Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Dang it Walmart!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Dang it Walmart!

    I was in Walmart last night, just minding my own business and headed to the automotive section to get some oil. On the way I walked by the sporting goods section and happened to look at their rifle display..... Now, I have a Marlin Model 60 .22LR that was given to me 30 years ago and my kids love shooting it so much that my wife bought a Savage Model 64 .22LR so that the kids could both shoot at the same time. I have been much less than impressed with the Savage because of the extremely poor quality of the magazines. And I find this in the rifle case last night:









    No, I did not buy it......yet. But it has me very tempted to buy it and sell the Savage Model 64 since my old Marlin Model 60 works so well.....

    They also had this:









    I have been wanting a Remington 700 but never having bought this style of rifle before.....is this a good price? My wife was with me and I have a suspicion that she is considering putting it on Layaway for me for Christmas.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18,364

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Personally, I would buy the synthetic ADL version they sell there at Walmart for $374. Then, save the extra money for a good stock and trigger.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

  3. #3
    Senior Member Diver43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Personally, I would buy the synthetic ADL version they sell there at Walmart for $374. Then, save the extra money for a good stock and trigger.
    Zee speaketh exactly what I was thinking. I actually don't mind the stock that came on mine, but money saved went toward a Timney trigger and glass.
    As for the .22, wish I could find them around here for that price.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Call me old fashioned, but I just do not care for synthetic stocks......to the point that when I wanted to buy an AK based 12 gauge I did not make the purchase until I found one with wood furniture. It is simply a personal preference of mine. Yes, I understand the advantages of a synthetic stock if you are out hunting in the weather and having to haul it for miles along with other gear, but realistically that is not something I will be doing much of. Most of the use will be at the range with hopefully an occasional hog hunt. Also, I am not really one to modify an existing firearm....don't have the skills or the cash to pay someone else to do it, so I will likely buy one that already has a stock I like. I do appreciate the suggestions though. I did also see a used one at a LGS for about the same price, but included the scope.....did not take a close enough look to get details on the scope. If I do consider used, what do I need to look for to make sure it is in good condition?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,416

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    The 200th Anniversary Remington 700 is essentially a BDL, and yes, that is a pretty good price.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    I looked at a 200 year anniversary rifle that was complete garbage. The metal finish was rough and thin, the stock checkering was very poorly executed.

    All around maybe the quality I would expect from a Savage Axis.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

  7. #7
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    19,774

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I just do not care for synthetic stocks......to the point that when I wanted to buy an AK based 12 gauge I did not make the purchase until I found one with wood furniture. It is simply a personal preference of mine. Yes, I understand the advantages of a synthetic stock if you are out hunting in the weather and having to haul it for miles along with other gear, but realistically that is not something I will be doing much of. Most of the use will be at the range with hopefully an occasional hog hunt. Also, I am not really one to modify an existing firearm....don't have the skills or the cash to pay someone else to do it, so I will likely buy one that already has a stock I like. I do appreciate the suggestions though. I did also see a used one at a LGS for about the same price, but included the scope.....did not take a close enough look to get details on the scope. If I do consider used, what do I need to look for to make sure it is in good condition?
    For less money than a good synthetic you can buy a Laminate wood Boyd's stock and drop it in that. If you're half way handy you can finish it yourself, either with some kind of oil, such as Boiled linseed oil or maybe Birchwood Casey True Oil, or with Poly Urethane spray. I did one of my rifles with Poly Urethane according to Boyd's directions. It looks great and it doesn't take Picasso to do it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    MOzambique
    Posts
    35,076

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I just do not care for synthetic stocks......to the point that when I wanted to buy an AK based 12 gauge I did not make the purchase until I found one with wood furniture. It is simply a personal preference of mine. Yes, I understand the advantages of a synthetic stock if you are out hunting in the weather and having to haul it for miles along with other gear, but realistically that is not something I will be doing much of. Most of the use will be at the range with hopefully an occasional hog hunt. Also, I am not really one to modify an existing firearm....don't have the skills or the cash to pay someone else to do it, so I will likely buy one that already has a stock I like. I do appreciate the suggestions though. I did also see a used one at a LGS for about the same price, but included the scope.....did not take a close enough look to get details on the scope. If I do consider used, what do I need to look for to make sure it is in good condition?
    Changing stocks is literally two screws. If you can't operate a screw driver or Allen wrench to swap a stock, well, I just don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

    I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Diver43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Between Ft Lauderdale and Miami
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Changing stocks is literally two screws. If you can't operate a screw driver or Allen wrench to swap a stock, well, I just don't know.
    And changing a trigger on a Remington 700 is fairly easy.
    Even I pulled it from the stock, changed the trigger and put it all back together.
    I bet you can also
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    622

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    While on your way to buy oil and filter you "just happened" to look at some rifles? Is that what you told the wife?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    While on your way to buy oil and filter you "just happened" to look at some rifles? Is that what you told the wife?
    LOL! I am one of those lucky guys whose wife has an arsenal nearly as large as mine. The Savage Model 64 that I am considering replacing with the Marlin Model 60 actually is hers, not mine. I showed it to her and if we had the cash to spare right now she would have already bought it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    When I go to Walmart on my weekly or so visits, I enter near the 'Drugstore' entrance hook a right and grab things like razors, shampoo.............and hook a left by the birdseed/outdoor/cruise by the automotive stuff and then look at the ammo display (well stocked lately) and give the spindles a twist to see what rifles/shotguns they have. Routine for me, never know.

