Thread: Uninvited Hunters

Uninvited Hunters

1st thing opening morning, the parade of predators came through.
    wolf3.jpg
    wolf2.jpg
    wolf1.jpg
    The above pics were taken by nephew and BIL from their stands, closest one was 40 yds, four wolves total.
    wolf4.jpg
    Paw print next to an adult male hand.
    cougar2.jpg
    We assume this is a cougar.

Also came across some wolverine tracks.

Yet to see a deer, lots of sign though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Re: Uninvited Hunters

Looks like a good time.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

After living in MT I hate a wolf as much as a coyote!!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

We have coyote, I've seen them only twice, but, the base warden traps some every year.
    Go Cowboys go

Competition.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Hopefully wolf tags will be available again by next year, seems to be moving in that direction.

All of those pictures were taken less than a mile from our hunting shack.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Cool, Scott.

My only question is are you referring to you or them as the uninvited hunters?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

In the past 30 - 40 years we have focused on re-introducing species into their "native" wild habitats, like elk in eastern Kentucky, and wolves in Yellowstone, increasing bear and cougar populations in Florida, and we even re-introduced the crocodile in Florida 30 years ago. "Oddly enough", 150 years ago we culled predators because they were a danger to our livestock and children ( yes sarcasm inserted here.) With current predator management programs, I see a significant cull coming in almost all areas in the next 10 years. In Florida bears are becoming prevalent and cougars are moving north from the Everglades, successfully. We are seeing crocs in areas where they should not be. The wolves are only surviving the way they know, but just like cougars here in Florida, they are successful when game is abundant. While they are a magnificent animal, they need to stay in designated areas...

Great hunting pics! Looks like fun to me. I can sit in a stand and watch wildlife for hours. Some of my favorite memories are of a great owl swooping into my tree stand 20 feet from me, and a herd of deer walking under my stand while pig hunting. I even enjoy watching the raccoons eat from the feeder at times.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    Cool, Scott.

My only question is are you referring to you or them as the uninvited hunters?
    They are walking on the trails I mow and don't help pay for the gas:)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    In the past 30 - 40 years we have focused on re-introducing species into their "native" wild habitats, like elk in eastern Kentucky, and wolves in Yellowstone, increasing bear and cougar populations in Florida, and we even re-introduced the crocodile in Florida 30 years ago. "Oddly enough", 150 years ago we culled predators because they were a danger to our livestock and children ( yes sarcasm inserted here.) With current predator management programs, I see a significant cull coming in almost all areas in the next 10 years. In Florida bears are becoming prevalent and cougars are moving north from the Everglades, successfully. We are seeing crocs in areas where they should not be. The wolves are only surviving the way they know, but just like cougars here in Florida, they are successful when game is abundant. While they are a magnificent animal, they need to stay in designated areas...

Great hunting pics! Looks like fun to me. I can sit in a stand and watch wildlife for hours. Some of my favorite memories are of a great owl swooping into my tree stand 20 feet from me, and a herd of deer walking under my stand while pig hunting. I even enjoy watching the raccoons eat from the feeder at times.

D
    Watching the parade of critters is definitely part of the hunt, the wolves are pounding the crap out of our moose and deer though.

I always visit my best friend when I'm up in Wisconsin. He spends April-December near Ashland. Wolves are a BIG problem up there. But, they being in a lot of Fiblander tourist and their I Wolves t shirts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I always visit my best friend when I'm up in Wisconsin. He spends April-December near Ashland. Wolves are a BIG problem up there. But, they being in a lot of Fiblander tourist and their I Wolves t shirts!!
    Those wolf t-shirts will turn you into a chick magnet.

I'll let him know that! He may/not change his opinion of wolves and FIBs!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Watching the parade of critters is definitely part of the hunt, the wolves are pounding the crap out of our moose and deer though.
    Yep, the wolves have hammered the elk herds in Idaho. The wolves are so thick here I can buy 5 tags. The season is 6 months long on public land and there's no season on private property. Trappers can trap 10 wolves per year.

We are not significantly reducing the population.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Just saw five wolves in the clear cut

Maybe it's time to practice the three Ss.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    Maybe it's time to practice the three Ss.
    We have this irrational fear that the wolves have been chipped and "they" will know if they stop moveing;)

We have this irrational fear that the wolves have been chipped and "they" will know if they stop moveing;)
    A friend has that concern, too, and is always aware of his location relative to any stretch of moving water where he hunts. That water can make the tracking of a chip a little difficult.

Or so I've heard.

Hey there, about time you stopped by,

Hey there, about time you stopped by,
    Hunting season(s) wake me up a little bit. Plus, I learn a lot more when I'm reading than when I'm posting.