Thread: Ruger Precision Rifle 6CM Range Report

Ruger Precision Rifle 6CM Range Report

The gun:

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showth...recision-Rifle

I've got exactly 100 rounds fired now. It took a while to get the stock set up to my liking but I'm pleased with it now. Of course recoil is mild and I've found the trigger to be excellent for a factory trigger.

I started with Hornady 103 gr ELD-x over H4895 and had "meh" results - barely 1 MOA. Next I bought some Hornady 108 gr ELD Match.

Today I shot four loads of H4895 from 40.3 to 40.8 gr. Previous experience had shown accuracy potential around 40.0 - 40.5.

40.5 looks promising - five shots into 0.54". The first four rounds of 40.3 grouped well but the fifth ruined that group. That's why I fire five though...

Next I'm going to focus around 40.5 and shoot over the chronograph and hopefully zero in on a final load for the rifle then see what it does at longer ranges. Fun rifle so far!

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle 6CM Range Report

That's precise.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Nice. Great shooting.

It's my opinion that when you get into firing 5 round strings, you're testing the shooter and sometimes the gun more than you're testing the load. Of course, you get a good idea of the load's potential, but you can get that with 3. I used to do the 5 round group thing. Most of the time, the flyer is either shooter error or the gun heating up, if it's not allowed to fully cool between rounds.

Not trying to put down your method of testing at all, but your measuring groups with the flyers included. The only load that looks like it could be inconsistent is the 40.8 load. All the rest look excellent, aside from the flyers, probably caused by something besides the load itself.

I do not agree that three rounds proves much from a statistical perspective but I understand I am in the minority (at least around here).

That said, it was spray and pray day for the guy next to me and I had a pretty solid stream of brass bouncing around during some of the shooting. Could have impacted my shooting a bit.

Another observation - the target was shot left to right and the first four rounds grouped very well. That suggests the cold bore shot is not off much if any.

Quote Originally Posted by JKP View Post
    I do not agree that three rounds proves much from a statistical perspective but I understand I am in the minority (at least around here).
    Fire 2 separate 3 round groups?

From a statistical perspective, firing 5 rounds in one group throws statistics right out the window, unless the gun is fully cooled and the shooter rested and refocused between every shot. The gun heating and the shooter losing focus over long strings will have more of an effect on the accuracy that the load data. When the purpose is to test the load, remove as many variables as possible.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying not to do it the way you want. Your circus, your moneys, brother. I'm just pointing out based on what I've done, shooting more than a few rounds at a time will skew the data, and it's usually not because of the load itself.

All that aside, you did some very nice shooting there. Especially with the distractions you described. Looks like that gun and load will shoot very well for you.

If you want to be statistically significant, you need 30 rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I was taught to shoot 3 shots at 100 yds and 5 shots at 50. Has worked for me for 50 years.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

I think I've found the ideal load for the rifle. Got out today and shot some more - just under 0.4".

Going down one click on the scope, zeroing the turrets and calling it a day.

Yup, you sure got that one dialed in
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

I think I've found the ideal load for the rifle. Got out today and shot some more - just under 0.4".

Get you some cans a generic grape soda and put em' out in the distance for fountains of fun!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Where did you find some H4350?

I haven't seen any in these parts in forever.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

Nice shooting!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"