Thread: Cz 527 sights

Cz 527 sights

Just bought a new cz 527 in 762x39. Very pleased with it, but I noticed it came with different sights from what is in any pictures or videos that I have seen. The rear sight is slightly angled backwards, and it has glow in the dark dots on either side. The front sight is fiber optic, and the hood over it has a lot of material removed, my guess is to let mores light in.. Not complaining at all, just wondering if this is a new version that just came out? I have a friend who is planning on buying one, can he expect the same sights?

Re: Cz 527 sights

Not familiar with current CZ offerings as far as iron sights are concerned but it seems to me a nice light 7.62x39 configured with fiber optic sights as you got would be a right handy stalking gun for deer and hogs. Welcome!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

That's not what mine has, but I wish it did!

I went with a low powered scope for my main sighting arrangement, and have the irons for backup now.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Those I've seen here imported like a year ago seem to have the same "tilted" rear sight arrangement you describe, but as long as I recall, the front sight is a mere steel blade with an opened hood. If they changed it, surely seems like an improve!

Congratulations for the excellent purchase...I'd LOVE a 527FS in 7.62x39mm. but unfortunately by law only the .223 model is allowed, and they came only in the standard and varmint configuration. Friend of mine bought the later and says it's as accurate as he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    That's not what mine has, but I wish it did!

I went with a low powered scope for my main sighting arrangement, and have the irons for backup now.
    OK, now that I have time to type a bit more, here is a quick way to tell when your CZ 527 was made. On the "bolt" side of the action, in front of the ejection port there is a little vent hole. Right in front of that will be a proof mark/ crest. Just in front of that is a 2 digit number- those two numbers will give you the year it was made. Mine is "00", so it was made in 2000. if yours is "16" or "17", and you bought it new, you can be pretty sure that is the new sight arrangement and your buddy will get the same (if he buys one new and not a 'new, old stock'.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Your post made me go and pull my 527 Carbine out of the safe and look closely again at the sight arrangement. It is proof marked “16” on the right side so I can only assume that it is a 2016 production gun.

The rear sight blade is a big honking piece of metal with a grooved surface facing the shooter and a nice square notch cut into it. The front sight blade is similar to what you describe, however it has a gold bead of the top face of the sight, not a light pipe.

I had high hopes for this rifle as an iron sighted truck gun and all around shooter. Reality, however, is sometimes not nice. Front sight is not adjustable. Rear sight is only adjustable for windage. CZ’s answer is that you can buy (from them) different proprietary rear sights of varying heights to get your rifle “dialed in”. Basically what this thing has is fairly decent fixed pistol sights.

After the obligatory barrage of inappropriate language at the computer screen, I went ahead and put a scope on this. Ended up with a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32. It now does everything I want it to do EXCEPT have functional/decent iron sights. This might be a blessing in disguise. With my old eyes I can barely see and focus on the front sight. This probably just hurried the inevitable. I am still PO’d with CZ though for a really crappy design.

Edited to add: Welcome to the Forum
    zu Gleich

"Better is the enemy of Good"

My Brno Fox has the # and the crest on the opposite side. It was made in 1979, I believe.

I had to remove the rear sight on mine to mount a scope. The later CZ .223 made in 2012 doesn't have sights on it. A shorter scope would probably work just fine on the iron sighted ones.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I really don't want or need irons on my scoped rifles because I usually have a spare scoped rifle with me while hunting. More can break than a scope.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Nice rifle. I want one in 7.62x39, and .300 BO would be even better!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

I am very fond of my CZ 527M, but the iron sights that came with it left much to be desired. At that time there were no aftermarket options, so a gunsmith buddy silver soldered a Marbles adjustable to a base I fitted in the groove. It's also folding, so when I had the big scope mounted, the sight folded over to make room. No scope now, and I am quite happy with it.
    Those sound like great sights - factory new? I don't recall hearing of that new arrangement. Can you post a pic?
    Good selection, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdenton12 View Post
    Just bought a new cz 527 in 762x39. Very pleased with it, but I noticed it came with different sights from what is in any pictures or videos that I have seen. The rear sight is slightly angled backwards, and it has glow in the dark dots on either side. The front sight is fiber optic, and the hood over it has a lot of material removed, my guess is to let mores light in.. Not complaining at all, just wondering if this is a new version that just came out? I have a friend who is planning on buying one, can he expect the same sights?
    Is your rifle new or used? I can't find any new 527 online with FO sights and the CZ website does not show rifles with them or even mention them as an option.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I definitively came from a completely different school than you guys; been raised shooting iron-sighted military Mausers (And this little 527 resembles a lot the old carbines, specially the "Argentine '91-looking" FS) the sights on this rifle are GREAT for me...despite being a contact lenses-wearing shortsighted shooter. For me a scope is when conditions make VERY hard or impossible to see, set on sights and engage targets with iron sights (Only have them in a few of my small-game hunting .22LRs...local critters are camo masters, perfectly blended with their rocky, steep surroundings, that frolic in low-light conditions and would hardly allow you closer than 60 yards)

Despite this, I think CZ could have used the same height-adjustable front sight arrangement they use in their 452/455s (Blade sliding in a ramp via a small Allen screw) in this rifle, but still the not hugely user-friendly blade adjusting system they suggest seems like a workable solution and a fun sighting range project for a rifle once you've tested all the types of ammo available with the relatively same P.O.I. at the usual ranges you engage targets with that particular caliber (200-250 yards?)

.....wonder if you can somehow retrofit a factory .22LR front sight in this model...

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Is your rifle new or used? I can't find any new 527 online with FO sights and the CZ website does not show rifles with them or even mention them as an option.
    Wambli -- This is getting more and more confusing. The original post claims to be a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I have no reason to doubt this. The sights that he describes, however, are from the CZ557 Carbine. This is an entirely different gun! The 527 is a short action receiver (7.62x39 and .223/5.56). The 557 is a long action receiver (30-06, .270 and 6.5x55).

I truly don’t know if our poster is confused, has entered a typo or if he has some one of a kind “franken-rifle”. Truth be known, I would love to have these sights on my CZ527. As you rightly point out however, CZ doesn’t admit to making one like that.

I am now officially confused.
    Last edited by Red Horse; 09-14-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    zu Gleich

Quote Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
    Wambli -- This is getting more and more confusing. The original post claims to be a CZ527 in 7.62x39. I have no reason to doubt this. The sights that he describes, however, are from the CZ557 Carbine. This is an entirely different gun! The 527 is a short action receiver (7.62x39 and .223/5.56). The 557 is a long action receiver (30-06, .270 and 6.5x55).

I truly don’t know if our poster is confused, has entered a typo or if he has some one of a kind “franken-rifle”. Truth be known, I would love to have these sights on my CZ527. As you rightly point out however, CZ doesn’t admit to making one like that.

I am now officially confused.

Well I'll be damned... It's for sure a 527, I've been shooting 7.62x39 ammo through it all week. Bought it off of Tombstone Tactical for $637. https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...-blued-walnut/

But I looked up the 557, and those are indeed the sights. I guess it's just a "franken rifle?"

That might be one of the "special" runs CZ does once in a great while for certain distributors, although I never heard of it either. Might be a "one of eighty made" like that, so one hundred years from now it will be a desired collectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdenton12 View Post
    Well I'll be damned... It's for sure a 527, I've been shooting 7.62x39 ammo through it all week. Bought it off of Tombstone Tactical for $637. https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...-blued-walnut/

But I looked up the 557, and those are indeed the sights. I guess it's just a "franken rifle?"
    In the grand scheme of things, You probably came out ahead. Original CZ527 sights are really bad. You have what they should have been. I think you found the pony in the manure pile.
    zu Gleich