    If an employee is around I chat and ask about guns on sale or clearance...........then I breeze by the TVs/electronics, take a leak in the back crapper if necessary, then off to the pet food area, chips/crackers to the milk/cheese/eggs area and then up the right side there and only venture down an isle if I need soup/paper products/coffee/bread or whatnot, then the produce as my last area.

    Then the mad dash is on to find a line to get in, oh boy.......seems all the cashiers start leaving when I think I find an empty line and put the lane closed sign out....sometimes I get lucky, usually not and get behind someone with "Difficulties" or wanting to have their stuff rang up with 3 or 4 receipts like they are shopping for a lot of different people and just can't read from one receipt or like the lady the other day using about 4 different credit and gift cards............so such is my Walmart experience and sometimes I see a couple bonafide 'Walmartians' ...................as a bonus!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    The 200th Anniversary Remington 700 is essentially a BDL, and yes, that is a pretty good price.
    I don't see an MDL listed on the Remington website, but I do see a 200th Anniversary Edition ADL.....

    Is the MDL a Walmart exclusive model maybe?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Oh lets not fergit the parking lot, besides the lazy bums who leave their shopping carts where they parked even if a collection bin is 10 feet away. Unless you want to make a right turn onto the busy 4 lane road leaving there is only one traffic light near the gas pumps which is a 3-way stop at a 4-way intersection just before the light, that gets interesting because incoming traffic has the right-of-way on that road to go on down to the Walmart or to the Lowe's or hang a left to the gas pumps........all the rest are supposed to stop look and show a little common sense and courtesy.............lets just say you feel relieved to get up to the light without incident!
    Last edited by Big Chief; 10-09-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Looking back at the pics I took, that MDL looks identical to the "MODEL 700 ADL - 200TH ANN. CE." listed on the Remington website, right down to the pattern on the checkering.....if that is it, then the Walmart price is $147 under MSRP, but who charges MSRP?

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Be sure and ask at Walmart if any guns are on "Clearance" they are not tagged that way and when I hit the 45-70 deal it wasn't. They have to type the info in the register even the scanner wouldn't pick it up............If I hadn't of seen about it on the Internet and asked specifically when I got there I would have never known.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    I seldom see anyone holding a rifle/shotgun at Walmart...............most places you say let me see that gun and they clear and hand it to you.......probably because it is such a pain and they have to go and get the keys, maybe a manager and it takes about forever.....so do your homework first and test fit/hold one someplace else first. I guess that is the price we pay for cheaper prices than an LGS for the same models.

    OK...............sorry about the Walmart rant of sorts.............just the way it is. I will go back in a day or two, don't get me wrong.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    First you have to track somebody down who can then track down the person who works in that department......then they have to track down a manager......then the manager has to figure out where the key is.....

  19. #19
    Senior Member Antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    1,988

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    .....As for the .22, wish I could find them around here for that price.
    Agree!....not considering the ease you guys have to get one without all the paperwork and waiting time we suffer down here. The local importer currently has "on sale" a few rifles including some Marlin 60 models and the prices have been lowered from an average $ 450 to $ 400.
    Always considered to get one but since I already have a J.C. Higgins 31 on the safe, a 2nd. tubular-fed semiauto .22LR seems a tad redundant to me; still, my favorite is the laminated stock/stainless steel variant.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    I think I paid $99 bucks at a K-mart back in 96 fer my model 60 Marlin. It has a medallion in the stock depicting a father and son hunting or something.

    I would definitely pay for a new one at Walmart over any used one at a LGS unless it was in LNIB condition and a whole lot cheaper. Never know who used to own it and how they took care or not of it or what they did to it. Used is Used.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    And Walmart has layaway.........hmmmmm

  22. #22

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    They still carrying that $99 folding single shot 12ga?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Did not see that one.

  24. #24
    Senior Member JasonMPD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Personally, I would buy the synthetic ADL version they sell there at Walmart for $374. Then, save the extra money for a good stock and trigger.

    Kind of in this camp. However, I’ve seen some vast quality variations when comparing the BDL and CDL to an ADL. That notwithstanding, as much as I like my CDL wood stock, I replaced it with a B&C.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    I stopped by and looked at it again today (yes, with my wife) and it looks identical to this one:

    https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...l-200th-ann-ce

  26. #26
    Member Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sparta New Jersey
    Posts
    310

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    My britches just got a little tighter. Miss living in a state with a real Walmart!

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3,416

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by horselips View Post
    The 200th Anniversary Remington 700 is essentially a BDL, and yes, that is a pretty good price.
    My Bad! I see now that's this is just an el cheapo ADL model. So, NO, that's an outrageous price for a wood-stocked entry-level rifle. Can you even imagine what the naybers would say behind your back if they saw you at the range with ... an ADL. Geeezus.

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    264

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    What are the differences between the ADL, BDL and CDL versions?

  29. #29
    Senior Member bisley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    9,060

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    First you have to track somebody down who can then track down the person who works in that department......then they have to track down a manager......then the manager has to figure out where the key is.....
    ^THIS^

    I've purchased two .22 rifles at two different stores in the last ~10 years. Each time, it took at least three employees to get the paperwork done and perp-walk me out the front door, as though I were on the shoplifter watch list. The last time, I was tempted to walk in front of the designated gun bearer (no box for this one)with my coat over my head and with my hands up, to freak out all of the Walmartians who stopped to gawk.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Big Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    28,283

    Re: Dang it Walmart!

    Retarded how they and many stores escort you to the front door as if you had evil intentions and that would prevent you from loading it up in the parking lot and going back in to rob them or something. You just passed a background check and have no criminal history or warrants or any record of wife whupping or whatever, how many of their other customers in the store could pass all that........maybe they should be more worried about them!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •