Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harris bipod...swivel or no swivel?

Harris bipod...swivel or no swivel?

I'm shopping for a bipod to use for bench shooting. Looking at a Harris with notched legs, but some have a swivel feature. That swivel feature adds 50% to the cost, so I don't want it if it has no bench shooting applications.

Anyone familiar with the swivel feature and when it would be useful?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

Will Rogers

Re: Harris bipod...swivel or no swivel?

SWIVEL!!!!!!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

On a level bench I'd say no swivel. Uneven ground I'd say swivel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Depends on what you're using it for....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Depends on what you're using it for....
    Shooting paper and steel from a bench.

Will Rogers

I have one on one of my rifles no swivel....... misunderstood the question. I would say swivel for sure, but from a bench it isn't really a big deal. For the price, go swivel, that way if you are shooting prone and have uneven earth, you will have a better platform. I don't have that luxury, but for the $100 or less it's well worth it.
    Last edited by Axe; 10-09-2017 at 04:02 AM.

SWIVEL!!!!!!!
    Because?

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTone911 View Post
    Shooting paper and steel from a bench.
    Don't need the feature on a bench in my world....

A non-swivel bipod is about as useful as a flat tire.

I have both. If it don't swivel.........it's worthless to me. With the swivel capability, you can always level your rifle without having to reach up and adjust the legs. Just to find its not right and have to adjust them again. And again. And again. It sucks balls. Trust me.

Anyone happy with the non swivel is a cheap bastard that doesn't know any better. Again. I have both. I would just as soon squeeze my nuts in a vice as buy a non swivel Harris Bipod.

Agree with Zee: get the swivel every time. I have owned both solid base and swivel base, and I will never buy a solid base again. So much easier to level the gun with a swivel base to bother with a solid base.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    On a level bench I'd say no swivel. Uneven ground I'd say swivel.
    Concur!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

I have both. If it don't swivel.........it's worthless to me. With the swivel capability, you can always level your rifle without having to reach up and adjust the legs. Just to find its not right and have to adjust them again. And again. And again. It sucks balls. Trust me.

Anyone happy with the non swivel is a cheap bastard that doesn't know any better. Again. I have both. I would just as soon squeeze my nuts in a vice as buy a non swivel Harris Bipod.
    This. With equal passion.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

I'm hurt....

Quote Originally Posted by TrueTone911 View Post
    I'm shopping for a bipod to use for bench shooting. Looking at a Harris with notched legs, but some have a swivel feature. That swivel feature adds 50% to the cost, so I don't want it if it has no bench shooting applications.

Anyone familiar with the swivel feature and when it would be useful?
    You want to bench shoot off a bipod? You're not shooting competitively are you? If so you need to get you a quality rest, but front and rear.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

SWIVEL!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

The first time I shot PD I had a non swivel, that night I went to a LGS and bought a swivel, off the bench, for me it doesnt matter because I shoot of a rest or sandbags.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Got both. Swivel, hands down.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

With my Harris bipod‘s they have both the notched leg feature and the swivel feature
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    I'm hurt....
    We can still be friends. I just can't bring you home to meet my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    You want to bench shoot off a bipod? You're not shooting competitively are you? If so you need to get you a quality rest, but front and rear.
    I am obviously not against quality front rests and rear bags
    Nothing wrong with shooting off of a bi-pod and a field rear bag.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Well you convinced me. Actually, you already convinced me and I ordered the swivel version last night. Just wanted to know why.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will Rogers

Only have a non-swivel one for bench shooting and it works fine for me; have tried the swivel models in some friends' rifles and didn't liked the system.

Asked among the ones who use them for hunting (I don't like them for such job) and all of them agreed that a swivel bi-pod is the best choice when using the available terrain as resting surface.

I have one Harris bipod and it's on a Rem 700 in .223, fixed one and it works fine for my purposes, which is shooting off a bench.

Can you lock the swivel ones down until you want that feature? I have noticed if I use a rifle rest and have it collapsed and folded under I hear a Cha-Ching upon firing...........not sure if those vibrations make any difference or not on POI/Accuracy.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

There is a knurled knob on the back of the bipod you can tighten to increase tension on the swivel or to lock it down. There is also an accessory called a "Pod-Lock" that can replace the knob with a lever if one so chooses.

Since this is relatively new to you, I think you should ask yourself who you are competing against, and what are your goals? Personally, I have never needed to go beyond competing against myself, and my goal is to be a decent marksman in reasonable real-life applications, like hunting or showing off for even less accomplished marksmen.

Some folks get great joy from simply acquiring the proper equipment and dreaming about the possibilities...whenever they get enough practice opportunities...someday. I went through that stage, briefly, before scaling my aspirations down to simply being able to hit MOA sized targets from what I think of as a 'field rest.' For me, that is any kind of rest that might be available in hunting type circumstances, so I use a plain old swivel Harris bipod and a bag for my fist to rest on, underneath the the rear of the stock. It takes a good deal of practice for me to shoot MOA with any consistency, even at the very modest distance of 300 yards. By that, I mean that I can probably do it once, at every practice session, but I've never been consistent enough to be confident that I can do it with my first group. I spend most of my time and ammo just trying to punch my ticket for that very modest level of achievement.

So, that means that every practice session is spent simply trying to recover what I've lost since the last practice. At that rate, it's very hard to improve. Your mileage may vary, but I suggest that you simply buy some reasonably decent equipment and and start shooting. Have some fun, and adapt your goals as you go along. It's all good, if you are pleased with yourself occasionally.

A good field bag is also helpful in tighter groups
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Since this is relatively new to you, I think you should ask yourself who you are competing against, and what are your goals? Personally, I have never needed to go beyond competing against myself, and my goal is to be a decent marksman in reasonable real-life applications, like hunting or showing off for even less accomplished marksmen.

Some folks get great joy from simply acquiring the proper equipment and dreaming about the possibilities...whenever they get enough practice opportunities...someday. I went through that stage, briefly, before scaling my aspirations down to simply being able to hit MOA sized targets from what I think of as a 'field rest.' For me, that is any kind of rest that might be available in hunting type circumstances, so I use a plain old swivel Harris bipod and a bag for my fist to rest on, underneath the the rear of the stock. It takes a good deal of practice for me to shoot MOA with any consistency, even at the very modest distance of 300 yards. By that, I mean that I can probably do it once, at every practice session, but I've never been consistent enough to be confident that I can do it with my first group. I spend most of my time and ammo just trying to punch my ticket for that very modest level of achievement.

So, that means that every practice session is spent simply trying to recover what I've lost since the last practice. At that rate, it's very hard to improve. Your mileage may vary, but I suggest that you simply buy some reasonably decent equipment and and start shooting. Have some fun, and adapt your goals as you go along. It's all good, if you are pleased with yourself occasionally.
    I prefer to have everything as solid as I can while bench shooting. That eliminates the equipment as a cause to my poor shooting. Once that's dialed in, then I'll practice from field positions.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I prefer to have everything as solid as I can while bench shooting. That eliminates the equipment as a cause to my poor shooting. Once that's dialed in, then I'll practice from field positions.
    Good idea, if you aren't going to have to buy everything, retail. In my case, I know that I will never practice enough to maintain the highest level I might be able to achieve, so I set a more modest goal that I can maintain with less practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    Good idea, if you aren't going to have to buy everything, retail. In my case, I know that I will never practice enough to maintain the highest level I might be able to achieve, so I set a more modest goal that I can maintain with less practice.
    You got a bipod, just get a rear bag you cheap old fart.

3 sizes of field bags I use for Rifles
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"