Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta car question

Gotta car question

My son and his wife are considering buying a 2015 Kia Optima, 40k miles. Idk how much it is. Does.anyone know about the quality or potential problems with Kia?

Re: Gotta car question

I investigate automotive warranty claims over a 7-state area surrounding middle Tennessee. I think I could outrun anybody who tried to GIVE me a new Kia and make me drive it! They're notorious for having intermittent electronic and wiring gremlins that are impossible to find and fix. I looked at one with 14K miles that had already been through a transmission and six computers. It's not uncommon to see virtually new cars with intermittent problems and dealer shops with no clue how to fix them. I've participated in a few "lemon law" arbitrations where owners are trying to make dealers take problem cars back.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

I was thinking of.you when I posted.this. Thank you for the information, I really appreciate.it

They are very popular around here because they are cheap. I have 4 girlfriends who have them and love them, two guy friends who have them and hate them, and my first car was a KIA. With that said, my girlfriends lease theirs so they get ride of them before the problems start. Mine was in the shop more than on the road, so I bought a Volkswagen Tiguan instead.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

So they are made like a jeep, wiring anyway? Teach I had a Chrysler mechanic tell me that it didn't matter if it is a Chrysler, ford or GM they are all having their wiring made in China. Do you know if that is true?
    Last edited by kansashunter; 10-08-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Not sure- - - -a friend here in middle Tennessee works at a factory that was a subcontractor for Saturn wiring harnesses but that was several years ago. It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of production has moved overseas, as one of my former students who works on a GM assembly line here got a few days off because an earthquake in Japan interrupted the supply chain, and they're building CADILLACS, fer gosh sakes!

Doesn't KIA stand for "Killed In Action"?

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

I don't know if they still do it, but Chrysler/Dodge used to source their wiring harnesses from Mexico. I've read some funny stories from over a decade ago about workers opening boxes of the stuff and tarantulas crawling out! That would get ya moving on a early morning shift!

Fun thing to do when you have to kill some time. Go to different auto dealers and read the info on the price sheet stuck to the window. The country of origin for the power plant, transmission, body (coachwork) and sometimes frame, too, are listed on that sheet. I did that early this year when I was waiting for the brake job on my Dodge truck to get finished. The Van bodies were Canadian, the engines/transmissions from Mexico, and other parts somewhere else. The Jeeps were European body work and I forget where the engine/transmission package was from. And some of the cars were similar in that the bodies were Canadian or European (France and Italy), the engines Mexico or Canada, and a few parts from the U.S. It's pretty much a craps hoot as to where they are made now.

I've done that at other brand dealerships, and it's depressing how little is made in the U.S.A. People making fun of my made in America Toyota Taco and they're driving an international conglomeration from an American company and bragging "It's made in the U.S.A." Riiiiiiiight.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    My son and his wife are considering buying a 2015 Kia Optima, 40k miles. Idk how much it is. Does.anyone know about the quality or potential problems with Kia?
    My daughter and Son in law love theirs. I think it's a 2014 or 2015. I don't think they've had any problems with it.

But every time I've tried to buy a Chrysler product I've had electrical problems.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-08-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGgal View Post
    They are very popular around here because they are cheap. I have 4 girlfriends who have them and love them, two guy friends who have them and hate them, and my first car was a KIA. With that said, my girlfriends lease theirs so they get ride of them before the problems start. Mine was in the shop more than on the road, so I bought a Volkswagen Tiguan instead.
    I have a Volkswagon Jetta and other than electronics it's pretty solid. But electronics wise it leaves a little to be desired. Of course it has 237,900 miles on it and it's 11 years old.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I have a Volkswagon Jetta and other than electronics it's pretty solid. But electronics wise it leaves a little to be desired. Of course it has 237,900 miles on it and it's 11 years old.
    Electric problems is why I'll never buy another VW/Audi product. We had electrical gremlins with our '96 Passat "out the wazoo". Making it worse was they were pretty much the same kind of gremlins my father had with a '77 Rabbit. The Passat had a wonderful engine, but the electrics were just terrible. I've even heard rumor that you gotta buy "the right" brand of BATTERY for a VW, else you'll have problems. How true that is, I don't know - but if it is, how in tarnation do you design circuits like that?

{Insert rant about un-needed "technology" in cars here}
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

My wife has had a couple electrical problems with her S5......

The dash lights go out, the A/C goes off, and the windows won't go down. Pulingl over and restarting car has cleared it................ so far
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

My daughter and Son in law love theirs. I think it's a 2014 or 2015. I don't think they've had any problems with it.

But every time I've tried to buy a Chrysler product I've had electrical problems.
    I have a 2013 Dodge RAM truck. It's been very reliable for the most part. Only thing that has happened a couple of times is the drivers side windshield washer line gets clogged or one of the fittings under the hood breaks.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

I love mine, but have heard volkswagon horror stories but I think that has been fixed. I'm leasing mine, so hopefully the problems... if any,will be after the car is turned in lol.

I had to do a double take to see who posted this, when I first saw "I have 4 girlfriends" my first thought was "wow"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Jim Wilson on FB
    Rubbing people's noses in stuff is rarely the way to get what you want.

Have him take a look at the Hyundai cars. Their dealers sell many at VERY attractive prices with low mileage coming right off 2 and 3 year leases. My FIL has owned 2 Sonata Limited back to back over the last 6 years and they are great cars. My daughter had a Veloster for 3 years and now has a Sonata for the last 2 and she is very happy with them. My niece has a top of the line Santa Fe and she loves her car and she is in the car business so she did her homework. None of them have had any issues at all with their cars. My other MIL has bees driving the same Elantra for over 10 years with nothing but maintenance ever done to it. Runs well enough that she has no problems doing Florida-Massachusetts runs with it at least once a year.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 10-08-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I ran a 62 Bug in Germany, dang 6 volt battery was under the back seat........if an adult sat back there the coils would start shorting out on the terminals when they first sat down or you hit a bumpy piece of road!

Had another one a Sedan in the 70s with crazy wiring/electrical issues. The engines would run forever.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    I had to do a double take to see who posted this, when I first saw "I have 4 girlfriends" my first thought was "wow"
    Lmao! Nooooo........other kind of girlfriends.

Lmao! Nooooo........other kind of girlfriends.
    Think what he meant is a GUY with four girlfriends would be living as dangerously as a guy juggling hand grenades with the pins pulled!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Think what he meant is a GUY with four girlfriends would be living as dangerously as a guy juggling hand grenades with the pins pulled!
    Why have four girlfriends when one will give you as much to worry about lol.

We had an Old Custom Cruiser...otherwise a Buick Roadmaster....that developed an electrical hitch...when you stepped on the brake the rear hatch would pop open...the wife discovered this with a carload of kids.....in a car wash in the dryer cycle....being a family car there was all kinds of stuff blowing around.... everyone thought it was freaking hilarious...except the wife
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I had a 2012 Kia Optima. It gave no trouble at all, had a lot of power, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I gave the car to my daughter a couple of years ago. She has had no problems with it either.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Have him take a look at the Hyundai cars. Their dealers sell many at VERY attractive prices with low mileage coming right off 2 and 3 year leases. My FIL has owned 2 Sonata Limited back to back over the last 6 years and they are great cars. My daughter had a Veloster for 3 years and now has a Sonata for the last 2 and she is very happy with them. My niece has a top of the line Santa Fe and she loves her car and she is in the car business so she did her homework. None of them have had any issues at all with their cars. My other MIL has bees driving the same Elantra for over 10 years with nothing but maintenance ever done to it. Runs well enough that she has no problems doing Florida-Massachusetts runs with it at least once a year.
    Hyundai owns KIA...........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I currently drive a 2009 Kia Sportage. AWD, 4-cyl turbo diesel automatic transmission.
    Got it used from a customer with around 40K miles of city use only; it's my everyday car, stays in the open close to the sea, has gone to a couple 2,000 miles round trips without a hiccup and a few hunting trips into the Andean mountains. It's about to reach the 90k miles mark.

So far no actual mechanical issues whatsoever. Recently had to replace the alternator's pulley (It broke from its axis) and the belt, along with both frontal suspension strut mounts, but other than those, no problems regarding electrical parts, A/C or engine failures.

Some small plastic internal parts apparently do brittle and break eventually, but not quite sure since all the ones that broke were under the hands of my father (When traveling I leave my car at their place so they can use it as an spare when theirs are at the shop) who can literally tear apart a car with his own hands. He managed to rip off or break the right mirror, glovebox latch, sunglasses compartment, map light button and copilot's external door handle, while stating that it was because "it's a crappy car" (He's used to drive Mercedes).

All the people I know that own or owned 2005-onwards Kia vehicles (SUVs, vans or sedans) have nothing but praises for them, despite that we don't renew our vehicles here as often as you do in the US, have VERY bad roads, awful mechanics and low quality fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    Hyundai owns KIA...........
    Yes I know, but if you look at CS reports Hyundai consistently gets higher ratings. Not sure why, but anyway I’m just reporting my first hand experience with the cars. That’s 6 Hyundais owned by 4 immediate relatives with many years of reliable completely trouble free service. That’s all...

Now my only Kia experience was with the used Sportage we bought for my daughter as her first car out of collage. It was a neat SUV and completely reliable for about 2 years until the transmission self destructed at about 105,000 miles. We put $1,500 into it and sold it the week after. I tend to not hang on to cars after the first major breakdown.
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 10-09-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

My only advice, buy a Toyota.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Teach;690190It wouldn't surprise me that a lot of production has moved overseas, as one of my former students who works on a GM assembly line here got a few days off because an earthquake in Japan interrupted the supply chain, and they're building [B
    CADILLACS[/B], fer gosh sakes!

Doesn't KIA stand for "Killed In Action"?

Jerry
    I remember seeing the CEO of GM in China announcing that they were building 6 plants in China to build cars and trucks there and import them to the U.S.

I would rather have a Dodge built in Mexico than a GM built in China.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post
    I remember seeing the CEO of GM in China announcing that they were building 6 plants in China to build cars and trucks there and import them to the U.S.

JAY
    China is now a HUGE market for luxury vehicles (Communism at it's best no?), probably the largest in the world, and GM was very smart in negotiating an entry into a VERY closed market. Other US car companies have not been all that lucky doing business in China because they do not want to play by their rules.

IIRC they build a buttload of Escalades for the local market and since most car components are manufactured in China anyway and unskilled labor is still relatively cheap there it makes sense to build more cars than you need at the source so they can be exported to other markets. The biggest issue is not global companies acting well, global. The problem is the US government making it so darn hard to bring the profits of these very smart business ventures back to the USA so they can help feed our economy...

Quote Originally Posted by jaywapti View Post

JAY
    That's reall "smart" of GM - people have just about had it with "Hecho en China"...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    My only advice, buy a Toyota.

D
    Toyota is always a right choice and a top quality brand with great resale value. But as far as it being the best quality and reliability out there, well the margins are getting slimmer every year. I remember in the late 70s and early 80s I turned my back on the US automakers because the last Pontiac I bought blew its engine with only 50,000 miles on it and the paint on the hood started peeling in just 3 years.

At that point I gave in and started buying Japanese cars and it was an amazing experience. Over a period of about 10 years I put a lot of miles (in the old days when I actually had to drive to work every day) on a few Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas and NEVER had any major issue with any of them. NONE of them ever left me stranded, EVER!

But a few years back after not finding Japanese vehicles suitable to the activities my family was involved in I went back and started buying American again. I've owned many SUVs including the H2 (GM, owned it over 10 years and I wish they still made the darn things) and a few Ford product including a couple of Explorers, Lincoln Navigator and my favorite vehicle of all times my beloved Ford F-250 SuperDiesel which I still miss. I have also been exposed closely from immediate family to many Hyundais (quite frankly the best bang for your buck I've seen in a long time) and Ford and GM car products and I have to say I have not bumped into a single lemon in the bunch. The closest to a major repair I've seen in a long time was my FIL having to put a new starter in his Mazda 3 about 3 years into his ownership and my daughter's transmission issue with the Kia. Wife and I are driving 2016s Mazdas right now (a 6 and a CX5) and we are in love with these vehicles.

So yes, you can't go wrong buying Toyota, but it's not the ultimate game in town that it once was...
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 10-09-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    That's reall "smart" of GM - people have just about had it with "Hecho en China"...
    Then the real "smart" people must go back to donkeys and horses because just about every car out there has a high % of Hecho en China (and Korea, and Vietnam, and Canada, and Mexico...) components in it...