Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The joys of home ownership

The joys of home ownership

I bought my first home, actually a town house, in 1978. Since then, I've owned and lived in a number of houses, ranging from 100+ years old to brand, spanking new. I thought I had pretty much seen it all.

Enter the house we just bought and moved into. We bought the house this June, and are the first owners. It's still under the builder's warranty. He gets mad when you ask him to do something, but eventually comes around and does the right thing. But, I digress.

I now know about door bell ringer diodes and studor vents. Prior to moving into this house, I had no idea they existed.

We installed a new door bell chime but it would only ring for as long as you held down the door bell button. According to the instructions that came with the chime, this was because the door bell button didn't have a diode wired in. So, off to Home Depot and Lowe's we went, looking for a diode. They sell all sorts of door bell chimes and buttons, but nary a diode. Heck, all it is is a little piece of wire with some sort of transformer in the middle. We found them online for about a buck a piece. They come in packets of 5, and shipping costs more than the diodes.

When they arrived, it took about 10 minutes to put one on the button, and now the chimes work like they're supposed to. One push of the button and the whole melody plays. I like that. And, even more importantly, my wife likes it.

Next, I've learned about studor vents. Our kitchen has began emitting a rather foul odor. It's not coming from the sink or garbage disposal, but from underneath the sink. After going round and round with the builder, he finally checked with the guy who put in the septic tank, who was emphatic that it wasn't a problem with it. Then, he checked with the plumber, who knew immediately what it was. The studor vent was stuck and needs to be replaced.

If you don't know what a studor vent is, google it. That's what I did just to figure out what it looked like.

The studor vent allows fresh air to enter the drain pipes, but prevents odors from the pipes from being released into the house. Ours wasn't working, and needs to be replaced. It was allowing fresh air in, but not preventing foul air (and odors) from the drain pipes from being released into the house. I think of it as a back flow preventer for air.

A plumber is here now, but somehow managed to forget to bring a new vent. He has capped off the pipe where the vent goes, but it's only a temporary fix. He has assured me that he will have someone out here tomorrow with a new vent and that they will install it then. I guess if push comes to shove, I can put a new one on, but I'd rather a plumber do it. The vent pipe is difficult to get to, and will have to be cut to install a new vent.

That's it for now.

I think.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Re: The joys of home ownership

I know what you mean.

12 weeks ago the painters turned up to paint the outside of the homestead.. Its a brick house with wooden joinery. Quote included painting the iron roof. Dad organised the contract and neglected to tell the painters that the old paint 2 layers down was lead based. While I was away dad opened the windows to allow them to start preparation work. Come home to find they were using power sanders to get through the multi layers of paint and had started on the windward side............Whole house was covered inside with a fine layer of dust. Bought some lead testing kits and it tested positive for extremely high levels of lead.

Got my spray gear out and decontaminated and sealed enough rooms to use .............and told the contractor about the lead problem. He never ensured the workers wore masks or sealed off any areas..................and with the weather here at the moment it was one of those 'work 2 days, too wet to paint for 3 days ' jobs.

Finally got rid of them early last week and spent 5 days decontaminating the place.

Got a Drs appointment early next week to monitor my lead levels. Owning an old house comes with a multitude of problems.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

I've decided that the best way to do home ownership is to build a brand new house. When things start need repairing, sell that house, then build a new one. Yeah, you move a lot, but you wouldn't have to put up with repairs.

I didn't know what they were called, but studor vents seem to be all the rage nowadays. I'd rather have the darn thing vented to the roof, but I guess they're OK.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

When we were in the market for a house 2 years ago, I told my wife I wasn't interested in anything built before 1955 or later than 1975, and mid60's would be my preference. A 1963 built "model home" for the then new subdivision fit the bill perfectly.

It helps that we bought it from the original owners son. It's been well maintained and, knock on wood , no surprises yet.

For a lot of reasons, I feel that 2 decade timeframe was the golden age for craftsmanship and quality of building materials.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

The vent has to be right, but a big metal knocker don't need no diodes.

Just sayin'.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

We will be moving into our new home in a few more weeks. We could have already been in, but the roof leaks in the master bedroom and there is other minor issues with siding and windows. So far our contractor has made good on fixing the issues, but for a new house...... it shouldn't be raining inside. I am wishing now that we bought a pre existing home.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"

We bought a 3 year old house from a single woman who was only a part time resident of our development and the House was built by a very reputable builder. All kinks have been worked out and everything is still new. Win-win
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    When we were in the market for a house 2 years ago, I told my wife I wasn't interested in anything built before 1955 or later than 1975, and mid60's would be my preference. A 1963 built "model home" for the then new subdivision fit the bill perfectly.

It helps that we bought it from the original owners son. It's been well maintained and, knock on wood , no surprises yet.

For a lot of reasons, I feel that 2 decade timeframe was the golden age for craftsmanship and quality of building materials.

Mike
    Those are the ones I look for-- late plaster/early drywall. Stuff is standardized enough where you don't spend forever retrofitting and fire-blocking non-standard framing, but before the whole modular crap came in with essentially cardboard doors, cardboard trim, MDF, OSB, and crappy nailing with pneumatic guns. Of course I knocked over the house I currently live in, and rebuilt off the foundation. The one I bought for a winter project is getting completely gutted and half way re-framed.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGgal View Post
    We will be moving into our new home in a few more weeks. We could have already been in, but the roof leaks in the master bedroom and there is other minor issues with siding and windows. So far our contractor has made good on fixing the issues, but for a new house...... it shouldn't be raining inside. I am wishing now that we bought a pre existing home.
    I would not move into a newly built house that already leaks.......walk away.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by SIGgal View Post
    Walk away......fast.

