Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

I have found an area that is holding a ton of deer and some good ones at that. It is archery, muzzle loader and Slug hunting only. I am kind of dumb founded out of all that I have available I don't have a good slug gun. I am looking for a 12 gauge rifled barrel and will top it with a scope of some sort....thinking about the pump route, maybe a Remington 870 is what I thinking but am open to suggestions. Anyone have any that seem to be more accurate then others? I don't want to go too crazy over the top dollar wise. Also, what about ammo, certain brands better and more accurate than others? Thanks in advance!

Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

I wish H&R/ NEF had not been killed by freedom group. Then it would be "Get the NEF rifled 12Ga and a low power scope" They were cheaper than most of the rifled barrels for sale out there.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

This or the 20 ga. version, 200yds with ammo it likes, no problem.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/212
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/703040285

Ready to go, for under four bills
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Do you already own a Mossberg or Rem you can just swap a slug bbl in? If not, consider buying a combo Rem or Mossberg that comes with 2 bbls.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

$400 or so and won't break the bank.... Combo with 2 bbls

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/mossb...-shotgun-combo

Probably find it cheaper than this one.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 10-03-2017 at 07:54 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Do you already own a Mossberg or Rem you can just swap a slug bbl in? If not, consider buying a combo Rem or Mossberg that comes with 2 bbls.
    I am maybe thinking this route, I have a Mossberg turkey gun that can be set up easily with a scope on the receiver, may just look into a barrel for it.

Heck Walmart has a slug bbl for it under $200 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossberg-...Barrel/4242371

Has an integral scope base on the bbl.

There are slug barrels out there for both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500s that have a cantilever scope mount so you don't have to mess with drilling and tapping the receiver. They work very well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

From my experience with shotguns and slugs, the ammo determines the accuracy more than the brand of gun. Many of the sabot slugs can come close to rifle accuracy from a rifled shotgun barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by twa View Post
    I am maybe thinking this route, I have a Mossberg turkey gun that can be set up easily with a scope on the receiver, may just look into a barrel for it.
    A rifled barrel for the shotgun you already own is cheaper than a complete gun. And like Jayhawker said, they come in both open sight models and cantilever scope mounts, too. And testing for accuracy with several different brands/styles of rifled slugs should have you ready to get yourself some deer meat in the freezer.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    A rifled barrel for the shotgun you already own is cheaper than a complete gun. And like Jayhawker said, they come in both open sight models and cantilever scope mounts, too. And testing for accuracy with several different brands/styles of rifled slugs should have you ready to get yourself some deer meat in the freezer.
    Yes sir, I have a few 870's I could use as well. I will have to look tonight but I think the mossberg I have in the safe may be the ticket. So far it doesn't really sound like much of a difference in accuracy between different guns, all in the ammo.....that is interesting, I figured one model or brand would be more accurate than the other.
    As you can tell my experience with slugs in NIL, to NONE!

If you've got an 870 you can always throw a rifled choke on it. That's what I've done with great results with slugs I've casted and loaded, and with open sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    This, I can generally group 3 shots touching at 100 yards with mine. I seems to prefer the Remington accu-tips but does decent with most everything I've tried.

Sako

Unless he is looking for an er........"Need or Excuse" to buy another shotgun..............I can understand that.

If you do get a slug battle, don't overlook foster slugs; at least try them while deciding what slugs to use.

In mine they are spot on to 100 yds, never tried them farther.
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    This is the ultimate slug gun hands down.

I have an older 870 wingmaster with a Hastings barrel that is deadly accurate though

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    If you do get a slug battle, don't overlook foster slugs; at least try them while deciding what slugs to use.

In mine they are spot on to 100 yds, never tried them farther.
    Worth a try but they generally don't perform all the well in rifled slug barrels. That being said, it's usually trial and error figuring out which slugs perform best in a particular slug barrel....

Problem with using a pump gun is you still have a shotgun quality trigger.....

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I have a Hastings cantilever scope mount rifled barrel for my 870. It groups well at 100 yards with even the old style Foster slugs. And the trigger pull on the 870 isn't bad at all. It was my skeet and trap shotgun for years, and is well worn in. If your 870 barrel takes screw-in choke tubes, an extended length rifled tube might get you what you want without a lot of money outlay.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

You never mentioned the ranges that you'll be shooting at. Many shotguns can group minute of deer out 100yds with the right slugs and no special barrels or chokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

After looking at the new 870’s, I concluded that they had been assembled by blind monkeys. I bought a smooth ore Winchester SXP set up for turkey that I will also use for deer. Very slick action.

If I needed a deer only shotgun, I would look hard at this: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...r_12_22_mobuc_

I have a Remington 1100 with a 20" smoothbore slug barrel (I guess the rifle sights make it a "slug barrel)....I set it up with a compensated turkey choke for slaying gobblers, but, it came with a rifled choke tube and it will keep slugs in a pie plate at 100 yards. It really seems to like those Remington Copper Solids....

Quote Originally Posted by twa View Post
    Whatever brand you decide, get a cantilever scope barrel, or a dedicated gun. Rifled slugs are insanely expensive, it's really expensive to have to swap scopes, sight it in every season.

I live in a shotgun only state. It's cheaper to hunt with a 454, 460, or 500 pistol than a slug gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

I just recently picked up a Mossberg 500 combo that provides you with the 28" bird barrel, a 24" cantilever scope mount rifled barrel, and two different bolt-on combs for the stock to put your face in the proper location for both modes of sighting.

The scope I intend to install is backordered, so I have yet to fire up that barrel for that application, BUT. . .having recently patterned five Mossberg barrels with bird or buck depending on application, they do seem to know their barrel business quite well.

Being a lifelong 870 shooter, I am coming to VASTLY prefer the Mossberg mechanism. The tang safety is a lot easier to deal with, as is not having a floppy shell carrier hanging down below getting in the way of adding more rounds to the magazine (try it with gloves). Much easier to work on should you need to - a lot less that is staked, riveted, or welded in place.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Need Some Enabling.....Flint Lock

fify
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Thinking a barrel for this might be the perfect solution. Already drilled and tapped for a scope......mossberg 835 ulti mag, it hasn't seen the light of day for a few years, so it would breathe new life.
    IMG_0177.jpg
    Last edited by twa; 10-04-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Find an old used 1100 and buy a slug barrel for it. Your shoulder can send me a nice thank you note later. Best slug gun for pigs ever because follow up shots are FAST!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

If you are going with a switch-barrel setup, definitely heed the suggestions to get a cantilevered scope mount, or a gun like Benelli with the base of the barrel overlapping the top of the receiver. Bottom line: you want the scope mated to the barrel, not the receiver, if at all possible. Receiver-mounted scopes on switch barrel shotguns like the Rem 870 can have problematic accuracy since the barrel moves independent of the receiver more than a dedicated slug with a fixed barrel.

Of course, if you did want to go all out and get a true slug gun like the Ithaca Deerslayer III, you'd only be out a small mortgage payment, but damn are they nice.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 10-04-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.