Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Season has started!!!

Re: Season has started!!!

Zee,

I was getting a bit tired of overwatch on the 2A board, so I had to get a breath of fresh air. This is where I wound up.

Congrats on a great opener, and I'm looking forward to your reports as the season progresses.

If the wife didn't have such a pathological hatred of Texas (too many years of Army bases there), I'd be quite content to live there.

Colorado is a dream, but Texas is real.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Zee,

I was getting a bit tired of overwatch on the 2A board, so I had to get a breath of fresh air. This is where I wound up.

Congrats on a great opener, and I'm looking forward to your reports as the season progresses.

If the wife didn't have such a pathological hatred of Texas (too many years of Army bases there), I'd be quite content to live there.

Mike
    I hate the Texas weather. I ain't big on the Texas scenery (in most places). But, if you know someone..............the hunting can be pretty sweet. If you don't and don't own good land. Well. That pretty much sucks too.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I hate the Texas weather. I ain't big on the Texas scenery (in most places). But, if you know someone..............the hunting can be pretty sweet. If you don't and don't own good land. Well. That pretty much sucks too.
    True. When I lived in Louisiana, I was fortunate enough to work for a guy that ought right bought complete rights to three leases, and allowed any employee who performed 3 workdays unlimited access.

I killed a lot of deer there over the years, but to say the hunting was tough would be putting it mildly. One season I spent 17
    days on stand before I even saw one.

While we were grateful to have a place to hunt, and an employer so willing to share it, the fact is, the hunting pretty much sucked, in our eyes.

But, OTOH, Chuck (boss) befriended a 70plus yo retired petro engineer who lived in Houston. A 9 hour drive.

That guy couldn't shoot anything for snot...the only confirmed deer kill he had I had to track for 300 yards and I'm glad a liver shot killed it sooner than I'd expect.

As I previously stated, us locals , while enjoying the access, didn't consider it prime hunting ground.

George, otoh, thought it was heaven. He said he'd have to drive half again as far and pay $8000 a year, after waiting for a while, just to have the chance we took for granted every weekend 30 miles from our house. And he never missed that drive every weekend for the three months of deer season.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Awesome day.

LOVE that knife.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Zee,

Mike
    I know a nice town for you to move to. There aren't any nearby army bases, either.

As for hunting and not seeing deer, I hear ya. I've hunted the piney woods of east Texas before, and have yet to see a deer. There was sign everywhere you looked, but no fur. I'm not saying the cover was thick, but as an old friend of mine said, it would take Daniel Boon three days to sneak up on Helen Keller.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

That is a nice get together you guys had Zee. The knife is really nice. Good friends are something to treasure.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Thanks. I was kinda stunned by the gift.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith