Thread: First blood for new bow

First blood for new bow

Got back from my business trip this evening with enough time to play with the dogs a bit and head out for the evening hunt. I set up 35 yards from the feeder in my one man pop up tent. Its big enough for me to get in and use my Primos tripod to support my new Excalibur crossbow. About 10 min before I was going to call it quits for the evening four hogs came in. The one I dropped was the biggest of the four probably around 140 to 150 lbs. I had a steady rest and I ranged him at 35 yards. I split the difference on my scope and held halfway between the 30 and 40 aiming triangle.

I tripped the trigger and heard a grunt when the arrow hit. The hog ran 20 yards and piled up. I had a broad side shot and was aiming right behind his front shoulder. The arrow hit 5" left of where I was aiming...darn it! A bit farther back than I would have wanted. The arrow passed completely through and exited midway through his upper stomach area. When I got to the feeder where he was standing there was a 6" wide blood trail to where he dropped. The Swacker broadhead was devastating even with my shot placement being a tad off.

I had enough time to cut his tenderloins out before the skeeters carried me off to their queen. Holy cow the skeeters were awful and I soaked myself in skeeter spray berfore going out. I had perfect winds to keep me down wind from the feeders!

Re: First blood for new bow

Pretty cool that it will pass through, can't hunt for a couple more weeks
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Nice!

never hunted with a crossbow.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

An ancient weapon used in a drama as old as life, cut short be a pestilence eternal.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

I didn't really understand your need for that particular crossbow. Just generalizing, a crossbow has about twice the energy of a compound bow and that crossbow has twice the energy of an average crossbow. There are a lot of animals harvested with compound bows and a crazy powerful crossbow is like hunting with a large bore pistol. I and a couple of my friends own a quad 400 and have not had any issues with energy.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Great work, Jeff! Pork on the ground with a crossbow sounds like too much fun.

Question: did you live fire test the Swhacker broadhead before you shot it on the hunt? If you didn’t feel like you pulled the shot, there are a couple of possibilities as to why the shot didn’t hit true. I don’t know how much experience you have with crossbows, so forgive me if you already considered the following:

1) The whole “it shoots just like a field point” sales pitch is a little overplayed with many mechanical broadheads, even moreso out of a high draw weight crossbow. I never trust my field point zero to match the actual broadhead (a real one - not the “practice” version included with some mechanicals) without testing the real ones. Your best bet is to sacrifice one broadhead as a test/zero confirmation sample. Fire 3 shots with just that one broadhead and make sure you’re consistently hitting where you should be.

2) Was the Swhacker broadhead used made specifically for a crossbow? Crossbows put enormous stress on the blade retention devices used by mechanical broadheads. A failure of the retention device (band, collar, etc) can result in serious inaccuracy. Rage and other mechanical broadhead companies compensate for this high stress by offering crossbow-specific broadheads with heavier duty retention devices to prevent the blades from prematurely opening and throwing the shot. If your broadheads aren’t rated for crossbow velocities, stop using them immediately and go with ones that are. I have seen some nasty misses as a result of escaped blades. I’m talking feet, not inches.
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 10-06-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post

Question: did you live fire test the Swhacker broadhead before you shot it on the hunt? If you didn’t feel like you pulled the shot, there are a couple of possibilities as to why the shot didn’t hit true. I don’t know how much experience you have with crossbows, so forgive me if you already considered the following:
    Great questions. The answer is yes, all I've ever shot are Swacker broad heads through it during practice. I do plan to take a couple practice shots today and see if something is off...other than my shooting. When you buy a 3-pack of Swacker's you get a practice broad head. The mechanical portion just doesn't open on impact. They fly straight great as an arrow pardon the pun. We have a half dozen of the practice broad heads as it's the broad head of choice out here. I did shoot an old Swacker broad head once out of giggles kicks and grins to see if it flew the same and it did. Their performance is devastating.

