Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Guns ......New Guns

Old Guns ......New Guns

I tend to shoot the new guns & just set back the old ones.
    I really admire the craftsmanship of some of the older ones.
    With luck I hope to set up 3 Remington 700 s ( All new )
    Thinking of one .22-250 bench ,one 270 plinker one the third no idea ....yet.
    The old
    Working on Winchester 73 and 2- 97 take downs. ( 1904 & 1930 )
    It will take me time to get these done but it's better than shoveling snow !
    Any one else interested in this kind of projects ?

Ron

Re: Old Guns ......New Guns

I'm not very interested in the new.....been all oldies for me for quite a while but I get them to use them.

Everything I shoot dates from 1886 to about 1940! Don't buy to many new guns.

Old guns are nostalgic like old cars. They take up less space, and cost less.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Old Ron:
    Welcome aboard
    Go Cowboys go

I prefer guns made out of metal. I have several polymers, but plastic on a gun is a detractor to me. My favorite rifles are all old milsurps. My favorite hand guns are revolvers.

Although I have several newer poly framed pistols, my first, second and third generation S&W's are what works best for me. Dependable and well designed, they have never let me down and all run like locomotives.

An old 459 I picked up was a well used cop gun. First time out, I fired several boxes of mixed reloads, just to see if it would balk. Not a single hiccup. Then when I took it to the shop to clean, I noticed that the ejector was broken off. I always photo document the field strip procedures of new to me guns, and when I reviewed earlier pics, I saw that the ejector was actually busted when I bought it. This reliability prompted me to purchase two more 469 mini's.

My favorite milsurps are my old Swiss 96/11 & 1889. Beautifully crafted and cutting technology for their era, both always hit their mark.

I admire well made wood and metal guns. Plastic belongs back in the kitchen.

I'm an equal opportunity gun nut. I love shooting my 100 year old S&W 1917 as much as I love shooting my newest AR
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I tend to like old guns, funky guns, unusual guns, weird guns, and especially mil-surp guns from the WW II period. With that said, I have several modern guns including a CZ-75 (that I *REALLY* like! ), and a recently acquired Ruger LC9s as a carry piece. I'm mostly a pistol guy, only have 2 long guns at the moment - although I'm really wanting a K98 and an M1. And maybe an Arisaka. Already have an Enfield, with lots of surplus ammo to shoot through it. Some of said ammo is actually newer than the gun!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

A SMLE or a P 17 Enfield? Arisakas should be fairly easy to find, although most of them have been ground. (the Mum ground off.) If you don't insist on a German K 98K you can find the equivalent post-war guns reasonably. But the M 1 is the jewel in the crown.

I like all guns, love Mauser 98 sporterized and Model 99 Savages. I'd kinda like to have a L-E No. 4, but they're getting expensive. I've got a cherry sporterized one, like the caliber.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I like revolvers the most and especially a good "Vintage" S&W.

No matter how hard I try, I can't cotton up to ARs and their ilk. I tried and bought a Ruger one, but yeah it's OK, but just can't get into them like some. Maybe because I was issued one fer 20 years, a M16A1/M16A2 (right before I retired) and sometimes an M203.

They are like Tinker Toys and have an unlimited array of aftermarket accessories/configurations and some are surprisingly accurate, I know. They are about as aesthetic to me as a damn entrenching too!
    Who knows though, I may buy another the way prices have dropped, I dunno.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    A SMLE or a P 17 Enfield?
    Its a #5, "Jungle Carbine" that was my father's.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    No matter how hard I try, I can't cotton up to ARs and their ilk.
    If I were a "serious gun user", I'd probably have an AR. But I'm not - I'm a tyro that likes to shoot! I've shot an AR, and it was fine (darned accurate) - but I like the "feel of history" so to speak.

out of all my rifles- my absolute favorite is my inland M1

I just spent 20 min. typing a post & when I tried to post it it said refresh so I did & lost all I put down .
    I was loged out . This happen a lot on this site ?

Welcome aboard.

Projects? Yep. There's quite a few rifles snobs around here, I'm one. Anymore, a factory rifle is just a beginning. Rem 700? Yep, have 3 set up for bench work, and several others for hunting.
    .223, .243, 308 for bench rifles. And then there's Savage....
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

When you log in, click on the little box below your password that says: stay logged in.

Old guns - new guns?

Yes.

Reminds me, I need to work a little on the trapdoor front sight this evening.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Well, some of the guns I bought new are now old so I guess it's a matter of perspective

Sako

Old or new, price does matter when making a choice. Got a few projects indeed, and always looking for good opportunities, but have a soft spot for old milsurps and .22LR guns; last one was a derelict '20s Winchester 52 that took a while to put back into working condition, having to rely on truly archaeological procedures and machining parts from scratch to complete to almost "as issued" condition (Rear sight knobs are apparently made out of the proverbial Unobtanium) :

Winchester 52 06.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    At first glance, I thought that spotting scope was attached to the rifle!

