Thread: Just got my first political poll phone call

Just got my first political poll phone call

Hopefully my nonsensical and sometimes contradictory answers screwed up one or two datapoints of the survey.

It was interesting though- this was obviously a leftward leaning survey because when I said that I was undecided on the Atty. General of Texas (current one is a total DB named Ken Paxton), they kept going with questions that would lead off with a positive statement about his opponent and ask "Is that a convincing statement about So-And-So?", then lead to ask if you would lean toward Paxton or the opponent. That happened 2-3 times before I said 'It seems you are leading me toward the democratic candidate, but I cannot say which way I would vote without doing more research". At that point, she asked a couple demographic questions (and I am now a scottish-african-native american high school dropout with a masters degree), and ended the call.

Another interesting point - all questions were black and white. R or D. No 3rd party, none of the above, or undecided.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Re: Just got my first political poll phone call

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Hopefully my nonsensical and sometimes contradictory answers screwed up one or two datapoints of the survey.

It was interesting though- this was obviously a leftward leaning survey because when I said that I was undecided on the Atty. General of Texas (current one is a total DB named Ken Paxton), they kept going with questions that would lead off with a positive statement about his opponent and ask "Is that a convincing statement about So-And-So?", then lead to ask if you would lean toward Paxton or the opponent. That happened 2-3 times before I said 'It seems you are leading me toward the democratic candidate, but I cannot say which way I would vote without doing more research". At that point, she asked a couple demographic questions (and I am now a scottish-african-native american high school dropout with a masters degree), and ended the call.

Another interesting point - all questions were black and white. R or D. No 3rd party, none of the above, or undecided.
    So do you think you got marked as a "D"?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

You did very well!!! So let me make sure I got your name right Mr. Mgombo MacC˛mhain Red Cloud...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I think I'm on some kind of blacklist for those. I hardly get called anymore. Must be the answers I give. "I wouldn't wipe my behind with his/her suede tanned hide" appears not to be an acceptable answer, and they hang up on me.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

................................... (and I am now a scottish-african-native american high school dropout with a masters degree)
    I always had my suspicions, I think the fashion sense was the giveaway.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

No wonder the political polls are so screwed up in this country.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    No wonder the political polls are so screwed up in this country.
    Everything is screwed up in this country. Why would the polls be any different?

I hate the ones that start by the pollster telling you it will only take a few minutes, and then go on forever. I've ended more than a few by simply telling the pollster I was done answering questions and hung up.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

On July 31, 2008, I was polled.

I was asked if I intended to vote this November. After answering "yes", I was asked which candidate I was going to vote for, Obama or McCain (NOTE: at that time, neither one of them had yet been nominated).

I told the VERY young lady that I was going to vote for Bob Barr, the Libertarian. She said that she never heard of the Libertarians. I told her that her awareness is not a requirement for my vote.

She told me that my choice was between Obama and McCain. I told her that Obama and McCain are not the only names that will be on the ballot and that Bob Barr will be one of the other names on the Illinois ballot.

She told me to PRETEND that only Obama and McCain are the only candidates on the ballot. I said that I would write-in the Libertarian.

But then, considering her mentality, I suggested that she might want to vote for the Green Party. She said that never heard of the Green Party. So I says, "You've never heard of Ralph Nader?"

She says that she never heard of him.

I said, "You've never heard of the guy who cost Al Gore the state of Florida, and thereby the presidency, in 2000?"

"Never heard of him."

So I told her to fix her survey to reflect reality and call me back. She apologized for wasting my time.

Now you know the SCIENCE behind a specific SCIENTIFIC random sample taken during the last week in July of 2008 from some place in Virginia. What none of us know is if I was listed as a vote for Bob Barr, undecided, or a no pick-up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just after Desert Storm, Bush 41 was so unbeatable in the SCIENTIFIC polls that Saturday Night Live did a skit about the Democrats in a game show trying to win the right NOT to run against him. A few months later the unbeatable Bush 41 lost to a guy who got 43% of the vote.

In 1996, Democrats led Republicans led 43 percent to 39 percent in 25 SCIENTIFIC polls. In 1998, Democrats led Republicans 42 percent to 37 percent in 21 SCIENTIFIC polls. Both times, the Republicans ended up winning more popular votes and winning more seats in Congress than the Democrats did.

In the 2002 Senate race in MN, the SCIENTIFIC polls showed Mondale with a 10 point lead; he lost.

In September 2003, a couple of days before the Swedish referendum on the Euro, Gallup SCIENTIFICALLY predicted a 43% to 42% "no" vote. The vote was 56.1 per cent against and 41.8 per cent for; that is a 14 point spread in an election that was, SCIENTIFICALLY, too close to call.

In 2008, a SCIENTIFIC Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on the morning of Super Tuesday showed Obama leading Clinton in California 49% to 36% -- he lost 52% to 42%.

At the same SCIENTIFIC poll showed Romney over McCain 40% to 33% -- McCain won 42% to 34% -- almost the exact opposite result.

With a week to go, the SCIENTIFIC ABC-7/Daily Herald poll had Tony Peraica ahead of Todd Stroger, 51% to 42%. At the exact same time, the WGN-TV/Chicago Tribune's SCIENTIFIC poll showed Stroger leading Peraica, 48% to 33%.

On June 5, 2012, NPR reported ...

It's ALL THINGS CONSIDERED from NPR News

I'm Audie Cornish.

And I'm Robert Siegel.

The polls are now closed in Wisconsin where heavy turnout is reported in today's recall election, and it looks like it's going to be very close. CNN reports that the EXIT polls show a dead heat, 50-50, over whether to recall Republican Governor Scott Walker ... And once again, the EXIT polls, as reported by CNN, show an absolute dead heat ...

EXIT polls, by definition, the latest and most accurate predictor of an election notwithstanding, Walker won 53% to 46%. As in a 7 point spread is too close to call, SCIENTIFICALLY.

In 2014, with a week to go before the primary election, a Daily Caller poll showed Eric Cantor, the House Majority Leader (!), with 52 percent support and his rival, Dave Brat, with 40 percent support. Brat won 55.5% to 44.5%

In 2015, an October poll by Kent State University showed that 56% of Ohioians in favor of legalized pot; the referendum lost 64.1% to 35.9%.

And then there is Clinton over Trump.

With SCIENTIFIC polls like that, why bother holding elections?
    Last edited by Skolnick; 10-12-2017 at 07:11 PM.

I was polled today too
    Someone please play Jingle Bells

Speaking of polls, what are polled Herefords?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    They tooted their own horn and left.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjp View Post
    ..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.
    I'll never hear the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    ...But seriously Shush....

Quote Originally Posted by shush View Post
    They tooted their own horn and left.
    Since I've been paying attention the polls always lean left. Even among Republicans they lean toward the most liberal of the two. That raises my red flag of suspicion out the top of the flag poll as to whether these polls are biased. I know they are so I tend not to pay attention to them. People need to pay attention to this and never vote with the polls because you want to vote for the winner. Of course voting for what's perceived to be the winner for the sake of wanting to be on the winning side can fast put you on the losing side of life.

Edited: That would put me on the losing side too and I don't want to be there!
    Last edited by snake284; 10-12-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Ones that make their money one dollar at a time.

I've had pollsters call me and I typically give them the same treatment as telemarketers, which typically means a lot of cussing and request to do to ones self what technically isn't possible. One call I thought I'd participate, until about the 3rd question when I saw that it was skewed as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I think those are the Hereford cows that have been serviced by the bull. Speaking of which, I think the Internal Revenue Service does the same thing to taxpayers regarding their service.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain