Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your "batting order" for this fall's deer hunting?

Re: What's your "batting order" for this fall's deer hunting?

Even hotter than mine. I backed off .5 because I seated a little deeper. Still
    Got my face, and you saw the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Even hotter than mine. I backed off .5 because I seated a little deeper. Still
    Got my face, and you saw the results.
    If you seat long, the short action can actually feed it better. You can fit in some more powder, up the velocity, and keep pressure the same.

Granted, my bear... your deer... and Zee's pigs never had a chance. Any way it is loaded, it has been a decisive killer. The guns have held up their end of the bargain, and Hornady's various bullets have too. I would love to see what your "lite" load does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    If you seat long, the short action can actually feed it better. You can fit in some more powder, up the velocity, and keep pressure the same.

Granted, my bear... your deer... and Zee's pigs never had a chance. Any way it is loaded, it has been a decisive killer. The guns have held up their end of the bargain, and Hornady's various bullets have too. I would love to see what your "lite" load does.
    Well It's Tuesday night and I have not gone out to the lease yet. It's still in the 80s in the day and a full moon at night. That sucks for deer hunting. It's supposed to get cool tomorrow. I'm going to get the blind out there tomorrow afternoon and set it up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

The .338 Win mag should be ready to go... just check zero and do drops. 430 SJS should be dead nuts with the hotter, longer load than Chris has. 338 Fed should be dead nuts. .260 should be dead on for mama. 250 Savage-- I need to check that one for my daughter. I want to load some 10mm. I also need to figure out a loaner gun or 2--ideas? 7mm mag... 300 mag... 7.62x39... 44 mag... 35 Rem... 30/06... 460 S&W.... 45/70... . Then, what should I use as a distance backup? 6.5 Creedmoore or .338 RUM? 7mmSTW?

The plan is I have a bigass pop up blind and hunting a powerline out to my comfortable distance. In that blind, I have room to set up a heater and the coolest rifle rest I have ever used. If I do woods hunting or in the "shotgun" zone, it will be the .430 SJS. But I have had that .338 Win mag since I was 13 and it needs to get bloody-- I am using 210gr Deepcurls. So is the .338 FED.
    I didn't know she was going to shoot a .250 Savage. She could have shot mine, I had it at the shoot. I hunt with that dude, it's a proven deer and hog slayer. And it's nil in the recoil department even when shooting the 115 and 117 grain bullets I load for it. It's very efficient and mine is very accurate. For a woman, girl, kid, it's a great round.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-08-2017 at 06:35 AM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I didn't know she was going to shoot a .250 Savage. She could have shot mine, I had it at the shoot.
    She has her own... a limited edition Ruger with a Mannlicher stock. Sweet rifle!

I also need to figure out a loaner gun or 2--ideas? 7mm mag... 300 mag... 7.62x39... 44 mag... 35 Rem... 30/06... 460 S&W.... 45/70... . Then, what should I use as a distance backup? 6.5 Creedmoore or .338 RUM? 7mmSTW?

I'd say 6.5CM or 7STW for Distance loaners, depending on the recoil sensitivity of the person borrowing them, even the plain old 30-06 can work well too
    Last edited by knitepoet; 11-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

The 265 feed like butter, even seated normal.
    Light loads ain't on the menu this year.

She has her own... a limited edition Ruger with a Mannlicher stock. Sweet rifle!
    Oh yeah, I saw that rifle. Mine ain't that sweet. It's a little long and heavy. But Oh does it shoot! It sings the Combined Technologies 115 grain Ballistics Tips out there very rapidly and accurately. Barrel length can make big differences with the right cartridge.

I also need to figure out a loaner gun or 2--ideas? 7mm mag... 300 mag... 7.62x39... 44 mag... 35 Rem... 30/06... 460 S&W.... 45/70...
    30/30 bolt gun, 6x45? I think I am going to use the 6x45 as a loaner/backup. The Crapmore is getting the nod for distance backup.

Ok.... I need to load ammo for 10mm, 44 mag, 6x45, and .430SJS. Other than that, I am cool to go. I got 6x45, but it has 75gr Vmax bullets-- just some plinking loads I made up to burn through half a box of bullets I had sitting around, but those are not acceptable for deer. I may have some 44 mag (hunting loads-- I have enough for SD and plinking) if I can find them and I think I have at least a few .430 SJS. I have some 165gr factory 10mm, but want to try out the 180gr XTP load Zee has used. Other than that, I think I am cool to go. I found my 5 found AR mag, so the 6x45 is set to hunt.

I am getting excited now!

The Crapmore is will be using 140gr Amax, both .338's will be using 225gr Speer Deepcurls. 44mag gets 240gr XTP's. The 260 has 129gr SST's, and I can't remember what hunting bullets I loaded for the 250 Savage and what bullets I have for the 6x45.

The Crapmore is will be using 140gr Amax, both .338's will be using 225gr Speer Deepcurls. 44mag gets 240gr XTP's. The 260 has 129gr SST's, and I can't remember what hunting bullets I loaded for the 250 Savage and what bullets I have for the 6x45.
    I'm guessing the 85 grain sierra for the 6x45. Pretty that's the load the midget worked up for you..

I bought those bullets during the drought and had to get something else because the Sierras weren't available. After some more organizing in the cave, I should know exactly what I did pick up for hunting.

