Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

  1. #31
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,784

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    This or the 20 ga. version, 200yds with ammo it likes, no problem.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/212
    A rifled barreled 20 gauge with a 2x or 4x scope firing sabots would be a nice 100-150 yard deer gun and you might can stretch its legs on another 50-75 yards. Seeing I've never hunted deer with one, I'm going conservative on those estimates.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-04-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,598

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    you might can stretch its legs on another 50-75 yards. Seeing I've never hunted deer with one, I'm going conservative on those estimates.
    Most slugs drop like a rock past 150 yds.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  3. #33
    Senior Member CHIRO1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    8,891

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Most slugs drop like a rock past 150 yds.
    Folks were getting their drops dialed in and hitting the deer shaped cardboard targets in the boiler room, not sure how much velocity and energy were retained at that distance, but they were hitting what they were shooting at.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

  4. #34
    Senior Member Fisheadgib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    crusted in sand
    Posts
    4,598

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    I didn't say they weren't accurate, they just start dropping rapidly at that point. I can't link the ballistic charts with my tablet but quite a few of the slugs that I looked at could hit point of aim out to 140-150 (about 6") and in the next 10 to 20 yds they dropped as much as 24". If you dial in for that distance you could probably hit it all day but in the deer woods, your shots may be hurried and varried in range.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .

  5. #35
    Moderator Wambli Ska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Working on my tan!
    Posts
    23,359

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Folks were getting their drops dialed in and hitting the deer shaped cardboard targets in the boiler room, not sure how much velocity and energy were retained at that distance, but they were hitting what they were shooting at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I didn't say they weren't accurate, they just start dropping rapidly at that point. I can't link the ballistic charts with my tablet but quite a few of the slugs that I looked at could hit point of aim out to 140-150 (about 6") and in the next 10 to 20 yds they dropped as much as 24". If you dial in for that distance you could probably hit it all day but in the deer woods, your shots may be hurried and varried in range.
    As snipers and precision LR shooters know, if you have the time you can dial in a scope to hit targets at known distances with just about any projectile (within reason). The problem is that at longer distances (varies by projectile and depends completely on trajectory) a miscalculation of just a few yards will result in a complete miss of a deer vitals sized target. Works the same way with arrows form a bow.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

  6. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    272

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    If you've got an 870 you can always throw a rifled choke on it. That's what I've done with great results with slugs I've casted and loaded, and with open sights.
    This has gotten me thinking......does anybody know if there is a rifled choke out there that would fit a VEPR-12? Figured I would check to see if anybody knew off the top of their head before I research it.

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    272

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    Ok, about 2 seconds on Google answered my question......and it is from the same supplier I bought my VEPR from.

    https://www.legionusa.com/oem-molot-...-saiga-12.html

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,306

    Re: Need Some Enabling.....Slug Gun

    All of this mulling over trajectory is why I've got a Leupold 2-7 with their SABR reticle in it on order; six aiming points to get you from 50 to 300 yards. I don't hunt without my binocular harness, and the laser rangefinder has permanent residence on that. Yes, there will be some wobble room for variation of rounds that don't quite match the reticle, but really, anything landing inside a six inch circle will serve for the task. Shouldn't be hard to play with a trajectory calculator to figure out which of the six points it makes the most sense to zero exactly on to get it closest across the board.
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •