Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post Irma check in thread

Re: Post Irma check in thread

As of this morning, I still do not have power. Am running the generator 24 hrs a day because at least I do have an AC system that I can run on my 7KW generator......$50 a day for fuel sucks! But, my 78 year old mother is staying with us because her house does not have power yet either, so we keep the generator running. I fly out to Los Angeles today, so I had to leave detailed instructions for my wife on taking care of the generator.

Oh man, that sucks hind teat.................I hope they restore power in your area soon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Got a text from my cousin last night with a picture of her house down in the keys. She inherited her dads house down in the keys which has been built and rebuilt at least three or four times in the last 35 plus years. The last time the builder built it to new specs to outlast a Cat 3/4 hurricane. Most of the houses in her neighborhood were rebuilt this way. No ones been allowed back as the area took a direct hit from Irma. She got picture of the front of her house from an HOA person. The house next to hers is gone which wasn't rebuilt to the new the specs. Her's however and a couple more in the pics are standing and looks great. She was told there is some roof damage in the back and deck is gone but all in all it outlasted the hurricane. She said she's heard but hasn't seen it (she lives in MD) they've been featuring the houses there that were rebuilt in her neighborhood to the new specs as to what will be required by FL for building and rebuilding moving forward.

Great news for her as she was expecting the worse. Still praying for those down folks down there waiting for power or who lost everything!

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    As of this morning, I still do not have power. Am running the generator 24 hrs a day because at least I do have an AC system that I can run on my 7KW generator......$50 a day for fuel sucks! But, my 78 year old mother is staying with us because her house does not have power yet either, so we keep the generator running. I fly out to Los Angeles today, so I had to leave detailed instructions for my wife on taking care of the generator.
    We have at least 2 people in our neighborhood who are still without power. One has a sign in the front yard, "Power line down in back yard", the other has a generator still running, but I don't know the story. At least we have water!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    For future reference, there are natural gas and propane conversion kits available for most small generators. It's pretty simple to install and the generator still works with gasoline. I broke down and bought one a while back and it works well. I start my generator like normal on gasoline and close the fuel tank valve while opening the nat gas valve. No more filling a gas tank at 2:00 AM and spilling gas all over my feet while holding a flashlight in my teeth and then driving all over the county, trying to find more gas after a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    For future reference, there are natural gas and propane conversion kits available for most small generators. It's pretty simple to install and the generator still works with gasoline. I broke down and bought one a while back and it works well. I start my generator like normal on gasoline and close the fuel tank valve while opening the nat gas valve. No more filling a gas tank at 2:00 AM and spilling gas all over my feet while holding a flashlight in my teeth and then driving all over the county, trying to find more gas after a couple of days.
    about how long will a generator run off of a grill sized propane tank?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Depends on the size of the generator, its efficiency, and the load its carrying. Mine might manage an hour or so on 2/3rds load - which tells you exactly nothing regarding your situation.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Steve, what brand do you own? Generac makes models that run strictly on Natural Gas or Propane. They are permanently piped up to either your propane tank or to your Natural Gas line. This is what I'm considering. I have natural gas piped to my house seeing I have a gas stove we cook on and I have gas for central heat. So I have the fuel source available.

I think I could get by with a 15KW if I would keep the hot water heater off most of the day and shut the AC off while I heat the water. But for another $1000 I can have a 20KW which should handle it all.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    They say propane is around 80% as efficient as gasoline so I would guess that a 5000w portable generator would get around eight hours with a light load.

Steve, what brand do you own? Generac makes models that run strictly on Natural Gas or Propane. They are permanently piped up to either your propane tank or to your Natural Gas line. This is what I'm considering. I have natural gas piped to my house seeing I have a gas stove we cook on and I have gas for central heat. So I have the fuel source available.

I think I could get by with a 15KW if I would keep the hot water heater off most of the day and shut the AC off while I heat the water. But for another $1000 I can have a 20KW which should handle it all.
    At the Fort Walton house I have a 6500W portable but the entire house is converted to gas except for the stove. (but it will be) I can run the entire house except for the central AC with it. I use 2 5000btu window shakers when we lose power to keep cool and am working on a diesel generator for the ranch house as we don't have natural gas up there.
    I don't know how big your house is but all electrical devices list the power consumption on the data plate so if you go around the house and total up everything that you need to run, you can get an idea about how big a generator you need. Bear in mind that motors draw a 300 to 400% surge on startup so you have to take this into account when sizing a generator.

At the Fort Walton house I have a 6500W portable but the entire house is converted to gas except for the stove. (but it will be) I can run the entire house except for the central AC with it. I use 2 5000btu window shakers when we lose power to keep cool and am working on a diesel generator for the ranch house as we don't have natural gas up there.
    I don't know how big your house is but all electrical devices list the power consumption on the data plate so if you go around the house and total up everything that you need to run, you can get an idea about how big a generator you need. Bear in mind that motors draw a 300 to 400% surge on startup so you have to take this into account when sizing a generator.
    That startup current load is why it's a good idea to turn off breakers before cranking up the generator and turning them back on one at a time. Loading the generator with the big ones first, then the lighter loads last. Most of the auto start ones for whole house have enough 'guts' to take the surge input, but the manual start need a little TLC to keep the voltage from dropping and the current rising to an unsafe, for the generator, level.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    That startup current load is why it's a good idea to turn off breakers before cranking up the generator and turning them back on one at a time. Loading the generator with the big ones first, then the lighter loads last. Most of the auto start ones for whole house have enough 'guts' to take the surge input, but the manual start need a little TLC to keep the voltage from dropping and the current rising to an unsafe, for the generator, level.

All true but you gotta remember that the AC is going to cycle on and off according to the t-stat setting and you aren't going to manipulate the switching of the breakers all day long.

All true but you gotta remember that the AC is going to cycle on and off according to the t-stat setting and you aren't going to manipulate the switching of the breakers all day long.
    That's true, but I was referring to initial loading. Once everything is running, one component cycling on and off, like the A/C isn't going to matter to the generator. Starting a generator and loading it at >100% initially also hoses the frequency for a few seconds as the motor spins up to speed and tries to also supply >100% power at the same time. The big whole house generators have circuitry to supposedly prevent that, but if it is sized to barely supply the 'whole house' it puts the motor/generator under unnecessary strain on startup. Even if the generator protection doesn't let it load until the motor is up to speed and the generator output voltage is correct, fully loading it all at once is going to mess with the frequency and voltage will sag momentarily, and some stuff in the house won't like that.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821