Thread: Powder coating bullets.

Powder coating bullets.

I use a container full of powder coating, and shake the bullets around. Not terrible, but, work smart. Not hard.

https://youtu.be/VGyZK7zJV8k

And no, I haven't been drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Re: Powder coating bullets.

I have ordered 1 batch of powder coated bullets. They still leaded the crap out of my barrel. I have yet to be amused.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I have ordered 1 batch of powder coated bullets. They still leaded the crap out of my barrel. I have yet to be amused.
    But I made these. Therefore, superior.
    Work like a hot damn in my 357. These are destined for .430 SJS rounds, at 2300-ish FPS. I'll be both surprised and tickled if they don't lead the barrel. If not, they will make for Trail boss loads most certainly. And if neither of those work, they'll get shot through the muzzle loading pistol.

Post a pic of them.

If if they are of the WFN/WLN variety.

We may be best friends.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

If it's stupid, but it works... It usually looks funny.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I have a set up from harbor freight for powder coating, have not done it yet. I have heard a lot of positives and that there is little fouling with powder coated bullets.

Whether powder coated bullets lead the barrel, or not, has a lot to do with lead hardness. I start out with a hard lead mix, add stuff to make it harder, and cast the bullets. I drop the bullets in ice water bath from the mold. When the powder coated bullets come out of the toaster oven, they get dropped into an ice water bath, then sized. I shoot .357 and .44 mag bullets at jacketed velocities and haven't had any leading problems. I also powder coat twice, so that may have a lot to do with the no barrel leading.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Ok mike, here's my issue.

I've got a piece O metal with holes drilled in it, that I place my bullets nose down into that I then stick in the toaster oven. Works ok, other than the bullets stick to it and I have to pop them out. It then pulls off the PC where it was touching the metal. It hurts nothing, but it's annoying and ugly. And I have to tappy tap tap the bullets out.

So do you have the same issue, or are you doing it different?

If this works like it does in the video, this is a game changer!

https://youtu.be/nRqKGBpqVjc

All of the BS associated with coating bullets is GONE.

IF I have time this evening I'll be trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Ok mike, here's my issue.

I've got a piece O metal with holes drilled in it, that I place my bullets nose down into that I then stick in the toaster oven. Works ok, other than the bullets stick to it and I have to pop them out. It then pulls off the PC where it was touching the metal. It hurts nothing, but it's annoying and ugly. And I have to tappy tap tap the bullets out.

So do you have the same issue, or are you doing it different?
    If all you did was drill holes in the metal then I know what your problem might be. I drilled the holes in the pan, deburred the exit side of the holes, and I also used a punch the holes down just a hair to make a slight funnel. No sharp edge touches the bullets. My pans I use are also chrome plated steel 'dessert trays', and the chrome plating may help with that not sticking thing.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    If all you did was drill holes in the metal then I know what your problem might be. I drilled the holes in the pan, deburred the exit side of the holes, and I also used a punch the holes down just a hair to make a slight funnel. No sharp edge touches the bullets. My pans I use are also chrome plated steel 'dessert trays', and the chrome plating may help with that not sticking thing.
    After some SCIENCE last night, I'll NEVER do what you have set up. Gonna toss my contraption in the round file as well. Got some parchment paper, and set the bullets on it. Works like a hot damn! Zero sticking. If you place them base down they work nice. Even if you lay them on their sides it just leaves a slight flat spot that mostly comes out with sizing. Plenty good enough for handgun stuff, certainly. Now to get a toaster oven sized cookie sheet.

Now to get a toaster oven sized cookie sheet.
    What the hell? Build one from some sheet metal.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

After some SCIENCE last night, I'll NEVER do what you have set up. Gonna toss my contraption in the round file as well. Got some parchment paper, and set the bullets on it. Works like a hot damn! Zero sticking. If you place them base down they work nice. Even if you lay them on their sides it just leaves a slight flat spot that mostly comes out with sizing. Plenty good enough for handgun stuff, certainly. Now to get a toaster oven sized cookie sheet.
    Parchment paper is good non stick stuff. But I have 4 drilled dessert plates for anything from .30 to .45 cal so I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    What the hell? Build one from some sheet metal.
    I've got acces to a brake. But the $3 for a store bought pan beats custom making one.

I've got acces to a brake. But the $3 for a store bought pan beats custom making one.
    Yeah, and a Lee sizing die is twenty bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Yeah, and a Lee sizing die is twenty bucks.
    Different all together. I learned skills making the sizer.
    Cutting 4 notches and bending 4 edges, not so much.

Been powder coating for a few years, $5 Goodwill toaster over, hand made metal "tray", lay on some non stick aluminum foil, cover the bullets with powder through the tried and true shake and bake method with air soft BBs and a recycled plastic tub. With good powder coating, I've shot wheel weight bullets through my BREN 805 with minimal leading. Is a PAIN to keep the little buggers from falling over, but the powder coat on the bullet stays clean. The base will retain it's covering of powder cooked nose up, as well, no problems with thousands of 9mm and 7.62x39mm bullets cooked this way. I do prefer a harder lead for rifle bullets, and usually do so - these bullets were a "try-me" gift. Those ugly little Bator bullets really work!
    Smoke over at castboolits has some powder coat he sells that works better than the Harbor Freight stuff, but it does cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoredman View Post
    Been powder coating for a few years, $5 Goodwill toaster over, hand made metal "tray", lay on some non stick aluminum foil, cover the bullets with powder through the tried and true shake and bake method with air soft BBs and a recycled plastic tub. With good powder coating, I've shot wheel weight bullets through my BREN 805 with minimal leading. Is a PAIN to keep the little buggers from falling over, but the powder coat on the bullet stays clean. The base will retain it's covering of powder cooked nose up, as well, no problems with thousands of 9mm and 7.62x39mm bullets cooked this way. I do prefer a harder lead for rifle bullets, and usually do so - these bullets were a "try-me" gift. Those ugly little Bator bullets really work!
    Smoke over at castboolits has some powder coat he sells that works better than the Harbor Freight stuff, but it does cost more.
    How fast are you pushing the 7.62x39?

Scrubbing lead has become a chore. Future bullet purchases will find me wanting the coated pills.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

How fast are you pushing the 7.62x39?
    Not enormously fast, anywhere between 1700 and 1900 FPS, depending on load. I think my favorite load actually chronoed out at something 1775 FPS average, 129gr NOE bullet. Barrel looks shiny and clean when done, doesn't take much cleanup work at all. There is a sticky thread at castboolits dedicated to just 7.62x39mm cast data.

Edit to add I have data for the 129NOE, 128.5 Lyman, 155 and 160 Lee bullets. I think I posted it all on that mentioned sticky, as well. Had to come back and edit the horrible spelling.
    Last edited by Armoredman; 09-15-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: horrible spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Armoredman View Post
    Not enormously fast, anywhere between 1700 and 1900 FPS depending on load. I think my favorite load actually chronoed out at something 1775 FPS average, 129gr NOE bullet. Barrelloks shiney and clean when done, doesn't take much cleanup work at all. There is a stick thread at castboolits dedicated to just 7.62x39mm cast data.
    Thanks.
    I'll be looking to add another 600 FPS in a wildcat round. We will see of it holds.