Thread: This is not hunting weather

This is not hunting weather

Going to be hard to control scent while I'm sweating in the blind:

weather.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Re: This is not hunting weather

Saturday and Sunday look perfect.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

We set an all time record high for the month of either October or November. I don't remember which day it was, but the temps were in the 80s. Today is much cooler. It's also cloudy and overcast.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

I hate deer hunting in warm weather so bad, I just don't do it.... don't enjoy anything about it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Yeah. Sucks.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by early View Post
    Saturday and Sunday look perfect.
    It's looking a little better here about next Tuesday. It's supposed to be in the lower 60s, which still isn't exactly ideal, but much better than the 80s like today.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

We got 6" of new snow last night, more to come, 28' and east wind
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    I hate deer hunting in warm weather so bad, I just don't do it.... don't enjoy anything about it...
    It's 81 degrees outside right now, there's probably 10 mosquitos per square inch. The Bugs, the snakes, the sweat! Screw that. That's why I'm sitting in front of my computer on opening day. Much more productive and it feels a lot better.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

It was 34 degrees when we launched the boat a little after daybreak this a.m....steelhead are in and the fishing has been great....we were on the river until just before noon...and in that time, it snowed,, then it rained and then it rained some more...we drifted down to the boat ramp and as the keep ground onto the gravel....the sun came out....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    We got 6" of new snow last night, more to come, 28' and east wind

Yep, my front view

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Season opener supposed to be in the high 50s. Too warm for my taste, but, beats 80. Been there done that.
    Of course that's one week away. They'll change their mind ten times between now and then
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Season opener supposed to be in the high 50s. Too warm for my taste, but, beats 80. Been there done that.
    Of course that's one week away. They'll change their mind ten times between now and then
    Damn Straight it does. Last season we had a lot of warmer days. We've already had some pretty cool weather for here in October when we had about 3-4 days in the 40s. Now this warm spell. 40 in October isn't unheard of here but it's not to be expected either. I really was expecting a cool fall a couple weeks back but now jack frost done left for more northerly parts.

Actually, I probably wouldn't have hunted this weekend anyway because my lease was in worse shape than I thought. I finally got back into where the best and biggest blind in my area is. The Hurricane ruined it. I wasn't even worried about it because it's off the ground and you can only see the top from the road. But upon closer inspection the bottom half is gone. It was made of press board and the hard driven rain in the storm undid the glue I guess, and the wind took big chunks of it away. So I've spent the weekend building a couple of smaller blinds. I've almost got one finished. Its supposed to be in the 50s by Wednesday so I'll try to get it out on the lease tomorrow after church. These aren't going to be big or fancy, just something to keep my big ass out of sight and out of mind of the deer.

One thing I don't like about hunting in warm weather is the snakes, especially in the Fall. Actually, snakes don't really love real hot weather anymore than most people even though they're cold blooded. But in the early Fall down here it's perfect for them. It's not cold enough to make them Hibernate and they are very active in the day while I'm hunting. However, as long as it's down in the mid 50s they don't move much. Some people I've heard on here play down the danger of snakes, but let me tell you, a bite from a Western Diamond Back is not to be taken lightly. On my lease I'm probably 50 minutes to an hour from the emergency room. Also, I know two guys that were bitten within the last two years. One, our Republican Party County Chairman, was bitten by a 5 foot rattler in his back yard when he went out to feed his dog one morning. He was lucky because his wife had him at the hospital within 20 minutes and he was treated and had few problems. But the other guy got bit in his garage. He never saw the snake. We went out to get in his car and the dog was barking and looking under the car. He thought that if he got in the car and move it he would see the source of the dog's interest. But the snake bit him as he was trying to get in the car. He said he never had pain like that. He said It was debilitating. He went ahead and went back in the house and called 911. The snake escaped during this time and somehow his dog evaded the snake's bite. Both these guys said the pain was excruciating and like Larry said, it was debilitating. And Larry, the guy that got bit in his garage, said if you were out somewhere where you had to open gates to drive through he isn't sure you could manage. One bad thing about my lease is there's areas that you don't have phone service. So if you got bit and especially if you were alone, you would have yourself a situation. Getting snake bit around here isn't unheard of and it's not to be taken lightly. So I do avoid going out there in warmer weather. I've stepped on top of rather large snakes in 40 degree weather and the snake was so sluggish he couldn't have bitten me if he wanted. But raise that temperature up where it is now and they will be very reactive.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-05-2017 at 08:07 AM.

The last deer I shot was early in the morning, and it was already 75 degrees plus. It was a tough retrieval in the river bottom, and by the time I got him loaded on my Mule and got back to my pickup and trailer, it was pushing 85 degrees. So, I hung him up right there and skinned and quartered him so I could get him on ice. I had a big ice chest full, and he fit into it easily. The meat was still very good. Most folks would not have given it a second thought, but I was worried about it.

Anyway, I didn't bother with opening day, on account of the temperature. I may miss the rut, but I don't want a freezer full of meat that hasn't been properly cared for. Years ago, I didn't think it mattered that much. But since I've started caring for the meat better, I haven't had any gamey meat.

Yeah, that`s beastly

It’s only going to be slightly cooler this weekend. But I’m still going, damnit
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov