Thread: Load development scope

Load development scope

Anyone ever use a different scope for working up loads than what you hunt with?

Yesterday I hit the range, before I left the house i tried to do a quick bore sight to save time. Noticed my new Zeiss was seriously messed up. I threw on the 6-18 Monarch UCC I had sitting around just to have SOMETHING on the rifle.

Holy crap! Man was it so much easier to really work on shooting with that vs the Pro Staff and Buckmaster. It got me thinking of using that scope on whatever gun, just to dial in loads @100, then swap out for the guns permanent field scope and re-zeroing. The UCC was actually a little tough to shoot at 200 with mirage and focus, I had to back off from 18 to about 16x. But man, at 100 I could see tiny details.

So, anyone else use this method?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Re: Load development scope

Sometimes, rarely on BG rifles, mostly on my PD rifles to check accuracy at 300 - 400yds.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

When working up a new load for an also new rifle, yes, I've done that a few times. It does make things easier in some ways. At higher magnification when mirage isn't a problem you can really see how your heartbeat jiggles the crosshairs.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

Mike, yes!! You really can see every little movement. I've never shot through that high of a magnification scope before. Really made me focus more
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

I have been using a 3-9x40mm Redfield Revolution as a "until I get a permanent scope" solution for years. That includes some load development. However, I'm seriously considering an inexpensive adjustable objective or side focus scope for precisely this sort of work since it's a much better option when you are trying to split hairs over one load over another.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Yes. Until I threw that scope on the garage floor and snapped it in half. The screw in the power ring had made its escape, and was stuck on the lowest power. Tried fixing it. Failed. Then I fixed it for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I prefer to use less magnification to hide the obvious effects of my poor marksmanship.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Yes. I've done it often.

Usually on a rifle that hat I plan to put a low powered scope on for hunting. Work up a load with a high powered scope. Then, switch to the low powered for hunting.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Mike, yes!! You really can see every little movement. I've never shot through that high of a magnification scope before. Really made me focus more
    Indeed it does make you focus more! Like shooting between heartbeats, and really concentrating on breathing.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.Mark Twain - Notebook, 1898
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society. --Mark Twain

I like when people say "I shake too much with a high powered scope!"
    No, you shake the same amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I like when people say "I shake too much with a high powered scope!"
    No, you shake the same amount.
    Try it with a variable that goes to 32X! It's like trying to shoot during a Richter 7 earthquake!

I used to, but I don’t now. I use the scope intended for the rifle 90% of the time. Mostly because I get a rifle and optic dialed in with hours upon hours of data collection and I don’t want to separate them after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Try it with a variable that goes to 32X! It's like trying to shoot during a Richter 7 earthquake!
    Yep. One of my Sightrons is 32x. If a fly farts 30 yards away, you are going to see the motion in the scope. It really makes you focus on breathing, heart rate, trigger pull, etc. Very enlightening.

Anyone ever use a different scope for working up loads than what you hunt with?

Yesterday I hit the range, before I left the house i tried to do a quick bore sight to save time. Noticed my new Zeiss was seriously messed up. I threw on the 6-18 Monarch UCC I had sitting around just to have SOMETHING on the rifle.

Holy crap! Man was it so much easier to really work on shooting with that vs the Pro Staff and Buckmaster. It got me thinking of using that scope on whatever gun, just to dial in loads @100, then swap out for the guns permanent field scope and re-zeroing. The UCC was actually a little tough to shoot at 200 with mirage and focus, I had to back off from 18 to about 16x. But man, at 100 I could see tiny details.

So, anyone else use this method?
    Nope, I'm doing good just to have a scope on most of my rifles. But I am looking at a Monarch to put on my 7x57.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I’m pulling the trigger on a Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20 pretty soon that will end up jumping between rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Try it with a fixed 32X! It's like trying to shoot during a Richter 7 earthquake!
    FIFY

I don't use it often, but if I have a question about a scope, or really want to wring out a rifle, I have a fixed 32x44 that I put on it.

Last time I used it was when I was TRYING to see if my 799's accuracy issues were gun or scope related (with the OEM 7.62x39 bbl)

Considering the same scope I was worried about delivers consistent 1-1.25" groups with the new 6.5 Grendel bbl I had fitted to that action, it wasn't a scope issue

FWIW, that HUGE honkin' 32x scope on a 223 length action looked HILARIOUSLY out of place. I took a pic of it, I'll have to see if I can find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Well, hunted with that scope yesterday.... it'll be doing load/ target duty from now on. Shaky would have been great, even at 14, (scope is actually 20x) it was like trying to shoot from a moving truck on a jeep trail

I have 2 Buckmasters 6-18x40s one on my Remington 700 ADL Synthetic .22-250 and one on my Stevens 200 .223 Remington, but I'm not playing musical scopes. I put them on there with Loc Tite and they don't move. Besides, for me load development isn't just about the load, it gives me an opportunity to shoot the rifle as I will hunt with it. If I want to check impact I'll get me a spotter. Actually, I do most of that at 100 yards and that's a nice little walk to target. So sometimes I'll run through 3-5 rounds and go check. If I'm shooting at 200 yards I just drive down in my car and check it out. There's a road that runs down the side of the range.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-15-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I have a 6-18x40 side focus Nikon Buckmark on my 20" heavy barrel AR. At 18x, I can see the bullet impact sometimes, at 300 yards, and that is very cool, and handy when sighting in from a good rest. At all other times, I keep it on 6x. If I had it to do over, I would probably put a lower power scope on that rifle. So, yes, I would agree that high magnification is good for bench rest shooting at longer ranges, but not very practical for most hunting rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by bisley View Post
    I have a 6-18x40 side focus Nikon Buckmark on my 20" heavy barrel AR. At 18x, I can see the bullet impact sometimes, at 300 yards, and that is very cool, and handy when sighting in from a good rest. At all other times, I keep it on 6x. If I had it to do over, I would probably put a lower power scope on that rifle. , yes, I would agree that high magnification is good for bench rest shooting at longer ranges, but not very practical for most hunting rifles.
    I also have essentially the same scope but lower power on my .250 Savage, a 4.5-14x40. That scope is a great hunter and the side focus really makes it nice.

Buckmaster's are great scopes for the money. However, my next build, the 7x57, will have a Monarch on it mainly because I really am curious to see if $100 really makes any difference in the Buckmaster and the Monarch.
    Last edited by snake284; 10-15-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I also have essentially the same scope but lower power on my .250 Savage, a 4.5-14x40. That scope is a great hunter and the side focus really makes it nice.

Buckmaster's are great scopes for the money. However, my next build, the 7x57, will have a Monarch on it mainly because I really am curious to see if $100 really makes any difference in the Buckmaster and the Monarch.
    The Buckmaster series seems to have shrunk considerably at Nikon. They only have 3 offerings in the Buckmaster II series and they are all less expensive than the Prostaff offerings. They have a new Line called Black, which has some nice scopes.

The Monarch line is still going strong and if this 7X57 is used for hunting, I would recommend something in the Monarch 5 line because these riflescopes have HD glass and yet are still quite affordable. HD glass would be a benefit in distinguishing the target of your hunt.

I keep a 4 x 16 on my rifles when sighting in for a specific load. Sometimes I replace it with something else and sometimes not. I tried more powerful scopes but I can't spend as much time on the bench as I want. My eyes can't handle it like they used to. Getting old sucks!
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    The Buckmaster series seems to have shrunk considerably at Nikon. They only have 3 offerings in the Buckmaster II series and they are all less expensive than the Prostaff offerings. They have a new Line called Black, which has some nice scopes.

The Monarch line is still going strong and if this 7X57 is used for hunting, I would recommend something in the Monarch 5 line because these riflescopes have HD glass and yet are still quite affordable. HD glass would be a benefit in distinguishing the target of your hunt.
    I have always been impressed with Monarch glass. The price vs quality is tough to beat now that Zeiss hiked up the $$$ on the conquest line. So far I'm not impressed with the Terra, mines going to have to be sent back. Miss my Conquest.

MHS, what is a Terra?

I like the Nikon stuff because I'm a long time Nikon camera aficionado and I see Nikon making use of its technology in their riflescope offerings.

However, my F-TR match rifle does not wear a Nikon scope, but I believe some of the glass is from Nikon.

MHS, what is a Terra?

I like the Nikon stuff because I'm a long time Nikon camera aficionado and I see Nikon making use of its technology in their riflescope offerings.

However, my F-TR match rifle does not wear a Nikon scope, but I believe some of the glass is from Nikon.
    It replaced the Conquest as the entry line. They run around $300. I found a Clarence sale for $230 so I snagged it. It's gotta go back to the factory though, something is wrong with it

Well, hunted with that scope yesterday.... it'll be doing load/ target duty from now on. Shaky would have been great, even at 14, (scope is actually 20x) it was like trying to shoot from a moving truck on a jeep trail
    Thing is, you're moving the same amount with a lower powered scope, but the lower power doesn't make it show up in such a glaringly obvious way. Using a high powered scope for hunting requires a solid rest, and everything that goes with it.

It replaced the Conquest as the entry line. They run around $300. I found a Clarence sale for $230 so I snagged it. It's gotta go back to the factory though, something is wrong with it
    Thank you.

They must be made of Unobtainium. The Zeiss website has no information about them and SWFA only has one model and it's on sale. A 4-12X42 and it's marked as discontinued.

Thank you.

They must be made of Unobtainium. The Zeiss website has no information about them and SWFA only has one model and it's on sale. A 4-12X42 and it's marked as discontinued.
    https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...es.html#models

I believe a new updated line is coming out soon, mine was a clearance item, too. I have the 3-9x42 Zplex

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...es.html#models

I believe a new updated line is coming out soon, mine was a clearance item, too. I have the 3-9x42 Zplex
    Thanks again.

I'm always interested in whatever is new in optics so I look forward to reading about the new line when it comes out.