Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Hurricane Irma Watch ...

Re: Hurricane Irma Watch ...

Ugh. Now we play the waiting game. I was done prepping by 3ish yesterday (windows boarded up, nonperishable food bought, yard cleaned up and stuff packed away, water put into buckets, tubs, and my kayak, coolers stocked with ice and ice blocks made, tools in an accessible are. The only things I don't have that could be usable are a generator and a chainsaw. But it's too late to get those. Heavy weather's not supposed to roll in for 3-4 hours and then last overnight.

Just saw some photos out of Steinhatchee, FL. The water is OUT of the bay and the river. Like under the main bridge into town dry.
    Overkill is underrated.

Looks like the eye just turned over land. Knocked it down to a two pretty quickly. They were showing it as a Cat 3 2/3 of the way up the state yesterday
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    Ugh. Now we play the waiting game. I was done prepping by 3ish yesterday (windows boarded up, nonperishable food bought, yard cleaned up and stuff packed away, water put into buckets, tubs, and my kayak, coolers stocked with ice and ice blocks made, tools in an accessible are. The only things I don't have that could be usable are a generator and a chainsaw. But it's too late to get those. Heavy weather's not supposed to roll in for 3-4 hours and then last overnight.

Just saw some photos out of Steinhatchee, FL. The water is OUT of the bay and the river. Like under the main bridge into town dry.
    Yeah, water is really low in Carrabelle area also. Lower than winter low tides...

Hopefully the storm will peter out as it moves north.

Wind is supposed to peak at 60 around midnight tonite here. Power is starting to flicker, may be off line shortly.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Stay safe down there guys! My uncle is in estero and his roof is coming apart. Very scary to watch everyone going through this.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Bought a .22 cal black powder 6 bbl pepperbox from checkpoint charlie's. Wasn't sure the power was going to hold to get through checkout, but it did!

We have a pretty hard rain here and some windy conditions at 6:45 PM Sunday. I've gotten 2 tornado warnings on my phone in the last hour, but nothing is nearby right now.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Don't know for sure; I'd have to pull up a topo map to find that info. They live East of I75 on the North side of the Caloosahatchee River by about a mile. I know that when it rains 5-6 inches that they are pretty surrounded by water. The barrier islands will take the brunt of the storm surge. They did during the last hurricanes.

Edit to add: Best I can tell is that they are 15-20 feet above sea level from the lousy online topo maps.
    This is purely a guess, but looking at the winds and pressures it looks like this thing has seen its badass days. It's going down hill as it goes up the Florida Peninsula and if your family is even just 10 feet above sea level they should be fine. I just don't see this thing pushing no 15 foot of water up on land. Before Harvey came in, those supposedly in the know were saying we were in for 12 foot of surge. We barely got 7.

Nothing in a hurricane is harder to accurately calculate than storm surge. Too many factors. But one thing needed to push 15 feet of water up on a street is about 140 MPH sustained wind pushing from the right direction, AND the right sea bottom contour. We didn't have that here in Harvey. We had maybe 120 MPH Sustained wind for a period after midnight, Aug. 25-Aug. 26. We might have had some gusts up to 130, maybe. If that's sustained then it's a cat four. But we didn't have the type of damage that comes with a cat four. We did have that much in 1961.

We did however have enough wind velocity that it altered the torque on my Sphincter muscle, but I've discovered that that doesn't require a cat four.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-11-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Bought a .22 cal black powder 6 bbl pepperbox from checkpoint charlie's. Wasn't sure the power was going to hold to get through checkout, but it did!
    Despite your skirts you are truly a man with balls of steel, to go and buy a gun in the middle of a Hurricane!

You be my hero dude!!!

Last edited by snake284; 09-11-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Some clown on TV saying you're still gonna have a 15 foot surge. I'll bet money you don't unless that already happened because no Cat 1 or Cat 2 is going to push that kind of surge. And this thing has most of its eye over dry land so it's not going to strengthen. Once they're over land they're going down hill. And besides, this thing is sucking in dry air. It's about to go on life support. The only way this thing would be a threat, other than flood waters from frog strangling rain is if it for some reason went left or right and went back over water. But then it would be somebody else's problem.

