Thread: First ever hog seen on my hunting property.

First ever hog seen on my hunting property.

Went and swapped out the memory cards in my game cams today.

I can view the pictures on my phone, but can't watch the time lapses that they shoot the first and last 3 hours of daylight.

I knew hogs were spotted ~5 miles away last year, but until today had never seen any sign on the family's property. Only the one, and in the last 5 days that's the only one to show up on either cam. So we're not overrun with them... YET. It's only a matter of time though

IMG_0008.jpg

So even on days I decide to hunt with my single shot pistol (XP-100), I'll probably be packing either my 50 Beowulf or 5.56 AR for hogs (depending on which field I'm hunting)

Where that cam is located, in relation to the shooting house (aka Box blind), that hog is an ~140-145 yard shot, where it's standing in the pic.

That's on the outer limit of what I am comfortable with, with the 'wulf. So when hunting that stand, I'll have the 5.56 with 55gr Golddots as the back-up to the XP. The other field has a 92 yard MAX shot, and the 'wulf will go with me then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Re: First ever hog seen on my hunting property.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Went and swapped out the memory cards in my game cams today.

I can view the pictures on my phone, but can't watch the time lapses that they shoot the first and last 3 hours of daylight.

I knew hogs were spotted ~5 miles away last year, but until today had never seen any sign on the family's property. Only the one, and in the last 5 days that's the only one to show up on either cam. So we're not overrun with them... YET. It's only a matter of time though

IMG_0008.jpg

So even on days I decide to hunt with my single shot pistol (XP-100), I'll probably be packing either my 50 Beowulf or 5.56 AR for hogs (depending on which field I'm hunting)

Where that cam is located, in relation to the shooting house (aka Box blind), that hog is an ~140-145 yard shot, where it's standing in the pic.

That's on the outer limit of what I am comfortable with, with the 'wulf. So when hunting that stand, I'll have the 5.56 with 55gr Golddots as the back-up to the XP. The other field has a 92 yard MAX shot, and the 'wulf will go with me then.
    I would take the WULF as back up no matter the range. If you run across a pissed off Hog that Wulf seems mighty comforting. When I saw the rounds for that thing in your truck one day I thought that will kill anything walking.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

That looks like a boar. So, if you don’t have sows around, he is just passing through. They only have 3 things on their mind:

Sex
    Food
    More Sex
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    That looks like a boar. So, if you don’t have sows around, he is just passing through.
    I concur on it being a boar. Once I pulled the pic up on my computer screen, it's pretty obvious it is.

Quite possibly just passing through.

However, since boars and sows have been seen within 5 miles, if there aren't any sows around "now" it's just a matter of time.

And you left out one "sub" activity.... fighting for sex
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Unless you have a constant source of food nearby like crops, they'll have no reason to stick around. A handful of corn under a couple of feeders isn't enough to keep very many hogs interested for very long.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Unless you have a constant source of food nearby like crops, they'll have no reason to stick around. A handful of corn under a couple of feeders isn't enough to keep very many hogs interested for very long.
    That one seemed quite fond of the purple top turnips in my greenfield

One hog is not a sounder, but then again, that's a good sized one and it came from somewhere nearby. You might start to PLAN for a trap, not make one yet.

Looks like pork will be on your menu soon.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Make an example of him to the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1965Jeff View Post
    Make an example of him to the others

That is the plan, if wife or I get the chance