Thread: National Park Service looking for hunters......

National Park Service looking for hunters......

As the title says, the NPS is looking for volunteers to shoot buffalo at the Grand Canyon. I can't post a link on my phone. Some of you western members might want to look into it

Re: National Park Service looking for hunters......

Thanks, I appreciate the info...

But I shot and ate two in two years. That's been a few years ago, and I'm still sick of anything buffalo. Safeway sells beef.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

I went to a chain restaurant that sells Buffalo steaks and had tbe best cut on the menu..... wasn't as good as mediocre beef

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post

But I shot and ate two in two years. That's been a few years ago, and I'm still sick of anything buffalo. Safeway sells beef.

Mike
    Ah, you're so right because there is NOTHING like beef. If I killed a buffalo I'd probably give a lot of it to my kids and make some sausage. All the libbies want us to quit eating beef. It's not healthy. Yeah right! I been eating beef since I could chew and I'm 69 years old and in pretty good shape. Gimme da beef, It's what's for dinner!

I still want to kill a buffalo though. Just once, so if anybody has the web site or contact info I'd appreciate if you'd give it to me.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-12-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Mike
    Go old school, make the whole buffalo into pemmican.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Go old school, make the whole buffalo into pemmican.
    I went even older school than that, and turned two buffalo into poop.

Same/Same.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-18-21-18

Here's the link from Associated Press.

Same/Same.

Mike
    Buckets and buckets full...........
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Gotta use non-lead ammo so if one of those prehistoric buzzards flies over from California to snack on the gut pile it won't get lead poisoning! Maybe they're dying out because they ran out of dinosaur carcasses to eat!

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

So in Rocky Mountain national park the wanted hunters to thin the elk a few years back. I thought great sign me up! Then the catch, you have to get qualified to shoot. Then you are in a lottery to get drawn to shoot. Once your number is up you have 24 hours to contact them and another 24 hrs to shoot an elk they choose with Ranger in tow. The you get to pack it out, but no help from Ranger Rick. Oh you have to take it all, guts, hide and all. Only blood left on the ground. To top off all that effort you get ZERO MEAT! Zip, zero, nada, it all goes to a previously selected donation sight, but YOU get to pay the processing and transport it there. Typical government screw up of a great idea.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk creek View Post
    So in Rocky Mountain national park the wanted hunters to thin the elk a few years back. I thought great sign me up! Then the catch, you have to get qualified to shoot. Then you are in a lottery to get drawn to shoot. Once your number is up you have 24 hours to contact them and another 24 hrs to shoot an elk they choose with Ranger in tow. The you get to pack it out, but no help from Ranger Rick. Oh you have to take it all, guts, hide and all. Only blood left on the ground. To top off all that effort you get ZERO MEAT! Zip, zero, nada, it all goes to a previously selected donation sight, but YOU get to pay the processing and transport it there. Typical government screw up of a great idea.
    I can't imagine that was a very popular program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Same/Same.

Mike
    Ah... you didn't just happen to put it in buckets did you?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-11-18-21-18

Here's the link from Associated Press.
    From the article:

Some bison would be shipped out of the area and others legally hunted on the adjacent forest. Within the Grand Canyon, shooters would be selected through a lottery to help bring the number of bison roaming the far northern reaches of the park to no more than 200 within three to five years.
    The Kaibab forest hunt is a also lottery hunt with none of the NPS BS. 1500 applicants for 122 tags. Odds are not too bad.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Mike
    Mike can thank, or maybe it's blame, me for the first one. I learned my lesson after shooting one. The second one is all on him.

For the first one, someone told me about a semi-local rancher who had a herd of bison cows. For a mere $800, you could shoot and keep one. I did the math, incorrectly, and thought it might be a good way to get some cheap meat.

I was wrong.

By the time all was said and done, the meat cost $10/lb. or more, and wasn't all that good. The flavor was ok, but the texture was enough different from beef that it really wasn't a great dining experience. A lot of it was turned into jerky, which was good.

I was also told that the older bulls are tougher than a boot, and about the only way to eat them is to turn them into ground meat.

Even if I lived nearby the park, I would pass.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Jerry summed it up better than I.....

Just a word of advice regarding cost. Whatever a buff weighs on the hoof, you can expect a 25% meat yield.

The last buff I shot weighed 625 pounds and cost me $880 for the hunting equivalent of whacking Elsie the cow. She yielded exactly 125 of edible meat. It cost another $325 to get it processed, even after giving the processor the very nice hide.

So...$1105 for 125 that you could eat.

Not a great deal.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

Jerry summed it up better than I.....

Just a word of advice regarding cost. Whatever a buff weighs on the hoof, you can expect a 25% meat yield.

The last buff I shot weighed 625 pounds and cost me $880 for the hunting equivalent of whacking Elsie the cow. She yielded exactly 125 of edible meat. It cost another $325 to get it processed, even after giving the processor the very nice hide.

So...$1105 for 125 that you could eat.

Not a great deal.

Mike
    I shot a buddy's cow that had gotten down, in the head with a .380 and then we processed it ourselves. Sounds like a similar experience, except I was only out the price of a .380 round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Sorry, I missed the number. I got 154 lbs of meat.

$7.17 per pound, and this was in 2009. Not counting the gas and 368 .270 Win bullets it took me to kill it.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

Working on the Refuge...we got to eat quite a bit of bison....the best meat came from young cows and bulls....not surprisingly the same critters plains Indians targeted during their hunts...meat was better and the hides were smaller and easier to handle......the older bison get the more the palatability suffers. We had the backstraps and tenderloins from a two year old bull that broke a hip and it just melted in your mouth....the rest of the carcass went into the grinder...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Still not sure if you get to keep any meat, that hasn't been decided yet. And if you do, it'll be shared with volunteers and local tribes. No horns no hides, those go to tribes as well. Sounds like qualifying to shoot AND hike/pack will be required.... and you might end up with a roast or two
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

?.....and 368 .270 Win bullets it took me to kill it.

Mike
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ......the older cattle get the more the palatability suffers.
    Try to choke down a steak from a 10 year old Angus breeder bull sometime- - - - - -all he's good for is hamburger, too! One of our neighbors had a bull that broke his bull equipment on a spooky heifer and had to be slaughtered. Most of that one went straight to the grinder, also!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Try to choke down a steak from a 10 year old Angus breeder bull sometime- - - - - -all he's good for is hamburger, too! One of our neighbors had a bull that broke his bull equipment on a spooky heifer and had to be slaughtered. Most of that one went straight to the grinder, also!
    Jerry
    So I gather that's not what they mean by aged beef?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Still not sure if you get to keep any meat, that hasn't been decided yet. And if you do, it'll be shared with volunteers and local tribes. No horns no hides, those go to tribes as well. Sounds like qualifying to shoot AND hike/pack will be required.... and you might end up with a roast or two
    There's a shock. "You do the work, we want the benefit" a federal government specialty.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

On my buffalo hunt last year the guide recommended we shoot an 18 month to 2 year old bull. He said anything much older and you really start to give up taste. I went with an 18 month old and he tasted greaaat! They say the old bulls are only good for chili meat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    On my buffalo hunt last year the guide recommended we shoot an 18 month to 2 year old bull. He said anything much older and you really start to give up taste. I went with an 18 month old and he tasted greaaat! They say the old bulls are only good for chili meat!
    I've also heard that the older bulls are so tough about the only way to eat them is to turn them into ground meat.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Not counting the gas and 368 .270 Win bullets it took me to kill it.

Mike
    LMAO!
    Post of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?