Snake, they got flooding but not up to their house. There are two boats in their pasture on trailers and you can't see the trailers. Another couple of feet and the water will be in the house. They're in the eye now and it's pretty calm with just light showers. Water isn't coming up any more right now. Depends on how much rain the back side of the beast dumps as to whether the water will come up any further. Right now the drainage is working. They have no storm damage other than a lot of downed limbs. So far, so good. My other friends in Ft. Myers are good also with no damage. One guy lost a single shingle off his roof.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

If that thing chain fires on ya, the recoil will be horrendous!
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Snake, they got flooding but not up to their house. There are two boats in their pasture on trailers and you can't see the trailers. Another couple of feet and the water will be in the house. They're in the eye now and it's pretty calm with just light showers. Water isn't coming up any more right now. Depends on how much rain the back side of the beast dumps as to whether the water will come up any further. Right now the drainage is working. They have no storm damage other than a lot of downed limbs. So far, so good. My other friends in Ft. Myers are good also with no damage. One guy lost a single shingle off his roof.
    Good Mike, that's good news. I think this system has about shot its wad. It may linger for awhile but it's on the way down.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-11-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Just lost my power at 9:30 PM Sunday. I have a generator, but it's only good for lights, well pump and low wattage appliances, like TV, computers, microwave, etc. The hurricanes' eye is just about on top of Sarasota right now at 10 PM. Long way to go before this area clears up.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Stay safe Noel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    I can play Army and eat outta a can, just like C-rations again.
    Hey Chief, after Harvey the Army came to Port Lavaca and brought bottled water, Ice, and MREs. I got a case of MREs but my ex stepdaughters new husband loves em so I gave him some, and my buddy was going to work in Victoria and wanted a few. I got like five packs left, LOL! They're ideal for this kind of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    Just lost my power at 9:30 PM Sunday. I have a generator, but it's only good for lights, well pump and low wattage appliances, like TV, computers, microwave, etc. The hurricanes' eye is just about on top of Sarasota right now at 10 PM. Long way to go before this area clears up.
    How big is your generator? A 7000 will handle a smaller window unit. You could shut off everything else before bed time and plug in the window unit to sleep.

If you got a Freezer just run it hooked to the generator long enough to keep stuff frozen. Then unplug it and hook it to something else. That's what my neighbor was doing. He saved my bacon and let me put an extension cord from my freezer to his generator. We took turns with that. Ran the Freezers about 6 hours a day. That kept em frozen. Then the Refrigerator the same thing. I plugged his Generator wire into a power strip and plugged different things into it. I left the phone charger plugged in all the time because it draws so little. At night I had an electric fan plugged into it. If I would have had my own generator I'd have plugged in my one window unit.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-11-2017 at 03:45 AM.

