Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma Watch ...

Re: Hurricane Irma Watch ...

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    I sure hope so. Recent reports have shown 175-180 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 220! Cat 5 starts at 155. At those speeds we're looking at a hurricane sized F3 tornado! Let's hope it slows down considerably prior to hitting land.
    They've been saying this is the most powerful ever in the Atlantic. I have read many times in different articles that Labor Day, 1935 the storm that hit the Florida Keys had winds close to or in excess of 200 MPH. Not gusts, sustained winds of 200 MPH and that it was the most powerful tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic. That storm actually moved a large Locomotive Engine off the tracks.

As for category they use sustained wind not gusts for that. I know this because I was living here when Hurricane Carla hit here in 1961. It was a Cat Five when it was in the Gulf. It lost some zip just before land fall and came in as a cat 4. Yet we had gusts in more than one instance to 175 (Actually those gusts, one at Union Carbide Plant and one at the Alcoa plant both exceeded 175 but broke the wind measuring instruments at both locations.) But it's still rated as a strong cat 4 storm because the sustained wind did not exceed 140-145 MPH. Category 5 starts at 155.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-05-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Stores in my area (Tampa Bay) are already running out of bottled water. Batteries, bleach, and certain canned goods are nearly gone. I saw several elderly lady's at the grocery store buying Perrier & San Pellegrino. I was just trying to buy a yummy Publix sub for lunch and ALL check-outs were open with at least 7 carts deep in each. Every gas station has at least 2 or 3 car waiting for the next pump.

Doesn't anyone have a faucet in their kitchen?
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    Muck Spreading;

Get stuck behind one of those on a "B" road.

"Get a breath of that country air
    Breathe the beauty of it everywhere.........."
    The ones I operated were rear discharge. Fast spinning PTO powered plate with uprights on it the slung the 'stuff', and shields that could be used to direct the 'stuff' left, right, or to the rear in a 45° spray pattern. Adjusting the shields was no job for the faint of heart. The tank spreaders also had a hydraulic motor that ran a vacuum pump that pulled a vacuum on the tank and sucked the stuff from the pit, both chikkin and cow stuff. The pit had water added and an agitator to get the right consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Well, no kidding it kinda smelled like er............... stinky Sauerkraut of all things
    Where I grew up that smell was the smell of money. Made the grass in the pastures and hay fields grow, and the corn, soybeans, high gear, sorgum, and sugar cane grow. Free fertilizer is good! Bought fertilizer is expensive; that stuff was free. Farming where I lived was a profession in which you had to pinch a buffalo nickel until the Indian screamed and the buffalo pooped!

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    Someone finally used their noodle and came up with a game plan. Hope everyone joins the effort..................

Just send Congress down there and direct their mouths ESE. Those blowhards could turn that hurricane right back and push it right back to the coast of Africa, no sweat!

Any of you thinking of bugging out of FL, Macon, Albany, and Valdosta, GA might be worth heading for. They're far enough inland to miss the worst of the hurricane.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

The windows and doors in our new house are impact rated. In theory, we shouldn't need to board up anything.

So far, we are in a low percentage area for a hit.........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Instead of a big fan or airboats just get a bunch of people lined up with .270s and shoot her ... that should do the trick
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Went shopping this morning at 09:30, every store was out of D batteries, Home Depot and Lowes were out of plywood, one of the cashiers told me they just got a truck load in so i paid for 3 sheets and waited 1 hour while they unloaded it, topped of the gas tanks and got 10 extra gals. gas went up to $2.70. All in all were in good shape unless we get hit real hard, now all i have to worry about is my daughter in Boynton Beach and my brother and his family and Big Dan in South Miami, and if it turns north my grand daughter lives in Nags Head N.C.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Food, water, ice made, meds stocked, dog and bird food stocked, cars gassed up. Went to get gas for generator and gas stations either out of gas had lines down the road. Irma is already causing problems.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Even stores in Panama City and Pensacola are out of water
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    Instead of a big fan or airboats just get a bunch of people lined up with .270s and shoot her ... that should do the trick
    Man, never thought about that! Good idea NCFUBAR!!! That should bend the wind!!!

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I will go to Walmart tomorrow and get 1000 rounds of .270, ya think that will be enough ???

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    I will go to Walmart tomorrow and get 1000 rounds of .270, ya think that will be enough ???

JAY
    1000 rounds?!?

We're just trying to turn a storm man... not alter the course of human history! : yikes:
    Tim Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Doesn't anyone have a faucet in their kitchen?
    THIS! I have a 10 gallon stainless turkey fryer. Clean it well, fill it with tap water, put the lid on it, 10 gallons of drinking water. Fill every pot with a lid. Fill up the bathtub.

I also have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that I can fill with pool water to flush the toilets. Sometimes people are sheep...

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Looks like the predictions are trending more of an Easterly impact on FLA this weekend, either on landfall more on the West side or better yet in the Atlantic skirting the coast or heading that way after a South FLA impact.

If it stays true for the next 48 hrs and the models keep agreeing it will be "Better" for the Gulf side of FLA, but ANYTHING can and has happened with the paths of these hurricanes in the past.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 09-06-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Last year, Matthew stayed just off the coast of Florida and people breathed a sigh of relief.

I offered, " Prayers answered."

Keep praying.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    They've been saying this is the most powerful ever in the Atlantic. I have read many times in different articles that Labor Day, 1935 the storm that hit the Florida Keys had winds close to or in excess of 200 MPH. Not gusts, sustained winds of 200 MPH and that it was the most powerful tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic. That storm actually moved a large Locomotive Engine off the tracks.................
    Before there was a road connecting Miami with Key West there was a railroad. That storm completely destroyed much of it and it was never rebuilt. After that they built the Overseas Highway to the Keys.
    I DISLIKED COMMUNISTS BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAMES TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    THIS! I have a 10 gallon stainless turkey fryer. Clean it well, fill it with tap water, put the lid on it, 10 gallons of drinking water. Fill every pot with a lid. Fill up the bathtub.

I also have a bunch of 5 gallon buckets that I can fill with pool water to flush the toilets. Sometimes people are sheep...

D
    Don't forget the 40 or 50 gallons in the water heater.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

When we were camping on a regular basis, I had a few flexible 5-gallon water jugs with a built-in spigot that would fold up into a compact space when emptied. Several of those things, stored in a plastic tote would supply several days' worth of drinking and cooking water, and then fill the storage tote for bathing and toilet flushing! Buying and hoarding truckloads of bottled water has never made much sense to me.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

A local tip, fill up 1 gallon zip locks.

D

Track's shifted eastward. Center of the cone is now skirting the east coast, which still ain't great but is better for us.

Thank you Canada for sending the cold air mass and associated high southward.
    Overkill is underrated.

Good news!! Hopefully it will track farther east!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Good news!! Hopefully it will track farther east!!
    That's my hope, too. The peninsula is still in the cone, and the panhandle as far as Appalachicola, but it's looking better!

Hurricane prep when you have a family and a house is a whole lot more involved than when I was single and lived in an apartment...
    Overkill is underrated.

Stay safe guys; have a few friends that went through Andrew in the '90s and they were pretty shaken by the experience.
    Our only nature issues down here are quakes and for us living 4 blocks form the sea, tsunamis, and there's little you can do to prepare yourself against the 1st. one (The other is a consequence).

Needs to go 100 miles further east........
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by avmech View Post
    ...at least.
    Overkill is underrated.

Spent part of the afternoon prepping the house. Shutters are up, most of the small things around the yard put in the garage. Took apart the fountain, Tomorrow will fill the kayaks with water and bring in the patio furniture and hope for the best.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by avmech View Post
    She needs to go out with José ... and head north!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

As of now NOAA, the ONLY source for weather info I trust, has it hitting South GA as a cat 3 by Sunday afternoon.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    The windows and doors in our new house are impact rated. In theory, we shouldn't need to board up anything.

So far, we are in a low percentage area for a hit.........
    I hate to pop your bubble but that rating means that projectiles won't penetrate up to a certain speed, not that it won't crack. Kinda like safety glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I hate to pop your bubble but that rating means that projectiles won't penetrate up to a certain speed, not that it won't crack. Kinda like safety glass.
    I know. I watched a few Youtube video's on them. They just keep the wind from causing pressure inside house when windows fail, which causes the roof to lift (off)