I think I finally found a forum that I may fit in !
    I can really relate to ( unobtanium parts ) With all the different types I have it is an easteregg hunt finding what goes where.I was lost in time last night trying to put a Winchester 97 together. I have all the parts but they just don't seem to fit right. Seems like a few of you here mess with the same things I do. ( that's the good news ) Bad news now that I am getting to know who is who on here I will be a pain with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    I just spent 20 min. typing a post & when I tried to post it it said refresh so I did & lost all I put down .
    I was loged out . This happen a lot on this site ?
    Sometimes. What I do when it says to refresh is select what I had typed, then hit either copy or cut, then I don't just refresh, I hit cancel and go some where out of the specific forum and come back. Then I try posting again. This usually happens to me when I"m replying with quote. So I'll go back to that persons post and reply with quote again. It usually takes it then.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I'm really into old(er) stuff. My projects include a commercial 98 and a 7x57 barrel that I will soon take to my gun smith to fit the barrel and blue the metal. I'll drop it into a Boyd's classic stock myself. Then put a Nikon Monarch 3-12x40 with a side adjustment for Paralax.

I also have another Yugo Model 24/47 Mauser that I will have rebarreled to 6mm Remington, which is one of my favorite cartridges. It not being a Commercial action I'll have to have it Sporterized, which the last one cost me about $250. Then a 24 inch Shilen barrel and a Boyd's stock and some scope of my choice.

Though not projects, I have recently acquired a couple of oldies that were Grail Guns to me, a Browning Model A5 Sweet 16 shotgun, made in 1960, and a Winchester Model 12, 12 Ga. made in 1940. Both are in great shape. I do love some old guns.

Now on my bucket list are, No. 1, a nice rotary magazine, Savage 99 preferably in .250 Savage, No. 2, A pre 64 Model 70 Winchester chambered in .257 Roberts, and No. 3, a Remington Model 1100 in 28 Ga.

In hand guns, I'm not a big hand gunner, but I want No. 1, a 6" Model 29 S&W. And No. 2, I would also love me one Model 41 S&W Long Slide .22 LR. Pistol.

And one more gun I would love if it falls out of heaven on my head, a Model 42 Winchester .410 Pump Gun which happens to be a Model 12 on it's own special smaller frame.

All of these come after what I already have, which I think of as a pretty formidable list. But being a Republican Capitalist, I'm Greedy!

That's about it. But I Really Really Really need to win the Lotto to do all this.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-13-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Thanks so much I am trying anything on here.
    I may be the computers way of stopping me from being so long winded in a post.

You’ll do just fine here, lots of folks share your love. I like guns regardless of age but there is a special bond I seem to develop with older guns, specially the ones I call my “rescues”. These are basically quality firearms that have suffered under the hands of previous owners that I buy to restore/improve and give them a loving place in my gun rack. There is something special about taking a gun built 50 or even 100 years ago and making it go boom the way it was meant to...

Now if you excuse me I have to go hug my ‘97
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Thanks so much I am trying anything on here.
    I may be the computers way of stopping me from being so long winded in a post.
    When that happens and you start again, look for a small button on the lower left of the edit window that says something like “restore auto saved content” and click on it. It doesn’t work all the time but if it should restore what you lost or t least a recent version of it.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I am going to try a build here too.
    I have 3 700 actions ,composite stocks bull barrels 8 scopes to choose from .
    ( 2 short actions 1 long ) Learning to do it all will take time for me but no one is pushing me to get it done . ( just me )
    Learning how to bed the barrel & fit & finish the wood should be a fun learning process. I may have some ADD but I tend to be doing many different projects at the same time. I hate waiting for things to dry ! So I jump to another project not always related to guns. I started a old clock project last winter & am almost done with it now.Today I am going to the country land to hide stuff that doesn't fit in the house ! While there I need to take some measurements for my media blast cabinet. If I can get it welded up before snow hits I will try to blast a kids toy tractor & wagon .( about 1930 ) If time permits I may get a couple gun parts cleaned up too.

It really is something special saving old things. My Dad saw my Savage model 19 NRA & the first thing he said was that he wanted to shoot it. I told him ok next summer we will set up some targets at my range & he can blast away all he wants to.( He is 88 & a lifetime master shooter ) If I learn 1/3 of what he knows about shooting I will be lucky !

It really is something special saving old things. My Dad saw my Savage model 19 NRA & the first thing he said was that he wanted to shoot it. I told him ok next summer we will set up some targets at my range & he can blast away all he wants to.( He is 88 & a lifetime master shooter ) If I learn 1/3 of what he knows about shooting I will be lucky !
    Those old Savages are great rifles!! I have two model 23's in .22 Hornet and .25-20, and four 1899 takedowns in .303 Sav., .25-35, .30-30 and .38-55!

I am going to try a build here too.
    I have 3 700 actions ,composite stocks bull barrels 8 scopes to choose from .
    ( 2 short actions 1 long ) Learning to do it all will take time for me but no one is pushing me to get it done . ( just me )
    Learning how to bed the barrel & fit & finish the wood should be a fun learning process.
    When shaping a wood stock, if you feel frustrated or rushed, get up and go do something else. It is easy to make go away, it is hard to put back.

Now all you have to do is find something that is actually old to peak my interest. :)
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.