Watching the aftermath of Irma on TV. I don't mean to sound caustic and cruel, but man, when you build down in the low lands at waters edge and/or live in a trailer house in that type area you gotta expect the worst. My uncle had a place in Matagorda on the Colorado river (Not the one out west) and my dad and more uncles had places in Port O'Connor. Matagorda was about a mile from the Gulf beach at about 7 feet above sea level and Port O'Connor was about the same. When a major hurricane hits those areas you might just write it off because you probably don't have flood insurance and it's going to flood, no doubt. Nowadays you may get something from FEMA but I don't know if I agree with the government forking over billions of dollars to people who build there. Used to be those were vacation or fishing houses we built just for entertainment and if they got washed away, we just rebuilt if we could afford it on our own nickle. There has to be some responsibility on the owner's part building there. It's no secret what's going to happen when you get a 10-15 foot or higher surge or a 130 MPH wind. It's going to go. Now I see all this destruction in the keys where people were 5-6 feet above sea level. And some of these people built their retirement houses there. If they had insurance it would surprise me. And they're crying about it wanting federal aid. What am I not seeing here? If I build my home in the Florida Keys or even Port O'Connor Texas I'm going to make it where flood water won't ruin it. I'm putting it up 20 feet (Above Sea Level) on Concrete Pilings. And the ultimate fault in my opinion lies with politicians who argue and pass bills that help pay people pay for damages on the government til so they can get more votes. Gimme a break!!!
    Last edited by snake284; 09-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Power came back on about 2:00 today. We have had no power (except 5500w generator), phones or internet since Sunday night. I feel like I just got let out of jail....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    Power came back on about 2:00 today. We have had no power (except 5500w generator), phones or internet since Sunday night. I feel like I just got let out of jail....LOL
    Oh yeah, it's a great feeling when the lights come back on.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    How big is your generator? A 7000 will handle a smaller window unit. You could shut off everything else before bed time and plug in the window unit to sleep.....................
    My genny is only 5500. I kind of did what you said. I was running 2 fridges and a stand up freezer, a fan inside and TV's. If I wanted to run the well pump for showers I had to disconnect that stuff and plug the 220V outlet to my Dryer plug and I could pump water. Window air conditioners were pretty much out of the question.

I've ordered a portable 15KW unit and going to have it wired into the house for all the systems to use for the next time. I'll have it professionally done with an outdoor plug-in and a transfer switch. Not going through this crap again.

It costs about $4300-$4500 but I'm tempted to get the 20K Generac and have it hooked up to run on Natural Gas.

Got power back last night and cellular network is almost 100 %. No Internet for a few more days.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

It costs about $4300-$4500 but I'm tempted to get the 20K Generac and have it hooked up to run on Natural Gas.
    You'll love it - my used 15KW NG Generac did good for me, even with the temporary hookup. Only paid $1250 for it, plus another $700 for the transfer switch.

You'll love it - my used 15KW NG Generac did good for me, even with the temporary hookup. Only paid $1250 for it, plus another $700 for the transfer switch.
    Will the 15 KW handle a small chest type freezer, a medium Refrigerator, and a 5 ton Central AC plus 3 or 4 Ceiling fans and about lights?

All of you doing the whole house generator thing... get a slow start capacitor hooked in to your AC. That sudden power demand without one really kicks the generator's butt and wreaks havoc with the compressor motor.

Snake-- my 10kWh system runs my 3 ton unit along with everything else in the house, but the only 220 I have is for that AC unit and a the welders. My dishwasher doesn't care for those square sine waves either.

Will the 15 KW handle a small chest type freezer, a medium Refrigerator, and a 5 ton Central AC plus 3 or 4 Ceiling fans and about lights?
    My 5 ton AC is on a double 60 amp breaker in the panel, so call it 14,000 watts (60 * 120 *2 = 14,400 ) . Size a unit based on volts x amps x 1.2 for a 20 % safety factor. Running watts is different than starting watts. I want to hear about your gas bills post Irma. We cannot get natural gas and a propane unit will suck a 5 gallon can dry in just a couple hours, and we would not commit to a large propane tank. A five day outage could use 300 gallons of propane. I do not know how much it is in bulk, but a 5 gallon can here is about $5 a gallon. A $1500 outage bill for propane would hurt!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Big Dan, propane prices vary wildly by season and region. It's around $2.75/gal. up here but can vary by 50 cents upward, and hardly ever goes below the $2.75/gal. price. That's the price for filling a big tank. Small tanks like the 20, 40, and 100 pound tanks are a ripoff to get filled.

The Generacs mounted to the ground vary in price, depending on how many KW you want. The portable 15KW I ordered is about half the price of a mounted one and runs on gasoline, which is why I got this instead of a propane burning model. 15KW should be enough to run my house, but if I have to leave some things turned off it's better than what I have now.

I just checked on propane price here, have to have my tank filled before winter. $1.05 a gallon.