Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue

Re: In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Actually, since the people of the "New World" weren't Christians, there was justification to treat them as less than human. Sadly, those things still happen today.
    WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Hey them Redskins killed/enslaved/conquered each other long before the Pale-Skins showed up, European's were just better at it.

The whole world was doing that back then and you can't turn back the clock on history and right any "Wrongs" using today's societal mores.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

And why should descendants be held responsible for what their ancestors did (or didn't do/accused of)...............I don't owe any of the whiners, history revisionist or social justice warriors a damn thing except to treat them with the same respect as I do toward any other human being. And that is a Two-way street.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    ............... and you can't turn back the clock on history and right any "Wrongs" using today's societal mores.
    They are going to rewrite the Gunpowder Plot next, new BBC drama "Gunpowder".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/gunpowder

Bloody Papists.

If not Guy Fawkes, who will I burn on bonfire night now, in effigy naturally?
    Last edited by shush; 10-10-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Hanged, drawn and quartered, say I.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

So they went and hanged Guido ................................

So they went and hanged Guido ................................
    and drawn and quartered.

So that's where them masks the ANTIFA and their ilk wear in the streets come from..........I thought it was like a Shakespearean actor, Sir Walter Raleigh or the dude on Zig-Zag rolling papers

And why should descendants be held responsible for what their ancestors did (or didn't do/accused of)...............I don't owe any of the whiners, history revisionist or social justice warriors a damn thing except to treat them with the same respect as I do toward any other human being. And that is a Two-way street.
    Agreed. We can't go back and make the past right, all we can do is learn from it and not make those same mistakes. People need to learn to stop holding grudges against people that aren't alive. There is enough to be pissed off about in the present.

................... or the dude on Zig-Zag rolling papers

zorba??????

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post

zorba??????
    I think the story is he was in a battle and his pipe was hit with a bullet so he rolled his tobacco from some paper from a gunpowder charge bag. However rolling papers have been around for a lot longer

https://www.rollingpaperdepot.com/pa...Rolling-Papers

Zig-Zag perfected them in zig-zag layers.............

"The zouave soldier portrayed on the front of Zig-Zag products is colloquially known as the "Zig-Zag man". The choice of a member of this French North African regiment as a Zig-Zag icon originates from a folk story about an incident in the battle of Sevastopol. When the soldier's clay pipe was destroyed by a bullet, he attempted to roll his tobacco using a piece of paper torn from his bag of gunpowder.[1]

"In an advertising campaign in the 1960s, Zig-Zag published leaflets with the zouave facing the viewer (much like Uncle Sam) and the caption, "Captain Zig-Zag wants YOU!" The reason for using the rank of "captain" is unclear as the Zig-Zag man is portrayed in the fez and embroidered jacket of an ordinary zouave and is not an officer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zig-Zag_(company)

See, we never smokers missed out on so much.

I think the story is he was in a battle and his pipe was hit with a bullet so he rolled his tobacco from some paper from a gunpowder charge bag. However rolling papers have been around for a lot longer
    Corn shucks make pretty good rolling papers and were used for a long time. Papers cost money, but corn shucks were free!

The explorers to the New World gave the indigenous people smallpox and measles inadvertently. They'd never been exposed to the viruses and it hit them hard. They, in turn, gave the explorers syphilis, so it seems like they got their revenge on the Europeans. That 'social disease' showed up in Europe shortly after Columbus and his ships returned to Europe. You can Google that if you're of a mind to do so. It hit the Europeans really hard, and the descriptions of the diseases action on them is pretty gross.

Most history classes just skim the high points of history. There's a LOT more there that most historians would rather you didn't find out. Might make some of the famous folk in history look bad. Like sailors in the Pacific islands trading nails for sexual favors. Islanders didn't have iron, and had a great desire to obtain it. Didn't take them long to turn those cooking pots and stuff into knives, axe heads, arrow points, and other pointy, sticky stabby things. Whether relatively primitive or advanced culture, people seem to put a lot more effort into killing one another than living in peace. And give the relatively primitive culture modern weapons and they really go to town with that killing thing. Seems like killing one another is a lot easier than living in peace.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Injins gave them Tobacco and they gave them Horses...............which were here previously, but went extinct.