Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Speaking of reloading

  1. #31
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    3,606

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    I'm not a toolmaker, but I'm not far off. I can't quite build an injection mold from scratch, but I'm creeping up on it.

    What I'm most curious about is how you have personally measured these inconsistencies of which you speak. And how can you say with any degree of certainty, how it affects downrange performance, considering the nut at the butt is at best slightly inconsistent.

    I'm not sure I could even rig up a jig against a 1-2-3 block that would allow me to speak with the confidence you exude.

    A machinist built your press. A machinist built your dies. A machinist built your barrel. A machinist built your action. A machinist built your scope and stock.

    I do it for a living. And I still can't have the confidence you have in others that do it for you.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

  2. #32
    Senior Member tennmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Under a log
    Posts
    20,033

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Actually you are wrong also. In fact, F-class rifles might be a place where you COULD get away with neck sizing for a bit, because they are tighter than factory rifles, but the precision of the action precludes you from wanting to do that.

    That said, I will answer all your misconceptions, errors and fallacies in a separate thread that I will start shortly, I'm not derailing this thread any further than I already have.
    Here's a parts list for F-Class rifles from a rifle team. I don't see any parts in their list of what they use that one would find on a factory mass produced rifle. I stand by what I said. You're comparing two things that only bear cosmetic appearances. They are, IN FACT, entirely different animals.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

  3. #33
    Senior Member Pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Here's a parts list for F-Class rifles from a rifle team. I don't see any parts in their list of what they use that one would find on a factory mass produced rifle. I stand by what I said. You're comparing two things that only bear cosmetic appearances. They are, IN FACT, entirely different animals.
    I don't see a parts list and I don't care. Trust me when I say that I know more about F-class than you do, I don't need no stinking parts list.

    Read my other thread that explains why you are wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

    Don't take it personally.

  4. #34
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,782

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Works well as a tooth pick! not so much for scratching the man bits though!

    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    I don't see a parts list and I don't care. Trust me when I say that I know more about F-class than you do, I don't need no stinking parts list.

    Read my other thread that explains why you are wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

    Don't take it personally.
    Tennmike, I was a little short with you last night and for that I apologize. You are one of the saner persons here and I should not have done that.

    You did not produce a parts list from an F-class rifle team, so I could not respond to that. Just so you know, there are two divisions in F-Class; F-Open and F-TR. The rifles used in these divisions are actually quite different. If the team you were going to provide the parts list for was an F-Open team, that's their problem. :-)

    I shoot F-TR and the rifles used in F-TR is much more like factory rifles compared to F-Open. My first .308 F-TR rifle was based on a Ruger M77 action. The barrel was not a factory barrel. The majority of F-TR rifles are based on a Remington 700 action, or a copy of it. Mine is a Kelbly Stole Panda F-class aluminum action.

    There are also many factory Savage rifles on the line and some are used by fierce competitors to great effect. You can buy those rifles ready for about $1,200 and after you slap on a decent scope and attach a good bipod, you develop your load and go compete.

    I'm happy to discuss parts lists and various details of these rifles, and I would suggest you pop over to the Necksizing thread to do that, if you wish.

    But the bottom line is simply this; you could conceivably get away with necksizing for these fancy rifles because the tolerances are so much higher and the chambers are tighter; nobody does for excellent reasons. However, necksizing for a factory rifle is fraught with danger and inconsistencies.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,409

    Re: Speaking of reloading

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I'm not a toolmaker, but I'm not far off. I can't quite build an injection mold from scratch, but I'm creeping up on it.

    What I'm most curious about is how you have personally measured these inconsistencies of which you speak. And how can you say with any degree of certainty, how it affects downrange performance, considering the nut at the butt is at best slightly inconsistent.

    I'm not sure I could even rig up a jig against a 1-2-3 block that would allow me to speak with the confidence you exude.

    A machinist built your press. A machinist built your dies. A machinist built your barrel. A machinist built your action. A machinist built your scope and stock.

    I do it for a living. And I still can't have the confidence you have in others that do it for you.

    Mike
    My last post on this thread. Promise.

    I am not sure what you're asking here. I explained that repeatedly necksizing will create problems for your rifle and damage it. Have I tried that? Absolutely not. I don't have to, I learn from others and when I see them fighting to open the bolt I know they are damaging their rifle.

    As for inconsistencies on target due to small variations in the loading process, yes, I can observe and measure that. I know when a shot is off because or ammo, or condition or form. I have to know or I'm worthless as a competitor. I endeavor to leave no points on the loading table and the biggest factor in ammo making is consistency; consistency in process, consistency in components. I buy the finest consumables in commercial lot size, to ensure consistency of components. I process the bullets for further consistency. I load my ammo the same way every time, for consistency. If I had to use a body die periodically, I could I maintain consistency in the process. You're a machinist, you would know about consistency in a process.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •