Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howa Mini Action

Howa Mini Action

Thinking of getting this for my next purchase. Anyone have any experience with the Howa Mini action? It will be used as a range gun.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...rt_Abandonment

Re: Howa Mini Action

I got a Howa in .223. It is a very nice (and accurate) factory gun. I have no opinion on the scope that comes with that-- I have never heard of Diamond scopes, but I know you won't be disappointed in the rifle. I would be curious about the barrel twist though-- I think mine is 1:12. I would rather have a 1:9 or 1:8.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    I would be curious about the barrel twist though-- I think mine is 1:12. I would rather have a 1:9 or 1:8.
    According to the spec sheet on there web site, all Mini Action .223's are 1:9.

Like the idea, not a huge fan of the big DBM sticking out the bottom though.

Am normally a fan of Howas, but that mag is probably right at the balance point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I do not understand why manufacturers don't make their .223 / 5.56 / etc. rifles automatically with an AR15 compatible magazine.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    I do not understand why manufacturers don't make their .223 / 5.56 / etc. rifles automatically with an AR15 compatible magazine.

D
    My .223 Mossberg MVP uses AR mags and my .308 MVP uses M-14 mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

D
    With the exception of tactical users, I wonder if there is much demand for that. As a hunter, I don’t want anything sticking out below the stock in my bolt action rifles. Furthermore, I don’t see why I would need more than 5 rounds in my hunting rifle. Thus, I would not want an AR15 style mag in my bolt action rifle.

Note: I get that others might use thier rifles differently than I do. If there is enough demand, companies should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    With the exception of tactical users, I wonder if there is much demand for that. As a hunter, I don’t want anything sticking out below the stock in my bolt action rifles. Furthermore, I don’t see why I would need more than 5 rounds in my hunting rifle. Thus, I would not want an AR15 style mag in my bolt action rifle.

Note: I get that others might use thier rifles differently than I do. If there is enough demand, companies should do it.
    5, 10, 20, or 30 rounds, it would just be nice i they were standardized.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

5, 10, 20, or 30 rounds, it would just be nice i they were standardized.

D
    One major problem I can see is that AR-15 5-10 round magazines are the same size. Mine are anyway, there is just no way to make an AR magazine seat flush.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Quote Originally Posted by Farm Boy Deuce View Post
    One major problem I can see is that AR-15 5-10 round magazines are the same size. Mine are anyway, there is just no way to make an AR magazine seat flush.
    Exactly. I am not aware of any AR mags that will seat flush on any rifle.

If I want a detachable mag on a bolt gun, I WANT an ar pattern mag. Why? Cheap. Available. Not $40 for a screaming pile of gun specific magazine e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Exactly. I am not aware of any AR mags that will seat flush on any rifle.
    I think the 10 rounder that came with my MVP patrol was pretty darn close to flush.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    If I want a detachable mag on a bolt gun, I WANT an ar pattern mag. Why? Cheap. Available. Not $40 for a screaming pile of gun specific magazine e.
    Ruger American much?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Ruger American much?
    Perfect example. $32.99 for a screaming pile of crap.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...n-4-round-blue

I wish they would have just made that gun with a blind mag and lowered the price. It's a fantastic rifle, but the magazine is garbage.
    As to the AR mags being too long, I doubt it would be too hard to chop the bottom end off of a metal ar mag...

Manufacturers are making bolt action rifles with detachable magazines because that's what people wanted. There's plenty of bolt action rifles that are flush at the bottom and the purpose of the detachable mag is usually more capacity so I would think a small capacity detachable magazine doesn't serve much purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    Manufacturers are making bolt action rifles with detachable magazines because that's what people wanted. There's plenty of bolt action rifles that are flush at the bottom and the purpose of the detachable mag is usually more capacity so I would think a small capacity detachable magazine doesn't serve much purpose.
    I may be the odd guy, but when hunting with a bolt gun, no matter how many the gun will hold, i load 3 rounds. Detachable magazine makes unloading much easier. At the range I load one at a time. .22 rifles are the exception.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    I may be the odd guy, but when hunting with a bolt gun, no matter how many the gun will hold, i load 3 rounds. Detachable magazine makes unloading much easier. At the range I load one at a time. .22 rifles are the exception.
    They make it easier to unload /load the rifle when going up/down a tree stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    My Tikka 243 and 7mm08 have 3 round mags...........The Super Varmint came with a 5 rd mag which is interchangeable. I normally carry one mag in the rifle and a spare mag loaded with 3.

There have been times when culling goats that I wished they made a 30rd mag for those rifles though.

My Howa 204 is a tack driver. If I didnt like Tikka's so much I would have a lot more Howa's............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Quote Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
    My Tikka 243 and 7mm08 have 3 round mags...........The Super Varmint came with a 5 rd mag which is interchangeable. I normally carry one mag in the rifle and a spare mag loaded with 3.

There have been times when culling goats that I wished they made a 30rd mag for those rifles though.

My Howa 204 is a tack driver. If I didnt like Tikka's so much I would have a lot more Howa's............
    Tikka needs to come out with a chambering wanted/needed by me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

They make it easier to unload /load the rifle when going up/down a tree stand.
    How? You have to unchamber the round on either gun. Blind mag, throw the round back in, place thumb over said round close the bolt. There's actually more steps to unload when climbing a tree.
    Now emptying completely is different.
    I prefer blind mags, hands down.

Howa mini wouldn't have worked with an AR mag. It's also too small for an internal. Its a very small action, like the CZ527.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Like the idea, not a huge fan of the big DBM sticking out the bottom though.

Am normally a fan of Howas, but that mag is probably right at the balance point.
    I don't like it either.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

How? You have to unchamber the round on either gun. Blind mag, throw the round back in, place thumb over said round close the bolt. There's actually more steps to unload when climbing a tree.
    Easy. Minimizes fussing with loose rounds.

I leave the mag in my pocket until I successfully climb the tree. Once I am safely in the tree, I install the mag. When I am ready to climb down, I take the mag out and clear the chamber.

Tikka needs to come out with a chambering wanted/needed by me.
    But they do Zee
    They make just that.
    http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-battue
    The best part is they make it in 9.3x62, of course you could go buy the Sako or Sauer equivalent, or you could just save some cash and buy two spare magazines
    With the right optic your ultimate mob pig gun in cover or at night, or whatever dangerous game you so desire.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have the one Yugo that"s sportered (bolt bent, Timney Trigger, after market safety) that still has a blind mag. In a true Mauser its as safe to unload as any with a hinged floor plate. Of course, a Mauser feeds out of the magazine only and you don't have to lock the bolt down to hook the extractor. The rim of the cartridge slips under the extractor. So all you need do is go back and forth wth the bolt and it will empty the mag. without ever closing the bolt on a live round.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by ojr View Post
    But they do Zee
    They make just that.
    http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-battue
    The best part is they make it in 9.3x62, of course you could go buy the Sako or Sauer equivalent, or you could just save some cash and buy two spare magazines
    With the right optic your ultimate mob pig gun in cover or at night, or whatever dangerous game you so desire.
    That rear sight is hideous.

That rear sight is hideous.
    It has a flying buttress!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    It has a flying buttress!
    Ski jump?

Ha!

No.

In regards to DBM.........

I’ve grown to the point, I usually either run my guns as a single shot with a single shot follower because I seat my bullets too long to function in an internal magazine.......

Or

If my bullets do fit in a magazine..........I want a DBM.

Now, not all my guns are this way. But as of the last few years, the ones that I grab/shoot/use/hunt with most as one of the two above configurations. Typically.