Thread: On the road today along the Lake Superior coast...

On the road today along the Lake Superior coast...

IMG_20170912_130843.jpg

Started at Crisp Point Lighthouse....located West of Whitefish Point

IMG_20170912_162712_1.jpg

Ended the day at Vermillion Point Lifesaving Station...located between Crisp Point and Whitefish Point along the "Graveyard Coast" of Lake Superior. The station was established in 1876 due the profusion of shipwrecks taking place. Back in the day the cupola was staffed by members of the U.S.Lifesaving Service (later to become the Coast Guard) who lived on site during the shipping season.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Re: On the road today along the Lake Superior coast...

Those are some nice pictures. Good to see that they are keeping those places in good repair. Lots of historic places are lost due to neglect.

The Great Lakes are nothing but fresh water seas, and big ones at that. They get rough quick, too. Lots of shipwrecks in the area you visited. Lot of history in the area you were in.
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    "When a man's down, KICK HIM! If he survives it he can rise above it!"

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Those are some nice pictures. Good to see that they are keeping those places in good repair. Lots of historic places are lost due to neglect.

The Great Lakes are nothing but fresh water seas, and big ones at that. They get rough quick, too. Lots of shipwrecks in the area you visited. Lot of history in the area you were in.
    We have visited most of the lighthouse in MI....including taking a cruise to the off-shore crib/shoal lights in the Straits and Lake Michigan...Grey's Reef, White Shoal, Wagoshance Point and St. Helena...there are still a few on our list...

The history of these places has always fascinated me'....some of it quite funny...like the crew at Grey's Reef taking their boat into Cross Village to pick up refreshment and ladies of ill repute out to the lighthouse for the weekend...then inviting the off duty crew from White Shoal over for the party...known to be the party spot of Lake Michigan until the Coast Guard Commandant got wind of it.

And rough? I've heard of blue water sailors getting sea sick on the Great Lakes...

Nice!

Thanks for the pics and the history lesson. I had not heard of the U.S.Lifesaving Service.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    The "Fitz" lies about 17 miles off of Whitefish Point in 530 feet of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    We have visited most of the lighthouse in MI....including taking a cruise to the off-shore crib/shoal lights in the Straits and Lake Michigan...Grey's Reef, White Shoal, Wagoshance Point and St. Helena...there are still a few on our list...

The history of these places has always fascinated me'....some of it quite funny...like the crew at Grey's Reef taking their boat into Cross Village to pick up refreshment and ladies of ill repute out to the lighthouse for the weekend...then inviting the off duty crew from White Shoal over for the party...known to be the party spot of Lake Michigan until the Coast Guard Commandant got wind of it.

The booze and hookers doesn't surprise me. Sailors DO have a reputation to uphold!

And rough? I've heard of blue water sailors getting sea sick on the Great Lakes...
    I've actually been on an ocean going tug on Lake Superior in a storm. It was right after I got out of the Navy and I left TN for the job because hiring a veteran at that time was kryptonite. Liked the job and the work was interesting, hated the crew (damnyankees) and quit after a month. Tug was 110 foot long with 40 foot beam and huge twin diesel power plants. Storm was BAD, but Lake Superior ain't got NOTHING on the North Atlantic above the Arctic Circle in November. Worked on a tug on the Mississippi for a few months and then went home and started college, and went into the barn cleaning and manure spreading bidness!
    "Tyranny is wonderfully ingenious in the art of inventing specious phrases to spread over its nefarious designs." From the book Tyranny Unmasked by John Taylor of Caloline County, VA. 1821

Get some fish and chips for me. I hate you!

Screw the light house and stuff. I WILL get back up there just to get some more of that fish. Delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Get some fish and chips for me. I hate you!

Screw the light house and stuff. I WILL get back up there just to get some more of that fish. Delicious!
    Fresh Whitefish yesterday...fresh lake perch today....I'm stuffed

IMG_20170912_152946_1.jpg

In Paradise MI...

We were on the Lake Michigan shore at Seul Choix Pointe today

IMG_20170913_122733_1.jpg

Dense fog banks along the shore today contributing to the hazy nature of the photo...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Fresh Whitefish yesterday...fresh lake perch today....I'm stuffed

IMG_20170912_152946_1.jpg

In Paradise MI...
    I am not sure if I want to cry because I am so envious, or just sit here and drool. For those that don't know about this place-- it is open for lunch. The fish they serve for lunch was swimming that morning. When they run out of fish, they close. Done. Between the freshness of the fish and the fact that they cook it perfectly, (just until they are barely done so it is moist and not dried at all) it is hands down the best fried fish I have ever had. I will go back up there just to eat. Screw the light houses!

My Dad took me all the way around it when I was a kid. Some wild country off the north shore. I got lost up there in the woods. Found my way out by listening for the highway. Found someone's lost dog in the woods too. Good thing, because they gave me a ride back to the campground.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.