Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Irma check in thread

Re: Post Irma check in thread

Just heard from BigChief, he is OK, just waiting on power to be restored
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Our cell tower near the house .IMG_9022.jpgIMG_9022.jpg

Still running on generator power and the transceivers are a bit buggered. Internet is great under it, not so much if you are too far away. Hopefully power restoration soon and repair.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Back online at last! We just got shore power back, and along with it, Internet.

The storm blew down most of our yard fence, and grenaded one of those plastic sheds (“Puff Shed”), but no other damage here. Ran on Generator power for 3 days, thank Goddess we had it! Water is only just now starting to come through at a trickle - enough to slowly fill toilets and take spit showers.

Ran an extension cord for refrigerator and aquaria from the genny for 2 days until Home Despot opened up so I could get some wire and patch it into the house. A/C at last! Ran that way for about 30 hours, and the power came back on, so I reconnected to FPL.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

We had no property damage, fortunately. 4 days of no power other than a generator sucked. No phones or internet either. Going to get a 15KW unit and have a transfer switch and plug in outlet wired into my electric service panels. Should cover all the systems in the house better than the 5.5 KW I have now.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

From the sounds of it, the forum family seems to have survived TWO major hurricanes fairly unscathed.

THANK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I just got off the phone with Woodsrunner and he said they're fine. His power was out for three days and it's back on now. He lives just north of Tallahassee and they forecasted the storm to pass through there but he said you couldn't really tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I just got off the phone with Woodsrunner and he said they're fine. His power was out for three days and it's back on now. He lives just north of Tallahassee and they forecasted the storm to pass through there but he said you couldn't really tell.
    Thank you for that mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Just got power 1 hour ago after 91 hours without. How do the Amish do it?!?!?!
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Good to know Rich is O.K. I was beginning to wonder why he hadn't posted anything.

I've got a grand niece in Tallahassee that is a Freshman at FSU. Haven't heard from her on the normal channels. She's bound to be O.K. or I'd have heard from her Dad (my nephew).
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Just got power 1 hour ago after 91 hours without. How do the Amish do it?!?!?!
    In the dark.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    In the dark.
    I was going to say without rubbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Got electric back Wed and cable/Internet a few minutes ago. Lot of downed trees in my area, many took power lines with them.

No damage to my house I can tell, just the whole yard covered in tree branches, many with green acorns. Cleaned gutters today, threw out freezer and fridge food Wed. Could have been a lot worse. Lost Power/Comms about 930 pm night it hit.

I had a few second thoughts about staying, but it was literally too late to EVAC and the roads were packed anyway. East Coast/ Up the "Spine" of FLA then West Coast...............so big of a storm almost all the peninsula got something. I'm on the West Coast side.......

Glad everyone is OK
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Power flickered off fer a minute as they said it would sometimes just now..............anyhow my birthday was Monday (9/11) and we will celebrate next weekend. Need some time to get back to normal and all. Just thankful I'm still around and may see my next one lords a willing and the Creek Injins don't rise.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

So far it reads like our members in harms way have fared pretty well.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Glad to see you made it all right and are back online, Big Chief! Whatever you do, don't bust a gut getting the yard cleaned up! Be the tortoise instead of the hare.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Good news
    Go Cowboys go

I have a AM/FM/SW Btry/hand crank radio and some stations were operating on Gen pwr keeping us informed. Mostly the aftermath and reports on gas/damage/flooding from near JAX to Tampa and in-between. Folks were calling in giving reports on gas/water and whatnot. Lot of good folks out there and plenty of jerks too doing stupid things. The good far outnumber the bad though.

One guy bought a can of gas from a guy...........he thought..........poured it in his tank and it was water! Now that is sorry, ought to string him up for that.

BTW they were estimating 75% of the orange groves/crops were destroyed............so OJ will get pricey. Hope it ain't that bad.

Yesterday local Walmart had lots of Auto Match .22 with a 'Rollback' price of $14 and some change per 325 rds baby brick. And plenty of other .22.................I don't need any, but glad to see it. Maybe next visit if they are still flush, maybe I'll buy a couple just because.............

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    BTW they were estimating 75% of the orange groves/crops were destroyed............so OJ will get pricey. Hope it ain't that bad.
    Better not switch to prune juice until all the logistical utilities are up and running.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Power has flickered on and off momentarily today like they said it would, but a feeling of dread when it does and have to wait for the cable box to recycle through its paces for a few minutes every time.

I ought to quit resetting the digital clocks for a few days..........box and I-phone has the time anyway. I don't bother with the coffee pot or microwave............4 time devices is too many in the kitchen anyhow.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 09-16-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Meanwhile, just East of Tampa...

I had to work through the storm, 30hrs in alternating 5hr shifts which sucked. The wife and kids stayed in a local shelter (nearby High School).

The eye went right over our area. 90ish winds and rain blowing sideways during the peak hrs.

We were lucky, our house sustained no damage, just lots of small debris across the yard, but we did not get power back until late Thursday evening. Fortunately some friends put us up in their house (who still had power) for that time period.

Unfortunately we must have a local cell tower down or something, because our cell phones have almost no signal at all, when normally the signal is excellent. Verizon is our carrier.

In any case, we were blessed to have no serious issues.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Glad to see everyone checking in came through fairly unscathed
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Good to know Rich is O.K. I was beginning to wonder why he hadn't posted anything.

Rich hasn't posted in a while because he's working hiself to death. He said he has a big okra crop to deal with and he has corn to grind. He's in his late seventies and he works from sunup to sundown, seven days a week. He already retired from the Navy and the Forestry Service and his wife Maria has a good job with the State so he doesn't need anything but he can't bring hiself to retire completely and relax. I worry about him.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    From the sounds of it, the forum family seems to have survived TWO major hurricanes fairly unscathed.

THANK YOU!
    Nothing short of a Miracle. And that was two Hurricanes that made landfall as Cat 4s.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Glad to see everyone checking in came through fairly unscathed
    Amen!!
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

If I still was a drinking man.................I may have drank a "Hurricane" or two as that witch Irma blew through.......................

Rich hasn't posted in a while because he's working hiself to death. He said he has a big okra crop to deal with and he has corn to grind. He's in his late seventies and he works from sunup to sundown, seven days a week. He already retired from the Navy and the Forestry Service and his wife Maria has a good job with the State so he doesn't need anything but he can't bring hiself to retire completely and relax. I worry about him.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Glad to hear he's OK , I learned a long time ago just because your retired you cant sit on your butt, staying active is the best thing for us as we get older.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    Glad to hear he's OK , I learned a long time ago just because your retired you cant sit on your butt, staying active is the best thing for us as we get older.

JAY
    Staying active is one thing but heavy physical labor all day long is way beyond that. Heck, Debbie retired a couple of months ago and she's been busier now than ever.