Before switching to Swacker a couple of years ago, I had some fixed 125 gr broad heads. They hit all over the place with my older Quad 400 crossbow. Those arrows are super fast impossible to see for the shooter and almost impossible for folks watching. We put a glow nock on an arrow and shot it at 50 yards. Folks standing behind me when I shot said the arrows were pin wheeling as they flew in a 4" circle. We did the same for the Swacker and they flew true.

It was dern near dark when I got his tenderloins out and ran for my life. The recent rains have released hordes of skeeters. After my morning calls I'm gong to get skeeter proof, well the best I can and head down and drag him to the bone yard where we dump our animal carcass's and get my blind I left last night. I plan to skin him back and get a better look at the wounds. That is as long as nothing has gotten to him and he's not big as a Macy's day balloon. As long as he's intact and I don't get eaten I'll take some picks.

The first broad head on the left is the one that I used on the hog. The red middle one is the practice broad head that doesn't expand. The one to the right is one ready to shoot.

Last edited by Jeff in TX; 10-06-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I didn't really understand your need for that particular crossbow. Just generalizing, a crossbow has about twice the energy of a compound bow and that crossbow has twice the energy of an average crossbow. There are a lot of animals harvested with compound bows and a crazy powerful crossbow is like hunting with a large bore pistol. I and a couple of my friends own a quad 400 and have not had any issues with energy.
    A few reasons why I went the direction I did with a crossbow. After two shoulder surgeries I don't have the strength to draw and hold a compound bow. I can draw about 50 to 55lbs just can't hold it for any real length of time. The other reason I gave up on compound bow, I'm right handed, left eye dominate and I physically can't wink my left eye. Sounds crazy but it's true. That's why all my rifles are left-handed. Shooting a compound bow requires me to where an eye patch over my left eye. It was easier when I got back into bow hunting four years ago to go with a cross bow.

After my limbs cracked on my Barnett Quad 400 and they wouldn't warranty it I went in search of another crossbow. Started reading the reviews. The Excalibur 355 Micro Suppressor was the quietest ranked crossbow and also always in the top one or two of the reviews I read. Yep lots of power for sure but it fits my physical needs and requirements and shoots lights out!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Energy, (don't let dan see this because FPE) is mostly not relevant. If a recurve flinging an arrow at less than 200 FPS can kill a deer, a crossbow sending one at 350 will also.
    Speed is the difference. Less arrow drop, less chance of the deer jumping before the arrow gets there, although basically not relevant either, but still a small factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I went to a crossbow also because I need my shoulders replaced and can no longer draw a bow but I was curious about that specific crossbow. I picked the quad400 because it was at the upper end of the power range for most crossbows in that price range and I didn't even know they made one twice as powerful. I had to double up my archery target because mine was punching through a single backstop. Mine cracked a limb the first time I hunted with it but I never had a problem with the replacement.

I forgot to add, get a bug suit. Where I hunt in Alabama the skeeters are so thick during arcery season that you would choke on them and a bug suit keeps them off of you.

I went and pulled the camera SD cards this morning. The moment right before I pulled the trigger. I shot the hog directly under the feeder. You can see my popup blind in the back ground.

Very nice
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post

1) The whole “it shoots just like a field point” sales pitch is a little overplayed with many mechanical broadheads, even moreso out of a high draw weight crossbow. I never trust my field point zero to match the actual broadhead (a real one - not the “practice” version included with some mechanicals) without testing the real ones. Your best bet is to sacrifice one broadhead as a test/zero confirmation sample. Fire 3 shots with just that one broadhead and make sure you’re consistently hitting where you should be.

2) Was the Swhacker broadhead used made specifically for a crossbow? Crossbows put enormous stress on the blade retention devices used by mechanical broadheads. A failure of the retention device (band, collar, etc) can result in serious inaccuracy. Rage and other mechanical broadhead companies compensate for this high stress by offering crossbow-specific broadheads with heavier duty retention devices to prevent the blades from prematurely opening and throwing the shot. If your broadheads aren’t rated for crossbow velocities, stop using them immediately and go with ones that are. I have seen some nasty misses as a result of escaped blades. I’m talking feet, not inches.
    Pork on the ground with anything is too much fun. I love that. Great shooting Jeff!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Excellent!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain