Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotta car question

Re: Gotta car question

KIA's are a cheap car, a lot like Suzuki and the defunct Geo which became a Chevy. They are not that bad, but they have electrical issues and made poorly. If you but one new and have it for a few years you will be ok. One with 40k on it would be a little iffy for me, I'd pass.

Thanks for the replies. I passed them all on. He says he's researched them and they're gonna buy it. We'll see what happens.

There are several types of learners- - - -some learn by listening to others, some learn by watching others, and some folks just gotta pee on the electric fence themselves to see what happens!

LOL!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

I bought an Optima quite a few years ago. It went with the wife when she aquired an x prefix. It vanished shortly after without explanation. It was very cheaply made and I was not a repeat customer, but I couldn't comment on longevity obviously.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Then the real "smart" people must go back to donkeys and horses because just about every car out there has a high % of Hecho en China (and Korea, and Vietnam, and Canada, and Mexico...) components in it...
    That's true enough, unfortunately.

We drove Fords for many years, although we both were raised in "GM Families". Too much "technology" in Fords these days though. Hopefully, I'm set for the rest of my days with the old MBZ - I wouldn't want a new one of those either.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    KIA's are a cheap car, a lot like Suzuki and the defunct Geo which became a Chevy. They are not that bad, but they have electrical issues and made poorly. If you but one new and have it for a few years you will be ok. One with 40k on it would be a little iffy for me, I'd pass.
    Not that cheap. The one I bought was made here in GA and was a fine auto. No, it wasn't a Caddy (which is probably made off-shore too) but I had no complaints. Great gas mileage and comfortable. It was low and a little noisy, or so others told me, but with my hearing problem, it was fine. Mine didn't have a rear camera on it, which was a problem, but it was available.

When I first got it, it leaked oil around the oil pan. It was fixed after one day, the oil pan had been installed a little off (by a guy from Georgia) but that was the only problem I had with it. I was favorably impressed and would buy another.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

For Korean cars Hyundai is definitely the way to go instead of Kia like someone had mentioned above.

Like I said before, if you want to know the origin of the new vehicles, and that would include, Ford, Chevy, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and GMC, just go to the car lots and peruse the new cars. The point of origin of all major parts is on the window sticker. With that information in hand, you pays your money and you takes your chances. And with the internet, you can pretty much find out the reliability, or lack thereof, of any vehicle.

I had a Suzuki Sidekick, bought new, in 1994, 4WD and auto transmission, and the only problem I had with it was a valve cover gasket at about 11 years that started leaking. That was the only thing that was a 'major' repair, and I drove it like I stole it most of the time. I sold it to a friend in 2006, and he ran it the same way. Good little hunting vehicle. You couldn't run fast enough to make me buy one of the later ones, though.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Friend of mine just got out walking from a VERY severe highway accident in which he totaled his daughter's new Suzuki sedan; as a frequent Mercedes driver, he couldn't believe the car could withstand such amount of damage without harming him at all (Other than the temporary hearing loss and face pain due to the airbag blast).

Yes, they're relatively inexpensive rather than poorly made; wife got a small Jimny (Samurai current versio; her 1st. brand-new car) and after 65k miles the only issue it showed was having to re-balance the front tires more than often or otherwise you'll end up having some steering wheel vibration when slamming the brakes...wouldn't believe what that girl went through with that little truck!

Huancaya 08 7 (i).jpg