Thread: Anyone else use this or similar?

Anyone else use this or similar?

I have had a lot of backpacks over the years, but if I need to tote a rifle, this is one of the best packs I have used...well designed and tough...

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/gunslinger-ii
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Re: Anyone else use this or similar?

I would like to, I don't venture far enough from the pickup to justify the price though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

I have an older smaller version that I use as my daypack for hunting. Sooooo much much better than carrying your rifle on a sling on your way back. Eberlestock makes GREAT gear!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

This pack really came into it's own in KS...I had a hide about a mile from the road...to hunt from there I used my heavy .300 Win. Mag....however, on the way in (and out) I was always encountering targets of opportunity....deer and coyotes, so I carried my AR while I was walking and kept the heavy rifle in the Gunslinger. The pack is also easy to ditch, so if I needed it for a rifle rest, there was that too...

I have a handful of them.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

superday pack.jpg
    badlands_superdaymax1_open.jpg

I have a Badlands Superday pack, I carried my rifle like this a few times, I would rather carry it in my hands.
    Last edited by CHIRO1989; 10-05-2017 at 03:42 AM.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

I have considered that exact pack. Eberlestock makes a tough, well-built, well-laid-out pack, but there is a tradeoff in that they are pretty heavy compared to their competiton. The other downside of that particular design is that the gun is all but inaccessible if a quick shot is required. You have to doff and unzipper it to get to the gun. Negatives aside, it’s gonna carry like a dream and stand up to some really rough use.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Actually Luis...as long as you don't have to top cover on the rifle scabbard you can one hand your rifle out of the pack very easily by reaching over your shoulder...you do have to doff the pack to put the rifle back in the scabbard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Actually Luis...as long as you don't have to top cover on the rifle scabbard you can one hand your rifle out of the pack very easily by reaching over your shoulder...you do have to doff the pack to put the rifle back in the scabbard.
    Ok, I might have noticed that in the layout when i saw it in person. It looked like a fully zippered top (unless the one I saw was a different model).

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
    Ok, I might have noticed that in the layout when i saw it in person. It looked like a fully zippered top (unless the one I saw was a different model).
    Jayhawker is correct. The top cover comes off and the rifle is easily deployed. See configuration on left in picture below.
    IMG_0001.jpg
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

After having a few different ones, I've come to the conclusion, I prefer the external frame model if carrying any substantial weight.

And, we've broken quite a few of these packs. Then again, we break a lot of stuff.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I'm 5'9".... And I'm thinking I could use it for a tent!
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

FWIW... it's an 8 lb pack. With a 9 lb rig and ammo it starts at 17 lbs, before adding your gear, food, etc. If I were considering one for high altitude or long range, my primary focus would be on weight reduction.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Mine is the external frame.
    It is always comforting to know that Zee breaks more stuff than I do
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    FWIW... it's an 8 lb pack. With a 9 lb rig and ammo it starts at 17 lbs, before adding your gear, food, etc. If I were considering one for high altitude or long range, my primary focus would be on weight reduction.

IMHO

D
    Yep. Ebrlestock makes a helluva well-made pack, but tend to be on the upper end with their weight. I can get a pretty great discount on their stuff, but I always do the math you just did when it comes to a hike-in pack and get a little gunshy. I really like shaving pounds. That said, it’s hard to resist a great layout that’s built like a tank.

I'm waiting for someone to make something that looks less militarized, and I don't mean this in the color pink. I'd like to transport something, not necessarily truck to range, without looking like I'm fittin to deploy to the 'Stan. Otherwise it looks nice if hella priced.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Been using their Dragonfly for about five years. Possibly the best piece of outdoor gear I've ever bought, and yes, that includes guns and optics. It was a real ass-saver in 2012 when my hunting buddy had some blood sugar issues on top of a mesa in CO. Got some food into him and all was well, but I ended up expanding my pack and lugged most of his gear out in it. One I got it on my shoulders it didn't feel much heavier than before I loaded it up.

And that's what constantly amazes me about it - when you take it off, you say "I was carrying THAT much weight?!?!?"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

A well designed load bearing system is the most important part of a pack....but I know a guy who swears by his old ALICE pack....personally I think he's just too cheap to buy a descent pack

I have no experience with that pack, but I've put a lot of miles on the dragonfly pack. When I purchase another it'll probally be a Kifaru.

I have the gunrunner and like it a lot. For $!75 bucks it isn't bad, but I would like something a bit bigger,