Thread: New hunting video cam review: Tactacam 4.0 personal recorder

New hunting video cam review: Tactacam 4.0 personal recorder

Bottom line: I am thoroughly impressed and would absolutely recommend this recorder to film and review your hunts.

After many years using a ReplayXD 1080 personal recorder for my hunts, it was time to upgrade. The main reasons why were 1) I think ReplayXD may have gone under as I cannot get a call back for a replacement rear cover for the cam I have, and 2) the Tactacam 4.0 series has features like Wifi-cell phone connectivity (to confirm your video presentation before you film and review existing footage) and 5x zoom. The latter feature is huge considering that so many of my old videos looked extremely far away when they weren't due to lens distortion.

That said, the camera comes as either a "gun package" or "bow stabilizer package", so I chose the gun. I am not a fan of pure gun-angle footage, as it adds virtually no useable environmental footage outside of the actual shot, but it's what I have until the head mounts come back in stock. Setup with the supplied barrel/scope clamp is fast and easy, and it did not obstruct my front bead sight.

Once setup was complete, I took this puppy with me on a duck hunt today after work and took some test footage. Right away, it proved useful as me and my buddy debated over who hit a wood duck out of a 3-bird flock. While it was hard to see on the small cell phone screen, when viewed on a computer monitor you can clearly see that my shot was the one that dropped the bird in the native 5x zoom footage. Mine is the center one that hits the bird. Long story shot, he aimed for the high bird and missed behind it, but thought that he hit the bird that fell. Upon video review, my bragging rights are now officially secured and chest puffed out accordingly.

The thing is so damned detailed that I could go frame-by-frame in my video editing software on the home PC, see the wad exit my barrel and view the shot impact the bird (10 second mark) centered in my sights! That's a new level of awesome for these usually less-detailed personal cameras. YouTube's frame-by-frame isn't fine enough to see those exact frames on my video upload, but in full screen 1080p resolution you can see two distinct wads fly: one center screen and one high. No more wondering if the arrow you shot hit or miss the deer you targeted. Watch the shot footage from your phone via Wifi and know for sure before you go tracking through the woods.

Other great features
    - Auto brightness adjustment for dark conditions
    - Weather proof
    - It floats!

If you are in the market for a personal hunt recorder, definitely give Tacatacam 4.0 a look. It shoots great video and costs much less than a GoPro. I got mine on sale from Midwayusa.com for $241 shipped ($229 + shipping), and that sale is still as of this post:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/54...unt-flat-black
    Last edited by Six-Gun; 10-12-2017 at 05:09 AM.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Re: New hunting video cam review: Tactacam 4.0 personal recorder

Thank You!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Nice review. Looks like the video quality of that cam is really great.

Thanks! The quality has skyrocketed with this camera versus my older action cam. I actually found a frame in that footage where you can spot the shot payload in a tight ball on its way to the duck. No way you can spot that with my old one.

I have a GoPro 4 hero, and the wide field of view that is so great for skiing, etc... is really horrible for a gun cam. This one is really interesting.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I have a GoPro 4 hero, and the wide field of view that is so great for skiing, etc... is really horrible for a gun cam. This one is really interesting.
    Exactly. For action sports, wide field of view can be an asset. For hunting - where the subject is either singular or of limited size - a tight FOV is usually better. This sucker completely takes the guess work out of whether or not shot was good and almost completely removes doubt about who hit what. On sale, it’s hard to beat the price, too.

Thanks for posting this up Luis. I have been looking for a new 'gun cam' for quite a while but the biggest problem is nearly all of them will only give you a wide fov, which in most circumstances, leaves a lot to be desired.

Have put this on my list to buy when I visit next year.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    Thanks for posting this up Luis. I have been looking for a new 'gun cam' for quite a while but the biggest problem is nearly all of them will only give you a wide fov, which in most circumstances, leaves a lot to be desired.

Have put this on my list to buy when I visit next year.
    Let me know when the time is close. I'll keep an eye out for another sale. It may be beneficial to have it shipped to a stateside address and grab it when you get here. The box is fairly small and unpacks to nearly nothing.