Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controlled burn got a tad out of control

Re: Controlled burn got a tad out of control

When we burned pastures in KS we used 4 wheelers with 30 gallon water tanks, electric pumps and sprayers to keep things in check after we cut our fire lines...a couple of guys can move around pretty quickly and tend to trouble spots...that whole bucket brigade thing sounds like a recipe for disaster...those range fires get to moving pretty fast...
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 09-13-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Might as well finish the burn now while there is no fuel for it to spread
    Yeah. Not like there's anything left around that patch of cattails that's liable to burn!
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    As with most things- everyone else outside of Texas is wrong.

And yes, those are ALSO tanks.
    I've driven tanks before. Specifically the M-48 and the M-60 tanks. Neither one looked like that. And being filled with water would have been detrimental to me, the driver, and the crew!
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in TX View Post
    Gotta love it, from New Jersey and say's y'all! Come on down Texas way!
    Im not from New Jersey originally lol. First several years in Texas, then Florida and now dirty Jersey. I would like to come back to Texas one day soon!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Well I live on the plains and I have never heard a pond called a tank. A tank is metal or plastic or a tire but not dirt, that is a pond. A half full 5 gallon bucket with a gunny sack or old pair of jeans can control a fire until your arm gets tired. Just keep one end wet and beat the fire and rewet it when it dries out, keep an eye behind you for rekindling. It works good if you have kids to work behind you and then you can move faster but I have fought lots of fire that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Might as well finish the burn now while there is no fuel for it to spread
    Just me out here for the next two weeks, Even though the area is burned I'm not taking any chances from a flying ember.

What you need for next time:

http://xm42.com
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Just me out here for the next two weeks, Even though the area is burned I'm not taking any chances from a flying ember.
    Just funnen on ya Jeff. I lived in the high desert for a while, know how a spark can set things off
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Back fires are your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    Back fires are your friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I actually had a 20 gal trailer sprayer I pull with my 4-wheeler I planned to use. Unfortunately we I put it away during the last use i didn't realize I had pushed it into back wall and struck something that broke one of of the plastic hose fixtures. I've reordered the parts for it which is another reason I want to wait before doing the next burn.

I actually had a 20 gal trailer sprayer I pull with my 4-wheeler I planned to use. Unfortunately we I put it away during the last use i didn't realize I had pushed it into back wall and struck something that broke one of of the plastic hose fixtures. I've reordered the parts for it which is another reason I want to wait before doing the next burn.
    That would be a good thing to have available next time. Don't blame you for waiting for getting the parts to fix the sprayer for the next time.

I have a 26 gallon sprayer. After breaking a few of those cheap plastic fittings they put on them and getting hosed down by weed killer, I went to the hardware store and bought brass fittings to replace all of the plastic stuff. I also replaced the cheap plastic sprayer wand with a better, metal one. The old one cracked when I forgot to run RV antifreeze through it and it froze. Now, when I put mine away for the winter, I run the RV antifreeze through it before I put it away. Keeps it from freezing and keeps the pump from rusting and getting sludged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I have a 26 gallon sprayer. After breaking a few of those cheap plastic fittings they put on them and getting hosed down by weed killer, I went to the hardware store and bought brass fittings to replace all of the plastic stuff. I also replaced the cheap plastic sprayer wand with a better, metal one. The old one cracked when I forgot to run RV antifreeze through it and it froze. Now, when I put mine away for the winter, I run the RV antifreeze through it before I put it away. Keeps it from freezing and keeps the pump from rusting and getting sludged up.
    Great points and I'm gonna head to the hardware store do the same thing later today.

Here you cant burn anything. Permits are issued by forest fire, and the fire department cant even get a burn permit! pretty sad since we have 10 4 wheelers with 1,000 gallons of water in their tanks ready to go.

I've seen a lot of grass fire put out by running the edge of the fire with the driver's side tires. Doesn't work too well if you have any fuel leaks.......
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    As with most things- everyone else outside of Texas is wrong.

And yes, those are ALSO tanks.
    +1

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen