Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger

Re: New Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    Stainless, Love you too man
    Oh you just SUCK!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Very nice! I have a few more .45 colts on my short list and a stainless Blackhawk is one of them. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTone911 View Post
    The LGS where I picked up my rifle Saturday had a couple .45 Colt Vaqueros in the candy case. Told my wife, if you want me to sit on Santa's lap I will...or you can just tell him that this is what I want for Christmas.

Too subtle??
    I don't think so, I would have said "should I sit
    On santa's lap or hold my breath.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

You will LOVE the .45 Colt!! And isn't it just great to when you can get a "you suck" and "I hate you" from Enzo. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!

Easy to reload for, too. Good one to start with!

Thanks folks

This gun is a nice push toward reloading.
    Until then, does anyone have a suggestion for factory ammo suitable for putting a hog in the freezer?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Nice. I have to get me a .45 Colt or three, just cause.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Thanks folks

Until then, does anyone have a suggestion for factory ammo suitable for putting a hog in the freezer?
    Anything loaded with Hornady XTP's. Those bullets seem to be inherently accurate and terminal performance is generally good.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    You will LOVE the .45 Colt!! And isn't it just great to when you can get a "you suck" and "I hate you" from Enzo. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!

Easy to reload for, too. Good one to start with!
    I'm REALLY tight with those...

I owned that gun in blue and sold it thinking I wanted a stainless more. Have not managed to replace it yet because I want his EXACT configuration and they are not easy to come by at a decent price...
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 09-26-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Thanks folks

Buffalo Bore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Buffalo Bore!!!
    This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Anything loaded with Hornady XTP's. Those bullets seem to be inherently accurate and terminal performance is generally good.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    And this.
    I agree. My old XTP .45 heavy Colt load just flattened game and shot great out of my Ruger.

Once you do start reloading, (and I'm pretty sure that you will) you can get 44 mag energies without the pressure. (In a Ruger)
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I agree. My old XTP .45 heavy Colt load just flattened game and shot great out of my Ruger.

Ahem, recipe or reloading manual for your load??? For the sake of science and interested parties with a .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the Am Eagle should work too........... Jacketed Soft Point and you get 50 rds a box. I think these are around 860 FPS. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog.../categoryId/58

Double Tap has some +P hard cast too. Wow. 1450 FPS from a handgun 7.5" bbl might be a little hardy and hard to control until you get used to them. They have standard loads too. http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=333

I wish you lived closer and I'd reload you a box of 50 to the power level you want. 255 grain Keith style hard cast SWCs Poly coated from Missouri Bullet Co. I'm thunking you would be wanting a little more than regular loads, but not as much as those +P loads from Doubletap. Those are up there to Teach's loads, maybe more.

Maybe 950-1075 FPS range or so would fill your needs.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 09-26-2017 at 02:53 AM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Very nice. I'm done with gun purchases but a .45 Colt would be the exception if one crossed my path.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    Very nice. I'm done with gun purchases but a .45 Colt would be the exception if one crossed my path.
    So you are Short a .45 Long Colt in yer lineup?

I owned a S&W model 25 some years ago and recently acquired a new model Vaquero to fill that void, but don't think it will be the only one I will own.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I guess it is all about what you would use it for------the Blackhawk is generally much stronger allowing much hotter loads.
    IMG_20160817_195454.jpg

Not so with the older ones! Hoping to bag a hog this season with this one!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Very nice! Get a Wilson Combat spring kit for it, it's amazing, the difference.
    I love 45 Colts!
    Best upgrade money can buy...for under $20 and ~15 minute installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    IMG_20160817_195454.jpg

Luis
    Oh, you mean the older Vaqueros, yep they are more beefy than the new model like I got. I guess they traded heft and the ability to take "Ruger Only" loads for easier more handy handling.

VERY nice! I'm sure you will enjoy shooting it. I always shied away from stainless but over the last 8 years, I find it very appealing. Now you need a nice holster to carry that one in.
    The nicest place to be is in someone's thoughts,
    the safest place to be is in someone's prayers,
    and the very best place to be is....in the hands of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    IMG_20160817_195454.jpg

Luis
    That's a Beauty, Good Luck getting a hog. I plan to get one with mine also.
    Last edited by Diver43; 09-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Looking forward to your range report.

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    Ahem, recipe or reloading manual for your load??? For the sake of science and interested parties with a .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Back when I was playing with mine, hot rod loads for .45 Colt were a DIY proposition with absolutely NO guidance from manuals, manufacturers etc. Just a lot of manufacturer CYAs and folks telling me I was making hand grenades. One fellow shooter tried to have me ejected from the handgun range at my own club when he found out what I was shooting. Thank God the RO was a fellow reloader that was very interested in my "experiments". Back then I was using first gen XTPs (Early 90s) with a butt load of 2400 or H110 and my only guidance was keeping (kind'a) in line with then current .44 Mag loads for the Ruger BH. I still have some of those old rounds around waiting for my Stainless BH I'll be getting some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    And the Am Eagle should work too........... Jacketed Soft Point and you get 50 rds a box. I think these are around 860 FPS. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog.../categoryId/58

Double Tap has some +P hard cast too. Wow. 1450 FPS from a handgun 7.5" bbl might be a little hardy and hard to control until you get used to them. They have standard loads too. http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=333

I wish you lived closer and I'd reload you a box of 50 to the power level you want. 255 grain Keith style hard cast SWCs Poly coated from Missouri Bullet Co. I'm thunking you would be wanting a little more than regular loads, but not as much as those +P loads from Doubletap. Those are up there to Teach's loads, maybe more.

Maybe 950-1075 FPS range or so would fill your needs.
    Big Chief that is a super generous offer. Come May I should have some once fired brass for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    After corresponding with HIVIZ, they do not make a sight for the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I am going to try some bright orange sight paint (nail polish) and see how that works, while searching for a replacement front sight with better visibility. The stock one disappears against a black target.

Have heard that RC airplane model paint is a good choice since it usually resists solvents 6 other chemical products better....might be worthwhile to try it.

After corresponding with HIVIZ, they do not make a sight for the Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I am going to try some bright orange sight paint (nail polish) and see how that works, while searching for a replacement front sight with better visibility. The stock one disappears against a black target.
    I've tried all sorts of paint and plain white nail polish always wins. EASY to do with serrated front sights, just use sparingly, no globs of paint. Will last forever...

EASY to pick up even by my iPhone camera...

This is the HIVIZ sight on my 5.5" .45 Colt Bisley with a 25 yard zero. Seems to work fine.

One of the days when I get a round-2-it I will install one of those on my Smith (above). I loved the one on the Scandium gun. Unfortunately my Ruger BH has a solid front sight so it would require surgery to install one of those.