Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A rant on Medicare suppelmental insurance policies

Re: A rant on Medicare suppelmental insurance policies

Be sure to keep a close eye on your retirement account....I remember the day I checked on mine and discovered that 2/3s of it was gone....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Be sure to keep a close eye on your retirement account....I remember the day I checked on mine and discovered that 2/3s of it was gone....
    Omg, really? That's horrible, how could that happen? I'm soooooooo sorry to hear that.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

The portion I had invested in conservative investments (nothing high risk) disappeared overnight when the stock market crashed...the only thing I had left was what was invested in low interest but safe Government bonds....sure put a cramp in our retirement....not fatal but certainly not what we hoped for...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Same thing happened to my parents. They lost a million in a "safe" investment. It wasn't fatal for them either, but that was their money to enjoy when the are fully retired... this isn't fair at all to do to people.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

Got a call from a scammer trying to get some identity theft info from me this morning. I was already on the internet so I pulled up the white pages computer site (got it bookmarked) and talked to him while I entered the phone #. The info on the phone number came back:

KNOWN PHONE SCAM NUMBER

He sure wanted a lot of info just to give me a quote on price. I messed with him a while and gave him nothing. Finally told him he sounded like a scammer and hung up. I hope that if he IS a scammer, that he dies in a fire and burns up feet first.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

I have healthcare provided as part of my medical retirement package, but will lose it once I am 65. Not looking forward to planning the medicare and supplemental insurance. I will consider AARP as a very last resort, but open to suggestions. I still have 15 years or so, so Lord only knows what will be around at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    The same thing happened to us at the airline i retired from, the Co. managed the retirement fund, it was set up that if you took any money out before you retired, you had to pay approx 50% in tax. None of us thought it would drop so much so we didnt pull our money out, in the end we all lost about 4/5 of what we had.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Wow, that's not right. My retirement sits in a state pension system that they promise isn't going anywhere. While I am taking distribution of benefits, I am working with my accountant to make sure it is all there when we are childless, but I am not comfortable placing all our money in a private IRA. We have a lot of options, just scared to make the wrong ones after almost 30 years of contributing to the system.

Ha, started getting junk mail about when I get to 65 supplemental Ins yesterday already.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Ha, started getting junk mail about when I get to 65 supplemental Ins yesterday already.
    Told ya! They're freakin' relentless!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Told ya! They're freakin' relentless!
    It goes in the trash along with the car dealership gimmicks............last one had a scratch off said I could be a Big Winner with $10,000 off any new car, but I had to scratch it off in the presence of a car salesman at the dealership to be valid to claim my "Prize"!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!