Found 10 rounds of 44 mag with the 240gr Hornady XTP, 10 rounds of 6x45 with 90gr bullets, 15 rounds of 430 SJS with the 265gr Hornady. A box of factory 10mm with 180gr XTP's (100fps slower than Zee's load)....
    Last edited by Jermanator; 11-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I'm guessing the 85 grain sierra for the 6x45. Pretty that's the load the midget worked up for you..
    85gr Sierra BTHP-Game King.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

[img]http://i.imgur.com/mAaQ0GS.jpg[/img]

Well, I no longer know how to post pics from my phone apparently. Something has chamber.
    Last edited by Zee; 11-10-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

I have 90gr Speer Hot Cores. Like I said, that was in the middle of the drought. I will have to grab some of those Sierras now that I am thinking about it.

Crap-- I just checked. That bullet is on backorder at Midway.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    1) Custom Rem799 in 6.5 Grendel loaded with 123gr Hornady SSTs
    3) AR- 50 Beowulf 335gr Rainier HP
    Wife
    Ruger 77 Compact 308 with either 125 NBT or 125 SCHP from midsouth
    A couple of corrections...
    1)Found nearly half a box of my 120 NBT load for the Grendel, so going to use it again.
    3)For the wulf, I also loaded some 350gr Hornady XTPs, last night. I'd tried them with a different powder in the past and they weren't as accurate as I wanted. If this new load is acceptable, I MIGHT use then instead of the 335gr Rainiers. However, I loaded 10 more of the proven 335gr as well.

Settled on the 125gr Solid copper hps for the wife.

8 more days until the season starts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator;[B
    and I can't remember what hunting bullets I loaded for the 250 Savage[/B]696496]The Crapmore is will be using 140gr Amax, both .338's will be using 225gr Speer Deepcurls. 44mag gets 240gr XTP's. The 260 has 129gr SST's, and what bullets I have for the 6x45.
    With my .25s the only thing I use 100 or less grain bullets for is fire forming the cases for my .257 AI. I figure if I want to hunt with 100 grain bullets I'll take the .243. A .257 anything, well not the Scooter or smallish cases, but the .250 Savage on up, they push 115 grain bullets real well. And in that diameter, 15 grains bigger makes a difference, plus the longer bullet has a higher BC and loses its velocity a good bit slower. AND, I'm here to tell you, you won't hardly know the difference in recoil. I wish more bullet makers would make more 110 and 115 grain bullets in .257 diameter. The .25s are often overlooked but any and all of them , .250 Savage thru .257 Weatherby, they make great whitetail-hog rifles.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-10-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Bating order for elk 4th rifle is chosen!

The custom stocked M70 270 w/150gr fed fusion. Put a Leupold VX2 3-9 on it.

Alternative if the elk are in deep timber and its not too wet
    Springfield 1903 w/ federal 180gr soft points, Weaver k4 4x38

Back up
    Win m70 25-06 Fed Fusion 120gr, Nikon prostaff 4-12x40. Changed out the scope from the 3-9 Buckmaster to the 4-12 today. Think I like that combo better. Gun needs a new stock, but as a backup it'll do for this year
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Bating order for elk 4th rifle is chosen!

The custom stocked M70 270 w/150gr fed fusion. Put a Leupold VX2 3-9 on it.

Alternative if the elk are in deep timber and its not too wet
    Springfield 1903 w/ federal 180gr soft points, Weaver k4 4x38

Back up
    Win m70 25-06 Fed Fusion 120gr, Nikon prostaff 4-12x40. Changed out the scope from the 3-9 Buckmaster to the 4-12 today. Think I like that combo better. Gun needs a new stock, but as a backup it'll do for this year
    That 4-12x40 Prostaff is one fine scope for the money. You might need to get a sun shade for it. Nikons let in so much light they actually can have a glare in bright sun light. I've got sun shades on all my higher power Nikons. I have a 4.5-14x40 that didn't come with a sun shade. It's on my .250 Savage. I usually just rob the sun shade off my .223 Stevens or my .22-250 Rem. when I take the .250 hunting. Otherwise the Nikon is very clear.

So my three rifles, one shot each at 100 yards with a fouled cold barrel. The photo got rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise so it is sideways. Anyway, "top" is 6.5 Crapmore, middle 430 SJS, "bottom" 338 Win mag. After this photo I shot the wife's .260 and put one each just to the upper left and right of the .430 SJS hole like Mickey Mouse ears. Then my daughter's 250 Savage was 1/2" high and 1/4" left. Nic did a decent group with the .338 Federal too.

The 44 mag? I need to recheck everything. That was all over the place and I ran out of ammo. The 6x45? For some reason, the charging handle is missing. I got another coming in soon.
    Last edited by Jermanator; 11-14-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I used a little heavier bullet in my 6mm, 100 grain SGKs. But inside a couple hundred yards it killed as reliably as my .270. I killed deer out to 400 yards with it, but only once, so I won't speculate about longer ranges. Most deer I killed with it were within 200 yards and most of that was inside 100. But it was about the same with my .270.

The last serious thing I shot with this rifle and load was an adult antelope doe at 444 yards. The NBT
    noticed the target enough to leave a half-dollar sized exit, and at a quarter-mile using "light /fast" bullets I'm kinda sold.

That's my long range Gus and load. Pdogs...jackrabbits, deer...even elk....

I know its terminal performance at various ranges, and I like it.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter