Thread: 'USS Bread and Water'

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: 'USS Bread and Water'

Give 'em a touch of the captain's daughter mr. bosun and stop 'em their rum.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Better than keelhauling I suppose...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Keel haul the beggars!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

I don't know though, that keeps the underwater bits clean.

THIS is the legacy of Commander-in-Chief Barack Obama.

One more thing - punishing a SAILOR for underage drinking? Kidding me? LOL.

Before the 'touchy-feely' Navy of now, bad Captains weren't all that uncommon. The ship I was on started out with a good one, and a good XO. Then we got a bad Captain and a WORSE XO a year later. Then we got one that was pretty good, except he didn't listen, and an XO that was, pardon my French, an unmitigated retarded gerbil with brain cell deficiency issues, and unfit to command a rowboat.

How it used to work:
    The Captain ran the overall ship, supported his division officers, and did discipline with an even hand. When the CO got pissed off, he cut loose on the XO who tempered the heat to the Div. Officers, who let the Chiefs know there was a problem, and the Chiefs unloaded on the leading and enlisted. And things got done. Chiefs didn't have to yell to make things get done; they had super powers to make your life miserable if you didn't shape up.

If the Captain is a loose cannon, and the XO doesn't even begin to temper the heat the CO is putting out and lets it loose full force on the Div. Officers, the Div. Officers go in panic mode, unload the untempered fire and brimstone on the Chiefs, and the crew catches hell. Result is a crew that is running scared from all the friction from the LPOs, Chiefs, and Division officers.

Now, with the automation aboard ship, the crew is a good deal smaller, but the normal workload of cleaning, painting, maintenance, critical equipment repair, watch standing, and general work is still the same. So they have a little trouble keeping up with the work. Add in a Captain that couldn't buy a clue, and Div. Officers scared poopless to let him and the XO know that there are problems, and you have the recipe for a dysfunctional ship and crew. Add in the fact that now the crew is likely coed, and that the squids are not the same rowdy can-do type of the past that partied hard, worked harder, and practiced magic words and phrases from The Book on a pretty continuous basis, and you get those 'gripe sheets' from command that are pretty worthless as to getting things corrected. Captain knows how the crew feels about him from the gripe sheets, as he's likely getting counseled about the problems, and can either take it to heart and change, or continue with what he's doing and probably bear down a little harder with the punishment and overbearing command style.

My take on it is that the Navy went to hell in a handbasket when it went coed aboard ship, and the squids are WAY to civilized. We didn't have people running to the chaplain, Div. Officer, Chief or LPO when we had a problem; we dealt with it. And we always found ways to have fun and amuse ourselves out at sea. Like when a Russian cruiser pulled up alongside us at less than 50 yards showing off, and a bunch of us on the fantail dropped our bellbottoms and skivvies and mooned their bridge! Nothing came of it then, but I bet it would be blown into a big international incident now!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

What's the problem your at sea and can have all the bread and water you want.

Oh yeah a stateroom as well.
    Go Cowboys go

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    What's the problem your at sea and can have all the bread and water you want.

Oh yeah a stateroom as well.
    My 'stateroom' was shared with 47 more smelly bodies, stacked three high! You ate three times a day, and got some geedunk between meals either from the ship's store or the vending machines!
    Ossifers!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

The Navy's problem in two little words- - - -CNO "Zoomie Zumwalt!" Things went pretty steadily downhill from there!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    Just an old fart making the PC Patrol earn their pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    The Navy's problem in two little words- - - -CNO "Zoomie Zumwalt!" Things went pretty steadily downhill from there!
    Jerry
    And Obama's SECNAV ,Ray Mabus, drove the last nail in the coffin.

Spend a couple years on a command which is hell afloat, then see which side of your mouth you laugh out of.
    We had a Captain Kirk type(in a real life situation, they SUCK) and an XO who was literally relieved of his
    command for cause, with a letter of reprimand. He got away with it for almost three years, because he wouldn't
    authorize a transfer, unless you re-enlisted. So all the navy saw for a long time was a high re-enlistment rate
    aboard. Then somebody noticed our 400 man destroyer had twice as many AWOLs as the 7000 man aircraft
    carrier across the pier...

...in retrospect, I'd have gladly served during wartime, if I'd had the opportunity.

Did you not decided to cling on anyway?

I stayed, put in my four years and got an Honorable Discharge. "cling on", yeah that's funny. The Destroyer Squadron warned our
    XO if he had one more AWOL, the poo would HTF . The day we got that message, it was leaked, and a bunch of us, myself included, took off, sealing
    his fate. I'm certain there were more hated men in the Navy, than our commander, but I'd bet he was in the top 10. That guy was an
    arrogant, condescending, sadistic prick. They station you on the opposite coast from where you live, generally, so morale is never
    really high, but this guy scuttled morale at every opportunity.

Funny thing is, you used to hear about how everybody in the Navy hated Navy Beans. It was one of my favorite meals aboard ship.
    Go figure.
    Last edited by Danoobie; 10-11-2017 at 08:53 AM.

GIs sing .............'GI beans, GI gravy........... wish I had joined the Fricking Navy'
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

So the Navy is where Marines got all their bad habits Or is it a symbiotic relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    So the Navy is where Marines got all their bad habits Or is it a symbiotic relationship
    USN was originally made up of sailors, some private, some privateers, and some with experience on British warships. That tends to be corrupting influence in and of itself. The image of a sailor with a bottle of rum in one hand and his arm around a 'loose woman of low moral standards' heading upstairs is really old. That's what the USN had to draw from to man the ships when the Navy was authorized. Then they authorized the Marine Corps and put them aboard ship; they weren't sailors, and were easily corrupted. A feller can't listen to all those bawdy sea shanties and non stop cussin' without being adversely affected!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    GIs sing .............'GI beans, GI gravy........... wish I had joined the Fricking Navy'
    I was in the Air Force and we always had good food at every base that I was ever at. At Eglin we even had steak and lobster almost weekly. In Korea the food sucked on base but we could eat in town for less than the chow hall anyway and we could also eat at the ROK NCO club which had good food and cost the same as the chow hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Or flogging.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    I was in the Air Force and we always had good food at every base that I was ever at. At Eglin we even had steak and lobster almost weekly. In Korea the food sucked on base but we could eat in town for less than the chow hall anyway and we could also eat at the ROK NCO club which had good food and cost the same as the chow hall.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

After reading the article it seems to me these poor oppressed and degraded offenders were very lightly punished. The Army equivalent punishment for these relatively minor offenses was usually restriction to base for a weekend performing much less than desirable details. The military Article 15 (referred to by my Navy friends and relatives as a Captain's mast) was mentioned. The usual punishment being loss of one rank/pay grade and one month pay. Much more severe.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoobie View Post
    I stayed, put in my four years and got an Honorable Discharge. "cling on", yeah that's funny. The Destroyer Squadron warned our
    XO if he had one more AWOL, the poo would HTF . The day we got that message, it was leaked, and a bunch of us, myself included, took off, sealing
    his fate. I'm certain there were more hated men in the Navy, than our commander, but I'd bet he was in the top 10. That guy was an
    arrogant, condescending, sadistic prick. They station you on the opposite coast from where you live, generally, so morale is never
    really high, but this guy scuttled morale at every opportunity.

Funny thing is, you used to hear about how everybody in the Navy hated Navy Beans. It was one of my favorite meals aboard ship.
    Go figure.
    Some people just don't appreciate proper good food. Some times they aren't cultured enough to appreciate beans.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    Give 'em a touch of the captain's daughter mr. bosun and stop 'em their rum.
    Rum, Sodomy and the Lash?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Actually, all in all, the Navy chow was pretty decent. Usually we had fresh eggs, they baked bread aboard ship, and with
    the exception of some grade Z roast beast, and stringy corned beef, the food was great, as long as it was cooked right.
    The food at basic training was terrible, my guess is they wanted to accustom everyone to "battle rations" and staples. You heard
    about the occasional ship, strung out way down the end of the line getting into a "operational menu", but generally speaking
    the supply sorties were very regular, throughout deployment.

BTW, IIRC, in my 3 and a half years aboard ship, nobody ever got hit with 3 days bread and water. Our Captain was more the
    "half a month's pay, for three months, demotion by one pay-grade" type. My guess is most of us would have gladly taken the 3 days
    bread and water, given a choice.