Thread: Two Questions

Two Questions

One, does anybody still have the URL for the site where you can put in your Winchester serial number and date your Winchester firearm?

Two, isn't there a way to process pictures for the forum, ON THE FORUM, instead of going to a site like Photobucket?
    If not what's one of the Photo Bucket replacements? And how do you use it?

Thanks in advance for your help here.

I bought another Grail gun today and I need to find out how old it is and I need to post a picture or two.

It's a Winchester Model 12 2 3/4 inch chamber with a Kutts compensator. The barrel is 26" with the compensator. The gun is in nearly pristine condition with a few areas worn through the blue on the magazine tube. No vent rib but I'll survive that minor short coming. It's just what I was looking for. And another one bites the dust!
    Last edited by snake284; 10-05-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Re: Two Questions

Imgur.com
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

You can upload photos to an album in your profile, then use that photo's address to post that photo in a thread.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

OK Thanks to you both. The pics I took of the model 12 are crappy because I took them with my phone. They just don't do this beautiful shotgun justice.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I use the forum's built-in picture hosting. Its slightly clumsy to use to get the "full sized" picture to post instead of a clickable thumbnail, but doable.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    I use the forum's built-in picture hosting. Its slightly clumsy to use to get the "full sized" picture to post instead of a clickable thumbnail, but doable.
    In my experience, it is faster than IMGUR
    Go Cowboys go

https://imgur.com/a/b41yX

If you click this link it will show the pic, but I'll have to work with Imgur to figure out where I'm going wrong.

Ah the joys of learning new stuff.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-02-2017 at 01:40 AM.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Thanks Zorba. Anyway, found the year of manufactor as 1940. Scott, the guy I bought it from, didn't know what year it was made but he told me he has pictures of his grandfather with the gun and a bunch of geese that was taken I believe he said in 1953. For a shotgun made in 1940 and actually used for something but a safe queen this thing is in immaculate condition. Like I said, the phone pic doesn't begin to tell the story.

Anyway, to say I'm pleased with the purchase might be a bit of an understatement. I'm as happy as a pig in a polk full of wet goose crap!!!

Last edited by snake284; 10-02-2017 at 02:25 AM.

They don't make them like that any more.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    They don't make them like that any more.
    Nope, not even close. This is the most solid feeling shotgun I've ever picked up.

Never seen a Cutts Compensator like that one. Must be one of the really older first ones. I have two shotguns with Cutts Compensators on them, a Remington Model 11 and a Remington Model 878. The Compensators are a lot shorter than that one and require a wrench to remove the choke tube. I have 5 choke tubes for each shotgun. They came with three each, and I bought 2 more for each. They work really well with the old paper shotshells, or plastic, with the old card and filler wads. Plastic shot cup wads don't pattern nearly the same.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showth...sting-Pictures

Look for the "3rd and newfangled way"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Never seen a Cutts Compensator like that one. Must be one of the really older first ones. I have two shotguns with Cutts Compensators on them, a Remington Model 11 and a Remington Model 878. The Compensators are a lot shorter than that one and require a wrench to remove the choke tube. I have 5 choke tubes for each shotgun. They came with three each, and I bought 2 more for each. They work really well with the old paper shotshells, or plastic, with the old card and filler wads. Plastic shot cup wads don't pattern nearly the same.
    It's probably from the early 40s or sometime within the 40s. To be honest I'm not even sure it's made by Kutts. But it looks like some I saw as a kid and I've never heard of anything else like the Kutts. There may have been but I never heard of it.

I know the Model 12 Winchester was one of my dad's grail guns or as close to a grail gun as he could come. He wasn't a REAL BIG gun guy. He loved to hunt and shoot but his true love was Golf.

However, through him I acquired the Model 12 as one of my Grail guns. He often mentioned he wished he had one. I've wanted one ever since he and a friend went duck hunting in Seadrift in the mid 50s. The guy left his gun at our house and I, like a typical kid, when I was left alone picked it up and fondled it. Of course my dad had drummed safety into my head so when I did this sort of thing I always checked it to see if it was loaded and always pointed it in a safe direction. But I fell in love with that thing almost immediately.

I was floored when in 1964 Winchester dropped it. You could still get one but it was almost like a custom shop option. I think Browning was making them and you could get one through them. Whatever, it was out of my 16 year old reach. But I never forgot the Model 12 and it has always been on my list, albeit not i front.

But now I had the money and this thing loomed in front of me like the full moon on a cloudless night. So I jumped on it almost sight unseen. I hadn't seen it until about 5 minutes before I forked over the money. I'm glad I did.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-05-2017 at 08:17 PM.

I have a model 12 Winchester, too. They operate slick as snail snot. Great shotgun that fell prey to the beancounters at Winchester. It took a lot of machining operations to make, and they basically copied the machining operations of Remington and Mossberg for their replacement pump shotgun. It was sort of O.K. but didn't have the quality of parts and the reliability of the Model 12.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

To date a Winchester, go to www.oldguns.net and on the left of the page you'll see a link to many firearms makers. Go to Winchester dates, select the model number and enter the serial number in the box and you'll get the date. Also works for other manufacturers as well.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Nice find for sure. I recently acquired a 20ga model 12 that dates to 1939. Have not had a chance to fire it yet but it sure feels smooth and tight for it's age.
    IMG_0571.jpg

Sako
    Last edited by sakodude; 10-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sakodude View Post
    Nice find for sure. I recently acquired a 20ga model 12 that dates to 1939. Have not had a chance to fire it yet but it sure feels smooth and tight for it's age.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sako
    nice pic, hey.
    Go Cowboys go

Snake I have a model 12 that belonged to my Grandfather. My dad was not a hunter and it hasn't been shot a lot but shows it's age some but it doesn't matter, it will never be for sale at least while I am alive. Glad you found something you have wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    nice pic, hey.
    The pic was there when I posted it. Photobucket! What can I say.

Sako

That's very nice- great find.
    Somebody will ask you how your silencer works- you gonna have some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    nice pic, hey.
    It's fixed!

Sako