Thread: Hurricane Irma gun+ confiscation, US Virgin Islands

Hurricane Irma gun+ confiscation, US Virgin Islands

Not only guns. Allows them to seize private property they believe necessary to protect the islands.

I have no knowledge of USVI law, but I assume there is gun registration.

U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of private guns, ammunition, explosives and property the National Guard may need to respond to Hurricane Irma.

Mapp signed the order Monday in preparation for Hurricane Irma. The order allows the Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands to seize private property they believe necessary to protect the islands, subject to approval by the territory’s Justice Department.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/vi...urricane-irma/
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Re: Hurricane Irma gun+ confiscation, US Virgin Islands

The USVI has strict gun laws. There you must have a license (and there are a few different types) which is not a Shall Issue thing either to own and buy firearms. They also have to register said firearms with police. The USVI has about 100,000 citizens so how many actually own firearms (legally)? Now however with Irma and her 180mph peak winds knocking on their door how many police would actually waste time going after registered firearms versus lashing down everything and preparing for Irma? Yeah, I remember what they pulled in NOLA but I'm guessing manpower in the USVI is stretched and the "allowing seizure" thing is not right but if someone there has a firearm just keep it out of sight of police and NG and don't act stupid.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

" I lost all my gus's in the last hurricane"
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    " I lost all my gus's in the last hurricane"
    Guns? What guns? Why I wouldn't have one on my property, Them things are dangerous didn't you know???
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I don't think the confiscated guns and explosives will help in hurricane defense.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Well....during Harvey, the Corps of Engineers flooded property to contain the overall damage to the greater population.

Personally, I'd rather have my property seized by the govt for a short while while they perform the tasks we've allotted them than lose everything over a perceived trampling of my individual rights.

I've been through floods. Lost the coolest house I ever owned due to the fact that if the Corps opened the gates, I'd be 8 feet underwater, along with a dozen of my neighbors. I lost it, but a couple thousand didn't because of the Corps actions.

I can't take an "individual" stance in a circumstance like this.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Paradise ... lost?

Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    Paradise ... lost?
    Pretty much..

But it was Louisiana and if you live there you expect things like that. And, btw.. Flood insurance doesn't cover much of what does flood. The receding water causes much more damage than rising water. Houston hasn't seen the worst of it yet.

Lost my home to the falling waters, not the rising ones.

Mike
    Last edited by Linefinder; 09-06-2017 at 02:45 AM.
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Well....during Harvey, the Corps of Engineers flooded property to contain the overall damage to the greater population.

Personally, I'd rather have my property seized by the govt for a short while while they perform the tasks we've allotted them than lose everything over a perceived trampling of my individual rights.

I've been through floods. Lost the coolest house I ever owned due to the fact that if the Corps opened the gates, I'd be 8 feet underwater, along with a dozen of my neighbors. I lost it, but a couple thousand didn't because of the Corps actions.

I can't take an "individual" stance in a circumstance like this.

Mike

Apples and oranges.

Flooding a dozen homes to save thousands is not comparable to disarming the population when it's at its most vulnerable.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by CaliFFL View Post
    Apples and oranges.

Flooding a dozen homes to save thousands is not comparable to disarming the population when it's at its most vulnerable.
    THIS!!! I don't see where surrendering one's means of self defense is for the good of the country. Where have we heard that before?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

If this is something where law enforcement may need to do their jobs better in an emergency, so be it (like the time police were "loaned" AR's from a LGS during the North Hollywood shootout). If this is something where they go door to door and confiscate weapons for everyone's "safety" it is a crock of crap and criminal in my opinion.

Digging around on the internet, I learned that the US supplies their National Guard with our surplus stuff and considering that every privately owned gun has to be registered, the odds of any civilian having anything more effective than the National Guard is pretty slim. This registration made it easy to locate the guns for confiscation. I also read that the NRA started legal action against the governor and the order was rescinded. I can't link the articles with my tablet but it was easy to find.

Knowing what you found out.... yea... piss on them. It is US territory. The residents are US citizens.

After the tornado pretty much destroyed Greensburg, Kansas some time back, there were all manner of reports of "gun confiscation" going on....in reality they were picking up the profusion of firearms found laying all over the place, including a number of gun safes found far afield from the homes in which they were originally located.

As far as firearms confiscation during disasters in the U.S. proper is concerned....it is prohibited under Federal Law by Title VII of the Stafford Act which was enacted after the circus that ensued during Katrina...Many States also passed their version of the act making firearm confiscation during disasters in those states illegal as well...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staf...Assistance_Act
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Fox news just challenged the governor on one of their segments and he did the typical political thing- - - - -lie like a Persian rug! The NRA was all over him like stink on a skunk, and he caved! Good for them!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Most Island Countries have very repressive gun laws anyway. I see nothing good coming out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Fox news just challenged the governor on one of their segments and he did the typical political thing- - - - -lie like a Persian rug! The NRA was all over him like stink on a skunk, and he caved! Good for them!
    Jerry
    Saw that segment. The first thing I noticed is that he looked a lot like Idi Amin minus the over the top military dictator uniform. From what I saw and heard, I wouldn't trust him to guard the contents under an outhouse.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I wouldn't trust him to guard the contents under an outhouse.
    Not even if he had a muzzle on!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post

Mike
    This whole post speaks volumes!

The vast majority of the guns seized during Katrina were never returned, or they were deliberately stored under conditions that made them rusty and useless when the owners finally managed to recover their property after a long and expensive legal battle. So much for "seized for a short time"!
    Jerry

And what does Florida and Gov Scott do? The exact opposite!!!

Floridians fleeing Hurricane Irma have been granted an additional means of protection. A 2015 Florida law known commonly as the “hurricane gun law” allows those taking part in a mandatory evacuation to carry a concealed firearm for 48 hours without a valid permit.

When Florida Governor Rick Scott signed the law in 2015, Unified Sportsmen of Florida’s Marion Hammer commented, “This bill is a no-brainer, particularly in Florida with our hurricane exposure. When you’re ordered to evacuate — to take your kids, your dog and valuables and flee — the last thing you should leave behind is your gun.”

Gov. Scott can also extend the timeline to allow evacuees to carry concealed for a greater amount of time.
    All you guys down there have a good group in Tallahassee for the most part!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post
    And what does Florida and Gov Scott do? The exact opposite!!!

I've lived here for quit a while and I think Scott is one of the best governors that we've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by NCFUBAR View Post

Florida legislators know their constituents are capable of shooting good groups- - - -ditto for Tennessee politicians. It makes them very accommodating when it comes to passing good laws!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I've lived here for quit a while and I think Scott is one of the best governors that we've ever had.
    AGREED!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug