Thread: Dumb People In St. Louis Keep Getting Gored Because They Take SELFIES WITH ELK

Dumb People In St. Louis Keep Getting Gored Because They Take SELFIES WITH ELK

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/10/du...m_medium=email

How RETARDED can folks be.................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: Dumb People In St. Louis Keep Getting Gored Because They Take SELFIES WITH ELK

What's next? Running down the street in front of charging bulls?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Re: Dumb People In St. Louis Keep Getting Gored Because They Take SELFIES WITH ELK

People have watched too many Disney and other movies about animals, animated and otherwise, and have no concept of how they actually behave. And this happens way too often. With bison, elk, deer, the occasional bear, and especially with farm animals. And even fish! Nothing like a 1,000+ pound bull elk to get your attention!
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

The sad thing is many times the animal is destroyed ... an animal minding their own business and warnings signs saying LEAVE THE ANIMALS ALONE! I know I’d never make it one season as a Wildlife Officer because I’d take the animal’s side and write the person a citation before they could leave to go to the hospital.

I was in Upstate NY and a cow moose tap danced on a guy who wanted to “pet” her baby ... MORON! They put down the cow and her baby because of that idiot.
    Last edited by NCFUBAR; 10-11-2017 at 01:40 AM.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

They do this crap in Yellowstone all the time. . .WITH BISON!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    People have watched too many Disney and other movies about animals, animated and otherwise, and have no concept of how they actually behave. And this happens way too often. With bison, elk, deer, the occasional bear, and especially with farm animals. And even fish! Nothing like a 1,000+ pound bull elk to get your attention!
    You would think the Messin' with Sasquatch commercials would make them think twice.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/10/du...m_medium=email

How RETARDED can folks be.................
    I have got far beyond the point where human's ignorance and idiocy surprises me.

I saw people standing at a bus stop taking video of a tornado once. If there's ever a giant mushroom cloud near by someone will photograph or video that too. Im still waiting for the posted selfy with a masked sword swinging, AK toting suicide bomber.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

And young Bambi could give you a good kickin' if he felt threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    My last Yellowstone visit was in 1996. A moron was kneeling 10 feet in front in front of a 5 point bull elk taking photos. The bull lowered it's head and pawed the ground twice. Uh! Oh! Apparently the bull decided the puny human was not worth the effort and walked away. My Wife was taking photos of a bull bison which was grazing about 100 feet from the roadside. She wanted a photo of it looking at her and asked if I could throw a rock at it to get it's attention! I answered. "You throw a rock at it. I will be in the Jeep as far down the road as I can get"! She re-considered. When we returned to the Jeep a grinning coyote was pissing on the tire. Although the Yellowstone wild life are quite accustomed to humans they are still wild and unpredictable. The bear control efforts seemed to be working well. We saw one small black bear about 400 yards up a hillside. Of course dozens of idiots were crowding each other trying to take photos. When I was 10 years old the roads were nearly impassable due to begging bears.

In the linked article there was mention of a guy who had his seven and eight year old boys stand in front of an elk to take a picture and the idiot reasoned that if it became threatening, they would run to their car.
    The one time we went to Yellowstone (in the sixties) I watched a kid get his face ripped open by a bear cub. A couple of kids were taunting a couple of cubs that were looking for handouts and one kid kept poking a cub and the cub finally turned around and swatted a paw at his face and opened up his cheek. Those kids should have been glad the mama wasn't around. It didn't look like a hard swat but I guess cubs have really sharp claws like a puppy or kitten.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Been to this park several times. Mating season is not a good time to be there. A large population of bulls. Normally, they're really docile.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

People that visit the Smoky Mountain NP, and Cades Cove do some stupid stuff when the bears show up. I'm surprised that there isn't a steady stream of ambulances in and out of there during 'tourist season'. If you have something to eat that a bear wants, best leave your pic-a-nic basket on the table and back off; they'll get it one way or the other. There have been a few people that learned the hard way not to leave snacks in the passenger compartment; that glass side window won't slow down a hungry bear. And people purposely feeding them just for a photo op is the problem. Bears that associate people with food can get pretty obnoxious.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

There is no fixing stupid.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Gives new meaning to "taking the bull by the horns"

At the refuge we maintained a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio of bull elk to cows....during the rut after the successful breeding bulls put their harems together, the remainder of the bulls...either losers in fights or big old bulls too old to care anymore would form bachelor groups and hang out by themselves....lots of testosterone in them..so they were always pissed off and aggressive......always had to keep an eye on them....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock21 View Post
    I do know a guy that got his butt kicked when he tried to rope a deer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I think that is my purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtrock21 View Post
    A two day old calf can give you a fit, and if it bawls, then you might be dealing with a pissed off mama cow that thinks you're hurting her baby. And a calf a month or two old can definitely put a hurting on you. Folks will tell you that cattle can't kick very high with their hind legs. I've had more than a few calves old enough for banding put me on the ground holding the family jewels, or dealing with a kneecap that got kneecapped by the 'little darling'. And a Santa Gertrudis steer just shy of 1,000 lbs. put me on the injured list when he nailed me in the hip with a hind hoof. Domesticated animals, my buttocks. They're cowhide covered assassins!

Quote Originally Posted by Buford View Post
    Nope.........but.....compression bandages and Betadine are, usually, a good start.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270

Last November a friend of mine was pig hunting in an area with free roaming cattle on a large property. He was setup in a ditch / draw near a feeder, when a cow ( not bull, not steer ) charged him. Apparently she was in the process of giving birth and was startled by his presence. He would have been trampled by 1000 lbs of heifer ( he's 72 years old ) if not for the unfortunate need to use his 30-06 to defend himself. It was not good for anyone involved, the land owner, the hunter or the cow.

Bottom line, wild or "domesticated" there are situations that can get you hurt.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    Last November a friend of mine was pig hunting in an area with free roaming cattle on a large property. He was setup in a ditch / draw near a feeder, when a cow ( not bull, not steer ) charged him. Apparently she was in the process of giving birth and was startled by his presence. He would have been trampled by 1000 lbs of heifer ( he's 72 years old ) if not for the unfortunate need to use his 30-06 to defend himself. It was not good for anyone involved, the land owner, the hunter or the cow.

Bottom line, wild or "domesticated" there are situations that can get you hurt.

D
    Surely someone got some veal out of the deal.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

I probably should keep this to myself, but I have to admit to doing something equally dumb.

One time during a trip to Estes Park, Co, I walked to within about 6 ft. of a 6x6 bull to take a picture. I got the picture and walked away unscathed. I think I even posted the picture here.

Looking back, it was not one of my smarter moves, and I was just lucky I didn't get hurt.

FWIW, I wasn't the only one doing this, and I did not see anyone get hurt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

People that visit the Smoky Mountain NP, and Cades Cove do some stupid stuff when the bears show up. I'm surprised that there isn't a steady stream of ambulances in and out of there during 'tourist season'. If you have something to eat that a bear wants, best leave your pic-a-nic basket on the table and back off; they'll get it one way or the other. There have been a few people that learned the hard way not to leave snacks in the passenger compartment; that glass side window won't slow down a hungry bear. And people purposely feeding them just for a photo op is the problem. Bears that associate people with food can get pretty obnoxious.
    Fish and Game and the NP Service have found a good solution to the problem bears created by these folks, they tranquilize them and dump them in a bear preserve near to where I live. The people who live in that area have come up with their own solution to having problem bears dumped literally in their back yards. It involves the use of the three "S" rule.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by KSU Firefighter View Post
    Fish and Game and the NP Service have found a good solution to the problem bears created by these folks, they tranquilize them and dump them in a bear preserve near to where I live. The people who live in that area have come up with their own solution to having problem bears dumped literally in their back yards. It involves the use of the three "S" rule.
    I like strawberry preserves... don't think I would like bear....

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by KSU Firefighter View Post
    That works for feral dogs and cats, too. Wild hogs are legal year round on private property, though! There are at least a couple of bears on the east side of Watts Bar Lake not far from me. The folks with lake lots complain about them knocking over their garbage cans. They're mostly folk from up North and don't know no better, though, leaving their garbage out all the time before pickup day.They have a real trash panda problem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Speaking of Yellowstone, back in 1981 we competed our first Montana deer hunt. On our drive back we went through Yellowstone for a couple of days. We camped at one of the camp grounds one night. In the middle of the night my buddy starts yelling for help. A buffalo decided to lay against his tent crushing the wall of his tent and pinning him inside. The entire camp ground came out with flashlights. It took some doing but we got the buffalo to stand up so he could get out! He wasn't hurt, but it could have been a lot worse! Now when were out and about and we see a buffalo, I usually ask if that's the one he slept with!