I know that's discouraging, but...trust me on this.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

My current 70's built home was remodeled after 1992 ( hurricane Andrew ) and had a new metal roof installed three years ago. I have replaced three roofs in 30 years ( two homes, one pre Andrew and one post Andrew ) and I can tell you, it's not the place to save money. No leaks and solar efficiency / heat reflection are wonderful.

D
    Last edited by BigDanS; 11-10-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    Walk away......fast.

I know that's discouraging, but...trust me on this.

Mike
    Its OK, she'll be following her father to Tenn soon enough.

First house is now 200 years old, but our "new" house is a mere 157...and to think, I am kin to a development and building family...
    Support your local Scouts!

With years of being a home owner, I've learned enough about plumbing, carpentry, and electricity to know when to call "the guy" and let them do the bleeding, sweating, and crying for me! I'll still do the cursing!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    With years of being a home owner, I've learned enough about plumbing, carpentry, and electricity to know when to call "the guy" and let them do the bleeding, sweating, and crying for me! I'll still do the cursing!

In my younger days, when money was much tighter than it is now, I tried to do a lot of that sort of stuff myself. I even did some of my own auto repair and maintenance. Now, I don't even mow my grass.

I will take care of some things myself, but I have learned, for the most part, when to call a professional. BTW, the plumber just left after installing a new studor vent.
    Jerry

Another vote for running away from the house. There are very few if any permanent roof leak repairs. If it leaks, something major was done wrong and that area would need to be redone from scratch. Pumping sealant into nooks and crannies will stop a leak for a year or two but it will leak again, I assure you. Also, if you've had a very big punchlist, there's probably lots of things that you didn't find yet and once you close and move in, the builder probably won't be as accommodating as he is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

I have found over the years building myself ( with help ) is the best way. I do all the buying & get the upgrades that make sense to me. Patching things only is a temp way. As soon as time & money permits I will do a replace. I plan to build 1 last home for me. I have it all designed so all I need now is the money. When I built the one I am in I downsized to save money next one I will have the money first & get my large rooms & 10' ceilings. 50x100 ranch house is what it will be .I have a 30x30 garage there now but the house will have a 2 car garage too. The 60x100 shed will help a lot too !
    Woops got to rambling there !

I just call a professional to fix stuff.

...wait... I am that guy. Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    I have found over the years building myself ( with help ) is the best way. I do all the buying & get the upgrades that make sense to me. Patching things only is a temp way. As soon as time & money permits I will do a replace. I plan to build 1 last home for me. I have it all designed so all I need now is the money. When I built the one I am in I downsized to save money next one I will have the money first & get my large rooms & 10' ceilings. 50x100 ranch house is what it will be .I have a 30x30 garage there now but the house will have a 2 car garage too. The 60x100 shed will help a lot too !
    Woops got to rambling there !
    You want a 5,000 square foot house for one person? You must plan on having some hellacious parties.

FWIW, it's the money part that always gets in my way.
    Jerry

I have tried calling the pros & they never show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    I just call a professional to fix stuff.

...wait... I am that guy. Crap!
    Getting ANYONE around here to fix anything is an exercise in futility unles you “know a guy”. There is so much new construction going on that any monkey that can swing a hammer oe carry shingles is busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger. New homes are bringing $175-$200 a square foot...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I had wood on the ground & 6 different contractors didn't show up. My biggest problem was getting the trusses up alone 13' in the air. Solved that puppy ...........I bought a 42' boom bucket truck. Most of my friends thought I was crazy to buy one but now want trees cut ! I don't do that kind of work every day but it is a big toy. Last summer some fascia blew off ( at the peak ) I hoped in the bucket & in 15 min. put a done stamp on it.smokey.jpg

I had wood on the ground & 6 different contractors didn't show up. My biggest problem was getting the trusses up alone 13' in the air. Solved that puppy ...........I bought a 42' boom bucket truck. Most of my friends thought I was crazy to buy one but now want trees cut ! I don't do that kind of work every day but it is a big toy. Last summer some fascia blew off ( at the peak ) I hoped in the bucket & in 15 min. put a done stamp on it.smokey.jpg
    Amazing how reasonably priced those are used if you shop around. Actually it's REALLY amazing what you can buy heavy construction equipment for if you do a little shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Amazing how reasonably priced those are used if you shop around. Actually it's REALLY amazing what you can buy heavy construction equipment for if you do a little shopping.
    Like an RD-6 Cat for $2,500. Only needs a little work. Ran when parked.

Yes it is I only put out 5k for smokey ( the truck )
    Some TLC & time it works well. Kind of spooky learning on it with a wrong move could really leave a mark on ya.
    Now all the controls work so I need to do a bit of a face lift on the old girl. She will earn her keep when I get started on the 60x100 shed. 17' side walls will be a lot easier in a bucket. ( getting to old for ladders ) On my other building I fell off ladders 6 times , learned right after the first fall ( throw the hammer away ) landing on a hammer after a 20' fall makes the work day short.

I've had several friends buy used older bulldozers and excavators to do some work on their properties and then sell them when they were done. It's cheaper than renting or hiring someone and in most cases they got their money back when they sold them.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

My problem come in .............I use them then tend to keep them just in case I need it again.

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    Like an RD-6 Cat for $2,500. Only needs a little work. Ran when parked.
    A little oil, a rattle can and were are good to go!!!

My problem come in .............I use them then tend to keep them just in case I need it again.
    I would love to see the look in my neighbor's face if I parked that baby on my driveway