Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 69

Thread: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

  1. #1
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,143

    How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    For those who don't know, a hind is what they call a female red deer.

    I went to a dinner last week. There was a guest speaker who made a presentation about a high fence deer "farm" he has. The farm is not far from here, and has some truly awesome whitetail bucks on it. He had the skull and antlers of one that he found dead. It was amazingly huge. And, according to him, it was the 3rd largest buck on his property.

    But, I digress.

    He also has some red deer, including at least one really nice stag. He doesn't like them, though, as they eat a lot and are mean. So, I asked him how much he would charge me to shoot one of the hinds. I have been told that red deer meat is excellent, and thought it might be a good way to get reasonably priced meat.

    As was the case in my bison adventure, I was wrong. He wanted $1000 to shoot one. A big hind might tip the scales at 400 lbs., if that much, so I lost interest.

    FWIW, I don't fault the guy for his asking price. He spends about $5-6K a year in feed and food plots and that will probably double this year. He does sell some of his bucks for a phenomenal fee ($25kish). By sell, I mean lets "hunters" in to shoot them inside a 202 acre high fence property. I think he also said he is trying to sell one of the red deer stags for about $25k.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    At the risk of offending someone...
    If you spend 25 THOUSAND dollars to shoot (not hunt) a deer, you're ing stupid. And making up for a very, very small penis.

    But, who am I to judge?



    Back on track, you could probably get a side of beef for less than $1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,252

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    I have actually hunted on a couple of game ranches in Texas years ago not for high dollar trophies but rather to have a variety of mounts. Many of the ranches would allow folks to shoot culls for a few hundred dollars back then. I shot a stunted, non symetrical white dahl at one place for two hundred bucks and I'd never be able to afford one in the wild.I've also shot a couple of corsicans and a mouflan for a few hundred each also but non of these animals are even close to a trophy. Just for a variety of cool looking mounts. I can't fathom paying big bucks to shoot a big trophy on a high fenced ranch though as that eliminates the whole hunting factor and reduces it to killing a big head.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  4. #4
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,249

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    For those who don't know, a hind is what they call a female red deer.

    I went to a dinner last week. There was a guest speaker who made a presentation about a high fence deer "farm" he has. The farm is not far from here, and has some truly awesome whitetail bucks on it. He had the skull and antlers of one that he found dead. It was amazingly huge. And, according to him, it was the 3rd largest buck on his property.

    But, I digress.

    He also has some red deer, including at least one really nice stag. He doesn't like them, though, as they eat a lot and are mean. So, I asked him how much he would charge me to shoot one of the hinds. I have been told that red deer meat is excellent, and thought it might be a good way to get reasonably priced meat.

    As was the case in my bison adventure, I was wrong. He wanted $1000 to shoot one. A big hind might tip the scales at 400 lbs., if that much, so I lost interest.

    FWIW, I don't fault the guy for his asking price. He spends about $5-6K a year in feed and food plots and that will probably double this year. He does sell some of his bucks for a phenomenal fee ($25kish). By sell, I mean lets "hunters" in to shoot them inside a 202 acre high fence property. I think he also said he is trying to sell one of the red deer stags for about $25k.
    Freakin' Greedy A Hole! That's what some of the farmers around here will tell you about hogs. They bitch and complain about hogs but then when you offer to help them with their problem they want you to fork over money.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,252

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    That's what some of the farmers around here will tell you about hogs. They bitch and complain about hogs but then when you offer to help them with their problem they want you to fork over money.
    I lived outside of Fort Worth from 1986 to 1994 and hogs were just starting to show up just west around Weatherford and ranchers thought that they could get big bucks for letting people hunt them but they wanted quit a few hundred dollars per pig. They had few takers for that price and now pigs are everywhere around west Fort Worth and rooting up yards and gardens.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  6. #6
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,575

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    At the risk of offending someone...
    If you spend 25 THOUSAND dollars to shoot (not hunt) a deer, you're ing stupid. And making up for a very, very small penis.

    But, who am I to judge?



    Back on track, you could probably get a side of beef for less than $1000
    Anyone that can afford to shoot a $25,000 deer is certainly not stupid. Stupid people don't have that kind of cash. I know it's difficult to put yourself in another man's boots but if you are a CEO or owner of a successful business you "free" time is measured in hours per month. Vacations are not exactly easy to come by either, so if you feel like spending some time "outdoors" it won't be with CPJ trying to start his 4 wheeler on his family property so he can get to his homemade blind and hope for a deer to come by.

    This person has his secretary call a place that has these $25,000 deer and arrange for a private plane to take you there. You are then taken to the ranch by limo, you get out, your guide takes you to a nice pre built blind on a brand new comfortable off-road vehicle, you shoot a huge trophy, you then retire to a nice den where expensive cigars, scotch and a gourmet meal will be shared with same hearted and just as well heeled individuals (which will hopefully improve your business network), next morning your driver picks you up to take you back to your private plane.

    A few weeks later your trophy mount magically appears in your home or office for everyone to admire because most of the folks that will walk into your office/home will never get to SEE, less shoot an animal like this one.

    That life is foreign to most of us but it's certainly not a life led by "stupid" people...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  7. #7
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    8,608

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Anyone that can afford to shoot a $25,000 deer is certainly not stupid. Stupid people don't have that kind of cash. I know it's difficult to put yourself in another man's boots but if you are a CEO or owner of a successful business you "free" time is measured in hours per month. Vacations are not exactly easy to come by either, so if you feel like spending some time "outdoors" it won't be with CPJ trying to start his 4 wheeler on his family property so he can get to his homemade blind and hope for a deer to come by.

    This person has his secretary call a place that has these $25,000 deer and arrange for a private plane to take you there. You are then taken to the ranch by limo, you get out, your guide takes you to a nice pre built blind on a brand new comfortable off-road vehicle, you shoot a huge trophy, you then retire to a nice den where expensive cigars, scotch and a gourmet meal will be shared with same hearted and just as well heeled individuals (which will hopefully improve your business network), next morning your driver picks you up to take you back to your private plane.

    A few weeks later your trophy mount magically appears in your home or office for everyone to admire because most of the folks that will walk into your office/home will never get to SEE, less shoot an animal like this one.

    That life is foreign to most of us but it's certainly not a life led by "stupid" people...
    There are LOTS of people that have inherited money, not all of them are CEO's or successful business people, and there are plenty of people that have made money and pissed it away, stupidity crosses all cultural and socioeconomic boundaries.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

  8. #8
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,249

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Anyone that can afford to shoot a $25,000 deer is certainly not stupid. Stupid people don't have that kind of cash. I know it's difficult to put yourself in another man's boots but if you are a CEO or owner of a successful business you "free" time is measured in hours per month. Vacations are not exactly easy to come by either, so if you feel like spending some time "outdoors" it won't be with CPJ trying to start his 4 wheeler on his family property so he can get to his homemade blind and hope for a deer to come by.

    This person has his secretary call a place that has these $25,000 deer and arrange for a private plane to take you there. You are then taken to the ranch by limo, you get out, your guide takes you to a nice pre built blind on a brand new comfortable off-road vehicle, you shoot a huge trophy, you then retire to a nice den where expensive cigars, scotch and a gourmet meal will be shared with same hearted and just as well heeled individuals (which will hopefully improve your business network), next morning your driver picks you up to take you back to your private plane.

    A few weeks later your trophy mount magically appears in your home or office for everyone to admire because most of the folks that will walk into your office/home will never get to SEE, less shoot an animal like this one.

    That life is foreign to most of us but it's certainly not a life led by "stupid" people...
    Well said! It's not stupid if you have the means. You're paying for a lot more than just the animal. But of course that's a different case than wanting to shoot a few menacing pestulant pigs while at the same time helping a rancher rid his land of the pests. That shouldn't cost you money, that should be a win-win for both you and the land owner.

    Also, in the case Jerry mentioned, the guy said he didn't like the red deer. He sounded as though he viewed them as pests. In that case he IS a greedy A Hole because he wants his cake and eat it too. Screw him. I hope the pigs and red deer take his land over and run all the white tail off.
    Last edited by snake284; 09-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Teach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dellrose TN
    Posts
    17,105

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    For a few bucks extra the "guide" will even shoot the deer (or exotic animal of your choice) for you, and photoshop your picture into the obligatory glossy coffee table book that magically appears with the finished mount. No need at all to even show up and pull the trigger.. Those big scary rifles kick, ya know!

    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

  10. #10
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Anyone that can afford to shoot a $25,000 deer is certainly not stupid. Stupid people don't have that kind of cash. I know it's difficult to put yourself in another man's boots but if you are a CEO or owner of a successful business you "free" time is measured in hours per month. Vacations are not exactly easy to come by either, so if you feel like spending some time "outdoors" it won't be with CPJ trying to start his 4 wheeler on his family property so he can get to his homemade blind and hope for a deer to come by.

    This person has his secretary call a place that has these $25,000 deer and arrange for a private plane to take you there. You are then taken to the ranch by limo, you get out, your guide takes you to a nice pre built blind on a brand new comfortable off-road vehicle, you shoot a huge trophy, you then retire to a nice den where expensive cigars, scotch and a gourmet meal will be shared with same hearted and just as well heeled individuals (which will hopefully improve your business network), next morning your driver picks you up to take you back to your private plane.

    A few weeks later your trophy mount magically appears in your home or office for everyone to admire because most of the folks that will walk into your office/home will never get to SEE, less shoot an animal like this one.

    That life is foreign to most of us but it's certainly not a life led by "stupid" people...
    This is total BS. I don't care how much money you have, there's no way you'll get your trophy mount in a few weeks.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  11. #11
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Anyone that can afford to shoot a $25,000 deer is certainly not stupid. Stupid people don't have that kind of cash. I know it's difficult to put yourself in another man's boots but if you are a CEO or owner of a successful business you "free" time is measured in hours per month. Vacations are not exactly easy to come by either, so if you feel like spending some time "outdoors" it won't be with CPJ trying to start his 4 wheeler on his family property so he can get to his homemade blind and hope for a deer to come by.

    This person has his secretary call a place that has these $25,000 deer and arrange for a private plane to take you there. You are then taken to the ranch by limo, you get out, your guide takes you to a nice pre built blind on a brand new comfortable off-road vehicle, you shoot a huge trophy, you then retire to a nice den where expensive cigars, scotch and a gourmet meal will be shared with same hearted and just as well heeled individuals (which will hopefully improve your business network), next morning your driver picks you up to take you back to your private plane.

    A few weeks later your trophy mount magically appears in your home or office for everyone to admire because most of the folks that will walk into your office/home will never get to SEE, less shoot an animal like this one.

    That life is foreign to most of us but it's certainly not a life led by "stupid" people...
    My apologies, they likely are not stupid. Just big pussies who need to pad their egos with so called "trophys". Brag about their "accomplishment". Accomplishment meaning writing a check and pulling a trigger. Quite the mighty hunter. "Trophys" so big people won't ever see unless they walk into their home or office. Of course the main reason they won't see them is they will have to go to a deer farm to see the unnaturally large specimens...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  12. #12
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    This is total BS. I don't care how much money you have, there's no way you'll get your trophy mount in a few weeks.
    I do know of an exception. A local taxidermist shop I used to service did mounts for hunts done by kids with terminal illness. Time unfortunately was of the essence, so he worked his butt off to get them done. And he put the kids mounts first, ahead of the guys who spent 25,000 to kill a trophy _______ (fill in the blank)
    Which funny enough he had a pretty low opinion of, but, they signed big checks so....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I do know of an exception. A local taxidermist shop I used to service did mounts for hunts done by kids with terminal illness. Time unfortunately was of the essence, so he worked his butt off to get them done. And he put the kids mounts first, ahead of the guys who spent 25,000 to kill a trophy _______ (fill in the blank)
    Which funny enough he had a pretty low opinion of, but, they signed big checks so....
    The time consuming part of creating a mount is tanning the cape. The only taxidermist I have ever used would prepare the cape, and send it off for tanning. This usually took several months. The taxidermist you have mentioned must have a ready supply of tanned capes, or know of some super fast way to tan them.

    The cape on the elk in my avatar came from one that the taxidermist already had. I cut the cape to short, so they had to use a different one. It had been kept frozen, but I don't know if it had already been fleshed, or whatever they call it. It still took about 4 months, and some of the people I knew thought that was a fast turnaround.

    And that's about all I know about taxidermy.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  14. #14
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    The actual tanning process is fast. Couple days to to a week depending on the method. It's simply a matter of how backed up a guy is. But they both planned around the hunts, to make sure the kids got a chance to get their trophy back. The guy I knew also sent his out to be tanned as well. He skinned it, and shipped it off. I asked why he didn't do it himself. He said the time he woukd spend doing that was better spent doing the artistry. Cost was passed along to the customer anyway, and he said he hated doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Dr. db's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,538
    One of our local restaurants that has a large selection of game meat has elk on the menu. Waiter told me I t is really ranch raised red deer from NZ. Orchid....Orchid....

  16. #16
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,898

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Some may be willing to pay $25K for an animal.

    I am am not one of those "some".

    I am not even willing to pay $1K for a red deer hind. So, I might screw your results.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  17. #17
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,575

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    This is total BS. I don't care how much money you have, there's no way you'll get your trophy mount in a few weeks.
    You are right! My bad!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  18. #18
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,898

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Enzo is wrong.

    There are many varying levels of stupid.

    Paying $25K for a Red Deer Stag off of that ranch is likely stupid. Not saying it's wrong. But, it IS stupid.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  19. #19
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,575

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    There are LOTS of people that have inherited money, not all of them are CEO's or successful business people, and there are plenty of people that have made money and pissed it away, stupidity crosses all cultural and socioeconomic boundaries.
    Exactly, so assuming someone is stupid because they can pay a lot of money for a throphy makes no sense to me. I can say from personal experience I have not met a lot of stupid rich people. But I do believe the ones that are get a lot of press. I don't believe they are the majority.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  20. #20
    Senior Member BigDanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)
    Posts
    6,315

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. db View Post
    One of our local restaurants that has a large selection of game meat has elk on the menu. Waiter told me I t is really ranch raised red deer from NZ. Orchid....Orchid....
    I looked into this a few years ago, and I believe it is not legal to sell USA elk meat.

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

  21. #21
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,575

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Enzo is wrong.

    There are many varying levels of stupid.

    Paying $25K for a Red Deer Stag off of that ranch is likely stupid. Not saying it's wrong. But, it IS stupid.
    Money is all a matter of perspective. Some would judge your firearms collection and expenditures as stupid. I'm sure you think spending $1,500 for one fishing reel is idiotic. Some think owning a boat is the top of the stupid chain. Other think owning a fancy pickup truck is ridiculous, and so on... being judgemental, specially without a full view of personal facts is a nice fun game we all play.

    Now let's try a quick test. I don't think you are a tennis fan right? Would you pay $1,000 a head to bring 15 of your buddies to a tennis match at the US open?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  22. #22
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Money is all a matter of perspective. Some would judge your firearms collection and expenditures as stupid. I'm sure you think spending $1,500 for one fishing reel is idiotic. Some think owning a boat is the top of the stupid chain. Other think owning a fancy pickup truck is ridiculous, and so on... being judgemental, specially without a full view of personal facts is a nice fun game we all play.

    Now let's try a quick test. I don't think you are a tennis fan right? Would you pay $1,000 a head to bring 15 of your buddies to a tennis match at the US open?

    We've moved passed stupid. We said they must not be too stupid to be rich enough spend 25k to shoot a deer. We've moved on to tiny penis syndrome.



    But side note, all the items you mentioned have resale value. Except for the queer tennis match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  23. #23
    Moderator Jayhawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manistee Natl Forest
    Posts
    12,401

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    There is a"ranch" a few miles North of us that specialize in whitetail....asking price for one of their bucks is between 15 and 20K...a cull hunt is between 5 and 7K...they also offer turkey hunt for $1600.00.

    I have seen a number of their bucks through the fence and there is nothing normal about them..... they're freaks, monstrous non-typical antlers you would rarely, if ever, see in nature.

    The turkeys as far as I know are local birds that fly over the fence to their feeders...that I can shoot outside the fence for a little bit of nothing.

    It would be a cold day in hell before I would pay that kind of money for a musty old rutting buck..
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 09-13-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

  24. #24
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,252

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    There is a"ranch" a few miles North of us that specialize in whitetail....asking price for one of their bucks is between 15 and 20K...a cull hunt is between 5 and 7K...
    It would be a cold day in hell before I would pay that kind of money for a musty old rutting buck..
    I think that's becoming a growing business as two high fence places like that opened up about thirty minutes from my old lease. There's even some places now that sell deer with those kinda genes that you can release on your property or they will capture (dart) a doe from your property and impregnate it with sperm from one of those bucks and release it back on your property.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  25. #25
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    22,575

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    We've moved passed stupid. We said they must not be too stupid to be rich enough spend 25k to shoot a deer. We've moved on to tiny penis syndrome.



    But side note, all the items you mentioned have resale value. Except for the queer tennis match.
    Yep, but the queer tennis match netted my company about $30 million in new contracts so it was a very savvy business move. Now most folks would not know the motivation that would lead anyone to spend that kind of cash on a "queer" tennis match no? My point is that there are all sort of motivations to spend big money and we only get to see one aspect of it which is the price tag.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  26. #26
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    34,119

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Yep, but the queer tennis match netted my company about $30 million in new contracts so it was a very savvy business move. Now most folks would not know the motivation that would lead anyone to spend that kind of cash on a "queer" tennis match no? My point is that there are all sort of motivations to spend big money and we only get to see one aspect of it which is the price tag.
    A business investment isn't the same as bragging that you are the mighty hunter. Sure you could gain use the fake trophy as a tool to gain business, but when you brag and boast that your a mighty hunter....no, you're not. You're a DB with a credit card and a secretary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  27. #27
    Senior Member SIGgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    very rural New Jersey
    Posts
    801

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    I would never pay to kill an animal, let alone $25,000. If I'm going to hunt, it will be wild animals and in the traditional sense of paying licensing fee only lol.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

  28. #28
    Senior Member Jeff in TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    J&D Ranch - North Central TX
    Posts
    947

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Money is all a matter of perspective. Some would judge your firearms collection and expenditures as stupid. I'm sure you think spending $1,500 for one fishing reel is idiotic. Some think owning a boat is the top of the stupid chain. Other think owning a fancy pickup truck is ridiculous, and so on... being judgemental, specially without a full view of personal facts is a nice fun game we all play.

    Now let's try a quick test. I don't think you are a tennis fan right? Would you pay $1,000 a head to bring 15 of your buddies to a tennis match at the US open?
    A lot of truth in this statement. Five years ago my gun collection was over the top with many custom rifles that I didn't mind paying $2500 to $3800 over the years. I've downsized it a lot since then. I can look at some of my friends and FIL's golf clubs and think are you nuts spending that kind of money on those things. Same thing they might think of my rifle collection or my custom turkey call collection...are you nuts Folks who are successful in life enjoy the ability to travel, collect fine wines and what have you and invest their money into things they're passionate about.

    There are once in lifetime hunts out there such as one or all of the big 5 in Africa, trophy Red Stag in New Zealand a Grizzly or big horn sheep in hunt in Alaska or some type of mutant whitetail hunt. Some of these critters fetch up to $25K for the hunt. Too much for this poor dumb educated country boy to pay, but lord knows I'd love to go on a couple of them.

    I see it as most folks splurge on things they're passionate about that are within their means and budgets rich or poor. We can step back and say that's nuts, just as someone else could say the same about our passions. If you're wealthy and have the the means I say go for it, no different than what I do on my budget!

  29. #29
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Tx.
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    How much would you (not meant to anyone in particular) pay for an African safari, whether it be for strictly plains game, buffalo, big cats, elephants or whatever? Just the cost of transportation keeps me from going.

    I've obviously never been on such a hunt, but everything I know about them is that they're truly fair chase. But, the hunters typically have nice living quarters, good food prepared by someone other than themselves, a professional hunter who knows the game and territory, and expert native trackers. Is it stupid to pony up whatever that costs?

    I know that some of our members have made such hunts, and might take exception to this response, but there's all levels of what some consider acceptable and not.

    The closest I've come to a guided anything is a couple or three guided fishing trips on a local river that last a day or half day. I did it more to learn than anything else. But, I don't consider those who have been on guided hunts of any kind as stupid. I'm not even going to guess as to their penis size. I'll leave that to Chris.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Jeff in TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    J&D Ranch - North Central TX
    Posts
    947

    Re: How much would you pay to shoot (and keep) a red deer hind?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    How much would you (not meant to anyone in particular) pay for an African safari, whether it be for strictly plains game, buffalo, big cats, elephants or whatever? Just the cost of transportation keeps me from going.

    I've obviously never been on such a hunt, but everything I know about them is that they're truly fair chase. But, the hunters typically have nice living quarters, good food prepared by someone other than themselves, a professional hunter who knows the game and territory, and expert native trackers. Is it stupid to pony up whatever that costs?

    I know that some of our members have made such hunts, and might take exception to this response, but there's all levels of what some consider acceptable and not.

    The closest I've come to a guided anything is a couple or three guided fishing trips on a local river that last a day or half day. I did it more to learn than anything else. But, I don't consider those who have been on guided hunts of any kind as stupid. I'm not even going to guess as to their penis size. I'll leave that to Chris.
    My buddy has been twice to Africa hunting. Our kids we're younger and I couldn't afford to go. Yes, the airfares can be pricey but the main issue is staying off of the trigger. he said you need to go with X kinds of animals to shoot be it a wildebeest, types of plains antelopes or what have you and stick with it. Most hunts run in the $2K range for a given number of plains animals. But then your guide catches you in the moment where they see a huge wart hog. They say he's only $450, then you see a hyena and they say he's only $400. My buddy said most of the hunters who were planning on $2 or $3K hunts spend $5 to $7k because they couldn't stay off of the trigger. Next is the taxidermy of the animals which isn't that bad price wise. However it will cost you 1.5 to 2 times the cost of the taxidermy animal to ship back to the US. My buddies shipping cost from his last trip exceeded $3K.

    His advice for an African plains hunt is to budget $10K and you'll have the time of your life and trophies to bring home. BTW a cape buffalo hunt is around $15K to $20K plus trophy fees for a 10 day hunt. Elephants can fetch $20 to $25K plus trophy fees. It's a rich mans hunt!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •