of problems he could have avoided, but he went a different route.

Were I sheriff, I would have obeyed the judge and fought it out in court.
    Last edited by Gene L; 08-28-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Well, now. The role of sheriff requires an "authoritarian" figure, since it requires enforcement of authority. If you were sworn to uphold the statues of the laws of your state, what would YOU do if you were overwhelmed with a bunch of people who didn't obey the law? I agree he was not politic and created a bunch of problems he could have avoided, but he went a different route.

Were I sheriff, I would have obeyed the judge and fought it out in court.
    There's a difference between enforcing the law and being above the law. There's a difference between using the authority the people have placed in your hands and exceeding it. Using the power of your office to harass and persecute political rivals and the media is not ok and ended up costing the county millions in lawsuits. Overall his actions have cost the county hundreds of millions in various lawsuits.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

Your source is liberal crap and so is your parroted verbiage. I'm fairly certain Maricopa County was flooded with illegal aliens, drug mules, dealers and sex traffickers. With zero experience in law enforcement, you have a lot to say about a sheriff that probably broke his butt trying to keep crime manageable. Regardless of your opinion, he kept getting re-elected by the people of Arizona,only to finally be defeated by outside money and the Oblowhole Injustice Dept. vendetta. Part of the mans' strategy was to make sure the bad guys knew he was a bad ombre, and they better stay out of his county or deal with the consequences.
    Last edited by Make_My_Day; 08-28-2017 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    Your source is liberal crap
    I have heard this line quite a bit. That, and "fake news". Please explain to us where the author, is a) liberal b) full of crap? Or is that just a lazy way of discounting a viewpoint that you do not agree with-- without even making the effort to digest the argument the other side is making?

Your source is liberal crap and so is your parroted verbiage. I'm fairly certain Maricopa County was flooded with illegal aliens, drug mules, dealers and sex traffickers. With zero experience in law enforcement, you have a lot to say about a sheriff that probably broke his butt trying to keep crime manageable. Regardless of your opinion, he kept getting re-elected by the people of Arizona,only to finally be defeated by outside money and the Oblowhole Injustice Dept. vendetta. Part of the mans' strategy was to make sure the bad guys knew he was a bad ombre, and they better stay out of his county or deal with the consequences.
    My source is living in the county and reading about the shady crap he pulled all the time. Here's a tip of the iceberg. Do a bit of digging. Google lawsuits and you'll find the hundreds of millions paid or spent.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...rrests-6651491
    -DoctorWho

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    I have heard this line quite a bit. That, and "fake news". Please explain to us where the author, is a) liberal b) full of crap? Or is that just a lazy way of discounting a viewpoint that you do not agree with-- without even making the effort to digest the argument the other side is making?
    Because USA Today is a liberal paper like most all in the country. Their editorial content is similar to the New York Times. To me, therefore....crap, They're no different than the Orlando Slantinel when it comes to conservatives...therefore...crap. Call me biased, so what.
    Last edited by Make_My_Day; 08-28-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Because USA Today is a liberal paper like most all in the country. Their editorial content is similar to the New York Times, to me, therefore....crap, Their no different than the Orlando Slantinel when it comes to conservatives...therefore...crap. Call me biased, so what.
    There used to be two major daily papers in Milwaukee, the Journal and the Sentinel. They merged and are called the Journal/Sentinel. I call the paper the UrinalScent!

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    My source is living in the county and reading about the shady crap he pulled all the time. Here's a tip of the iceberg. Do a bit of digging. Google lawsuits and you'll find the hundreds of millions paid or spent.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...rrests-6651491
    I don't see much honest commentary coming from very many liberals mouths or typewriters. That doesn't mean I believe all Republicans either, but I trust them slightly more than libs. With regard to your story from the "New Times," the article itself seems credible, but near the bottom of it turns out the decision was arrived at by the 9th Circuit Court, which as we all know is stacked with libs, therefore suspect in my opinion. This story is a surprise to me, but it's clear that when it comes to politics, EVERYONE is flawed. And it's also clear that he's been re-elected numerous times, so obviously the citizens of Maricopa County previously liked the job he's doing. I will admit, that if the negative stuff he was doing is all true, I guess he suffered the corruption of power. He still was up until recently an effective sheriff.

Hundreds of millions? Seems to me that would nearly bankrupt the average county.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    There used to be two major daily papers in Milwaukee, the Journal and the Sentinel. They merged and are called the Journal/Sentinel. I call the paper the UrinalScent!
    Perfect....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    There's a difference between enforcing the law and being above the law. There's a difference between using the authority the people have placed in your hands and exceeding it. Using the power of your office to harass and persecute political rivals and the media is not ok and ended up costing the county millions in lawsuits. Overall his actions have cost the county hundreds of millions in various lawsuits.
    Not to justify Arpaio's actions, but liberal politicians do it every day of the week. Ovomit did it for 8 years on a national level. Democrats are doing it to Trump now by using holdovers from the previous administration to harass and obstruct, so stop being so holier than thou.

Edited to add:
    OK, I've read the entire article from the USAToday. I only read the first couple of paragraphs at first and it seemed like more liberal tripe. After reading it through, there seems to be more evidence of a history of corruption than I first thought, so I'll withdraw my previous remarks about you being one of those knee-jerk libs. Apparently I'm guilty of the same thing, so on THIS one issue I apologize for jumping to my usual conclusions.
    Last edited by Make_My_Day; 08-28-2017 at 03:59 PM.

OK, I've read the entire article from the USAToday. I only read the first couple of paragraphs at first and it seemed like more liberal tripe. After reading it through, there seems to be more evidence of a history of corruption than I first thought, so I'll withdraw my previous remarks about you being one of those knee-jerk libs. Apparently I'm guilty of the same thing, so on THIS one issue I apologize for jumping to my usual conclusions.
    You are a good man!