Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Here's a pic from my one and only canned hunt. Back before feral hogs got to be an epidemic, a bunch of people near Crossville Tennessee ran high-fenced areas and basically farmed the remnants of the Russian boars that were imported a hundred years ago for private hunting lodges. The result of those animals crossing with free-range domestic pigs in the area resulted in some pretty big crossbreeds.

The same lodge offered various exotics, mostly African antelope for outrageous prices, but if my hunt was any example, it wouldn't have appealed to me at all.
    Jerry
    Loshbough?

If so that is the one I went to. We went in the summer and there was no one else there. The pen is now 700+ ac and while there is a real good chance you will get one, with no one else around you have to work some. We tried dogs for one just for the experience and we covered 8.1 miles chasing the dogs around. Next day we went back to stalking. It wasnt hard, but is was far harder than sitting at a bait pile. I would do pigs again there.

The exotics are across the road in a pasture.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    Loshbough?
    That name doesn't ring a bell, but I don't remember the name of the place I went. It was a little northeast of Monterey TN, just on the western edge of the Cumberland Plateau. That area was the location of several hunting clubs owned by wealthy damyankees around the turn of the 20th. Century. They imported Russian boars to hunt. Those animals promptly escaped their enclosures and commenced to do what all hogs do- - - -breed everything in sight including the local free-range domestic pigs. In the 1960's some enterprising landowners erected high fences and started selling guided hunts. They would live trap and swap hogs amongst themselves to build up a huntable population and replenish their stock. Sometime later the same lodge operators started offering African game at outrageous prices. At one time I had the website of the lodge I visited saved, but that went away with a hard drive crash 2 or 3 computers ago.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

I say, whatever you shoot or however you do it, as long as it's legal and you want to do it, if you can afford it and you feel it will give you pleasure, get after it. don't care if the guide drives you up to a cage and tells you to shoot the animal, if that's what you want, do it. It's your nickle.

As for me, neither can I afford it, nor do I think it would give me the pleasure. If I had unlimited funds for my personal entertainment, I would go to Africa and Alaska and go on a couple of real in the wild guided hunts. But as of now the 6 numbers have alluded me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

High fence hunts can be hit or miss. I've seen some that were less than a hundred acres and some that were several thousand. I had my own views of such "hunts" until I spent some time helping at one. There were some species that were tamer than others but it changed my view point some. If done right with enough property and terrain I was completely suprised at how much harder if was than I had thought. It is not for everybody and it is still not my cup of tea. But I do have a different view on it now. I would have no problem hunting plainsgame in South Africa or Namibia on some of high fenced operations that are 8-12000 hectares. Africa is also the best bang for you're buck as far as hunting. You can go hunt free range plainsgame for $350-600 a day with good trophy fees. You can do 4-6 species for less than a lot of guided mule deer or elk hunts.

Bullsi1911 nilgai aren't from Africa. There from India and Pakistan. The Auodad are from Africa and the gemsbuck in NewMexico are also.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny reb View Post
    Bullsi1911 nilgai aren't from Africa. There from India and Pakistan. The Auodad are from Africa and the gemsbuck in NewMexico are also.
    Gemsbok are African
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Gemsbok are African
    Isn't that what he said?
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Back in the 90s one of my closest friends and hunting buddy told me he wanted to shoot a wild boar, so i booked a " canned hunt" with the Lightsey Cattle Co. they own a 2000+ acre island in Lake Kissimmee, it cost $500. each, we were there 3 days, stayed in a beautiful lodge, first class accommodations, great food. My friend Mike is a bow hunter, we did not sit in a stand overlooking a food plot, we ran thru the swamp following the dogs, worked our butts off, I got a 200lb boar, Mike arrowed one about 275lb he than paid extra to get a Barbary sheep (Aoudad) . There were no hidden costs, it was supposed to be a 2 day hunt, we were never charged extra for the added day, we did tip the guides as they skinned, quartered and packed the meat with dry ice in our coolers. This was the only canned hunt i ever did, it was fair chase and we worked for our game.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Isn't that what he said?
    Dang, yup he did. Saw India, didn't reread. Guilty of skimming
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.