Thread: Question for Reloaders

Question for Reloaders

When you go to the range, what do you do with your spent brass?

Put it back in the box it came out of so that you know what was loaded in it?
    Toss it in a separate box for each brand, or let it mix?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Re: Question for Reloaders

Rifle goes in the box it came from. Pistol, or depends. Hot loads for 357 go back in the same box. Plinking anmo goes into a pile
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I put mine back in the box it came from.

Box or bag.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Either in a zipper pocket on a range bag or either a plastic bag. I used to use the factory boxes when I first started reloading, take it out and clean it or just wipe it off and then reload and put it back in the same box loaded and put a label on the boxes.

Sometimes for rifle brass that I may only shoot some of the 50 rds, I put it right back in the plastic ammo boxes for reloads, especially from a bolt rifle. Sometimes if I intend neck size only it is good to do that so I'll know what rifle I fired it from and not mix it up.

It really doesn't matter, all together is fine too because it goes in a tumbler when I get home or shortly after. I may or may not separate it then because some is prone to getting stuck inside each other in the tumbler and I may then.

Won't hurt it one bit to put it all in a pile .......a gallon zip-loc bag works too or a plastic Walmart bag.

IOW, long as you don't walk on it and possibly crush it, it should be just fine. I inspect mine after I tumble it anyway and any that has split or is beyond reuse is tossed in the trash.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

These are/will be pistol rounds. Coming from a revolver, keeping them separate should be easy.

Should I assume that plus p brass should definitely be kept separate from regular pressure brass?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

+p brass is identical to standard excepting the headstamp. It can be handy to help identify loads segregated by power or pressure level.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

I have a smallish net bag for my spent brass...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I'm cheap - I use plastic shopping bags, grab brass and dump it in. Since I shoot at a free outdoor range, I usually end up with extra. It all goes in to the tumber as a group, then gets sorted after tumbling into the appropriate coffee can.

If I am working up new loads and I have multiple loads to try that day, the brass goes back into the plastic container in the same place it came from. When I get home I can more closely examine the spent brass for any issues with the load. From there it all goes into one pile for tumbling, then sorted by brand and condition before using again. If It is an established load then the brass just gets thrown into one pile for the trip home. Hot load .357 and .44 are kept separate from more normal load spent brass as they get rotated into the recycle pile sooner.

Brass always goes back in the box it came from, that way I can keep track of exact number of firings each has had.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hunting and high pressure stuff goes back in the box and plinking stuff goes into whatever container that I have handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Rifle gets segregated by rifle and/or headstamp. Usually back into its plastic box

Black powder gets its primers knocked out with a hand press on the spot and into a juice jug full of water and dish soap. To be sorted by gun and caliber back at the homestead.

High intensity pistol, I'll usually sort by headstamp, but then, I don't load magnums to the firewall anymore.

Low intensity pistol typically goes back in the pile of random scroungings from whence they came. Usually an assortment of ziplocs to keep the 9mm with the 9mm, etc...
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Rifle ammo and pistol ammo loaded in new brass goes back in the box.
    plinking ammo gets tossed in a bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

In over 30 some odd years of reloading I have never worried about separating brass in magnum handgun calibers that were loaded Max from any other middle or low end loads. I may look at the primers of high end loads first couple cylinder fulls to see if there is anything out of the expected, sticky extraction or whatever. It all gets a once over after cleaning, during full length resizing, feel at primer seating, case mouth belling and bullet seating and crimping as I go through the stations on the press. You sorta get a sense or feel for what is and isn't right while reloading.

Finally, I look at the reloaded rounds and drop a few into a revolver cylinder or pistol magazine to make sure all is good. I never have trimmed straight walled handgun brass and don't intend to start.

Magnum loaded brass is gonna do what magnum and all brass does in a revolvers cylinder, expand and contract, I see no reason to separate it by what power level it was loaded to unless you think it won't last as long as non magnum loaded brass.

I've never read or heard of doing that in any reloading manual, gun magazine or anywhere else. Are you thinking it will stretch longer in length or the primer pockets get enlarged sooner or get brittle faster?

I know some brass is "Better Made" than others and nickel plated brass will split at the case mouth a whole lot sooner than brass brass.......I have some brass I have been using and reloading heck from the 80s............if it is gonna split it is gonna split and you won't know it until you fire it and inspect it if you have followed prudent reloading examinations like a casual pre-tumble look, after tumble look and during all steps of the reloading process including the completed product.

My take on it anyhow.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Rifle goes in the box it came from. Pistol, or depends. Hot loads for 357 go back in the same box. Plinking anmo goes into a pile
    Basically the same thing here. Lovingly crafted hunting and target loads get put back in their boxes. Plinking/blasting ammo gets all tossed together.

I try to keep to one maker of brass for my rifles ( Federal ), so I keep them separate. I full length resize every time, so there is no need to keep track by rifle. My understanding is if you neck size only you need to keep closer track. All my rifle brass goes into my range bag for sorting later. If I score brass at the range from someone that does not reload, it gets segregated, closely inspected and then gets "the treatment" before reloading.

Handgun ( revolver ) brass gets tossed into a pile and then collected into a bag.

This thread has me thinking I need to take some plastic containers to the range in my bag for convenient storage.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Thanks to all who responded

I have never saved brass as I don't reload, yet. Started saving the .32 H&R Mag brass when the wife shoots hers. and now with the .45 Colt it is going to be a must if I don't want to go broke shooting it. And shoot it, I plan to do, targets, plinking and a hog or three

I have found that the higher intensity loads for the .357 and .44 tend to shorten the life of the brass a bit. I also like to keep a closer eye on those pieces of brass so I know when they are close to end of life as a cartridge case. If it looks or feels even the slightest bit off during any of the steps to reload, it goes right in the recycle pile. No need to risk a rupture when brass is not too expensive. I can always buy a box of factory on a range trip, shoot it up for practice, and have some fresh once fired brass. Well for the .357 anyways. .44 and .41 are a bit pricey for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    When you go to the range, what do you do with your spent brass?

Put it back in the box it came out of so that you know what was loaded in it?
    Toss it in a separate box for each brand, or let it mix?
    With my rifles I just put them back in the MTM (Brand of ammo box) Boxes as I shoot. That way I pretty well know what load was in them and if everything went OK at the range they'll get reloaded with the same recipe.

I don't currently load hand gun or shot gun right now but I may start again for my .357 Mag. and .45 ACP. In that case I'll probably do similar and just pick 'em up off the ground and sort them out in their various boxes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I agree with Big Chief, I'm still using some brass that I had in highschool. I start checking it if I am going to clean it. After each reloading step I inspect them. After a while, you can feel if a brass is bad or getting bad. I'm just a target shooter and a hunter, and if I'm within my expected accuracy I'm satisfied. I never ask an elk if I hit his heart a inch low or high if it would have made any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Basically the same thing here. Lovingly crafted hunting and target loads get put back in their boxes. Plinking/blasting ammo gets all tossed together.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

Pretty much what Chris said..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

It depends what I am shooting. .I load all my 357/38's the same, so I don't have to keep the brass separate. My 45's and 40's I play with a bit so I will keep the different brass in the box it came from so I know what is what. Rifles and shotgun I keep track of as well, but I don't hunt with shotgun reloads so I don't go out of my way to separate them as often.

Mine always goes back in the original box, I use MTM plastic boxes marked with load data.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT