Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of reloading

Speaking of reloading

Anyone use the "Paperclip" trick on rifle brass, I never have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDClnQcsMQ
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: Speaking of reloading

Sure do. I keep my bent paperclip hanging on the light that sits above the press.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood

I never used that. I don't have case separation issues because my dies are adjusted properly so as not to cause a headspace issue.

I inspect cases before and after being run through the polisher. Case head separation that is about to happen will show up as a bright shiny partial or full ring around the case towards the base. With rimless cases, if the dies are properly adjusted for that particular rifle the problem won't show up.

Having the firearm on hand while sizing the cases can insure you aren't bumping the shoulder back and causing a problem of unintended No-Go headspace with the cartridge. Not a real problem with sizing rimmed cases on a properly headspaced rifle, but having the firearm properly headspaced is still important. Surplus military rifles shooting rimmed cases can still have an excessive headspace problem. But that can be overcome by resizing brass only to the point that the bolt will close. And that applies to the military surplus rifles firing rimless cases. Military surplus rifles should really be checked with headspace gauge(s) to make sure of what the headspace condition really is, and a No-Go gauge alone will verify if it's safe to fire or not.

For blasting ammo for multiple rifles, a case cartridge gauge is a handy tool. Ensures the cartridge case meets SAAMI specs and will fit in all your rifles of that chambering. Good for the semiautos, but for a specific bolt rifle, I only neck size, and check the casing in the rifle when adjusting dies. Neck size dies only size the neck, but they still need to be properly adjusted.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

I have a full length and neck sizing dies for my 6.5x55. New brass gets a pass through the FL before final cleaning and loading, but after that the cases stay in separate plastic boxes marked for what rifle they are used in. While both should have identical chambers I know that there will be differences. Afteral one barrel is potential from 1905 and the other was a much newer surplus barrel that I may have had to take a reamer to, but I dont recall exactly as that was at least 18 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mitdr774 View Post
    I have a full length and neck sizing dies for my 6.5x55. New brass gets a pass through the FL before final cleaning and loading, but after that the cases stay in separate plastic boxes marked for what rifle they are used in. While both should have identical chambers I know that there will be differences. Afteral one barrel is potential from 1905 and the other was a much newer surplus barrel that I may have had to take a reamer to, but I dont recall exactly as that was at least 18 years ago.
    Tell me again why you FL size new brass? What do you think you are achieving with that?

And who uses neck sizing dies anymore? More importantly, why? Are you not interested in consistency?

Yeah, neck sizing is so yesterday. Try to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Yeah, neck sizing is so yesterday. Try to keep up.
    Yesterday? More like last century. And pointless also.

"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

New brass isnt always perfect. Maybe its just old packages of brass I have, but oddly enough I have found it printed right on the package to size the brass first. I guess the manufacture was wrong????

Why full length size brass that will only be used in one rifle? I can just neck size and reload. Apparently Its more important to wear out the brass by full length sizing than it is to minimize the stress on it by only sizing what needs sized.

I was just kidding. I still neck size for my Model 70 .30-06.
    Pegasus is a professional long range shooter, and doesn't think like us peons. I'm sure he will be along to give you his perfect logic on the subject. I know in my heart that he's probably right - I'm just stubborn.

New brass isnt always perfect. Maybe its just old packages of brass I have, but oddly enough I have found it printed right on the package to size the brass first. I guess the manufacture was wrong????

Why full length size brass that will only be used in one rifle? I can just neck size and reload. Apparently Its more important to wear out the brass by full length sizing than it is to minimize the stress on it by only sizing what needs sized.
    What brand of brass do you buy?

And where did you get the idea that you wear out brass by full length sizing?

Where did you learn about handloading?

I suspect you really are not interested in consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    I was just kidding. I still neck size for my Model 70 .30-06.
    Pegasus is a professional long range shooter, and doesn't think like us peons. I'm sure he will be along to give you his perfect logic on the subject. I know in my heart that he's probably right - I'm just stubborn.
    I am not a professional long range shooter; I am merely an F-class competitor who's been around a bit and has had some success.

Yes, you are stubborn. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAAK View Post
    Did you bring enough for everyone?

No, I have picks that I use for pulling orings that work much better. They have a sharper point and I can feel irregularities in the case head better. I multi purpose the pick for many things, including grabbing AR15 springs that are hard to pick up with arthritis etc. The picks only cost about 10 bucks for a pack of 5-6.

https://industrialsafety.com/craftsm...0941634ci.html
    Last edited by Axe; 10-09-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    No, I have picks that I use for pulling orings that work much better. They have a sharper point and I can feel irregularities in the case head better. I multi purpose the pick for many things, including grabbing AR15 springs that are hard to pick up with arthritis etc. The picks only cost about 10 bucks for a pack of 5-6.

Those picks are just handy to have around...and I don't have any. Thanks for the link!
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

I like them because I always wind up bending them or reshaping them for certain jobs, and occasionally break them. Sears replaces them no questions asked. Great tool to have in the tool box for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post

I can see several uses for a set of those. If nothing else you could clean your own teeth!
    Last edited by snake284; 10-10-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I was willing to show you some "new" concepts in handloading. but I'm guessing you're not coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I was willing to show you some "new" concepts in handloading. but I'm guessing you're not coming back?
    Must be your charming personality. I couldn't imagine why someone wouldn't want to engage such a warm and humble offer of help.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Must be your charming personality. I couldn't imagine why someone wouldn't want to engage such a warm and humble offer of help.
    You're so full of yourself.

There was nothing warm or humble about my offer. And when it comes to humility, mine is superior to yours.

Here is one guys take on the Neck or FL Resizing debate..........he also sells gauges.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Here is one guys take on the Neck or FL Resizing debate..........he also sells gauges.

http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html
    It's a pretty good write-up. He alluded to, but did not explain the big problem inherent with neck sizing, the lack of consistency from load to load.

That for me, is the most critical aspect of handloading and going through all that work to purposefully produce ammo that is inconsistent from load to load makes absolutely no sense. Which is why I, along with every top competitor I know, F/L resize at every loading; we need the consistency that comes from F/L sizing and is absent in Neck-Only sizing,

I see no point in engaging someone that feels that what has worked just fine for my needs is "wrong". It works for me, and Im going to stick with it. Why argue when all it does is clutter the thread? Im out of this conversation and will probably just go back to mainly reading threads and keeping my fingers off the keyboard.

After a 10 hour shift I see no point in arguing on the internet. I deal with enough at work to bother getting too worked up about whos method is superior. You do what works for your needs, and I will do what works for my needs. We obviously have different priorities when it comes to our reloading needs.

Why if you don't bump the shoulder back and the cases are fire formed to the chamber is it not consistent? It should be the most consistent and that's one of two arguments I've heard for 38 years of handloading that is the big plus for neck sizing. You don't work the brass as much and it gives a consistent powder capacity.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Why if you don't bump the shoulder back and the cases are fire formed to the chamber is it not consistent? It should be the most consistent and that's one of two arguments I've heard for 38 years of handloading that is the big plus for neck sizing. You don't work the brass as much and it gives a consistent powder capacity.
    That's a pretty good question, one I'd be inclined to ask?
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    That's a pretty good question, one I'd be inclined to ask?
    Because it's better to bend your chamber formed brass than it is to tune the parts that need it.

Oh....sorry......we were talking semi-autos.........not bolt guns.

My bad.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    It's a pretty good write-up. He alluded to, but did not explain the big problem inherent with neck sizing, the lack of consistency from load to load.

That for me, is the most critical aspect of handloading and going through all that work to purposefully produce ammo that is inconsistent from load to load makes absolutely no sense. Which is why I, along with every top competitor I know, F/L resize at every loading; we need the consistency that comes from F/L sizing and is absent in Neck-Only sizing
    Herein lies the rub. You are comparing F-Class shooting to factory rifles, milsurps, and owner modified rifles.
    The barrel alone on an F-Class rifle would buy two factory rifles and maybe three. Having it match chambered (tight chamber) and mated to an action that could easily buy three or four factory rifles. And the stock and trigger would buy two more factory rifles. And that assembly of the parts costs more money.

With the tight chamber dimensions on F-Class rifles I'd guesstimate that not full length resizing the cases before reloading would produce rounds that would have to be driven into the chamber with a wooden dowel and a wooden maul, and extraction would by iffy even if the rounds could be forced in by the bolt camming force.

Competition rifles in F-Class are not comparable to factory rifles, ever.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

I can see several uses for a set of those. If nothing else you could clean your own teeth!
    Works well as a tooth pick! not so much for scratching the man bits though!

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Herein lies the rub. You are comparing F-Class shooting to factory rifles, milsurps, and owner modified rifles.
    The barrel alone on an F-Class rifle would buy two factory rifles and maybe three. Having it match chambered (tight chamber) and mated to an action that could easily buy three or four factory rifles. And the stock and trigger would buy two more factory rifles. And that assembly of the parts costs more money.

With the tight chamber dimensions on F-Class rifles I'd guesstimate that not full length resizing the cases before reloading would produce rounds that would have to be driven into the chamber with a wooden dowel and a wooden maul, and extraction would by iffy even if the rounds could be forced in by the bolt camming force.

Competition rifles in F-Class are not comparable to factory rifles, ever.
    Actually you are wrong also. In fact, F-class rifles might be a place where you COULD get away with neck sizing for a bit, because they are tighter than factory rifles, but the precision of the action precludes you from wanting to do that.

That said, I will answer all your misconceptions, errors and fallacies in a separate thread that I will start shortly, I'm not derailing this thread any further than I already have.