Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Guns ......New Guns

Re: Old Guns ......New Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    When shaping a wood stock, if you feel frustrated or rushed, get up and go do something else. It is easy to make go away, it is hard to put back.

Now all you have to do is find something that is actually old to peak my interest. :)
    Took me a while to learn that one but learn I have. Very wise words!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

All you have to do is put 20 hours into something making it look and fit like you want to and dink it up because you thought it should go faster once or twice.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

The old stuff I have I am really taking my time with because I don't want to mess it up.
    Here is my list so far of guns I need to put back together:
    Stevens 410 single shot Winchester 1873 44 WCF Remington Nylon 66 bolt action Hawthorne Vulcan 2 Winchester 97 Hopkins & Allen 20 Belgium 7737 Dbl 20 Iver Johnson Champion 3 or 4 hand guns . This list is just what I have found in the pile so far. Some of the actions have no name on so I really don't know what they are.
    I also put in a bid on 14 more old guns........ I really needed that ! I own a small business so my work on gun time is limited. This winter I am trying to get my reloading room back to a point that I can load & work on antiques & guns too.
    The closet is full of tubs of parts so limited on places to hide some of this stuff.IMG_0130 (800x600).jpg2.jpg

Nice looking action!! Is that some sort of rolling block?? Is there a lever on the right side?? It actually looks more like a falling block, but I don't have time to ID it now!

Bench look's about normal, it's your mess and it's organized!!
    Last edited by Big Al1; 11-14-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Best I can figure is the action is a Remington Hepburn & yes the lever is on the right side & is a falling block.
    I nave no idea what cal. is is for & haven't seen a barrel for it yet.

I'll see if I can ID it when I get home. Off to the golf course right now. RH could be barreled for anything. There were prized as target rifles. .32-40 or .38-55, maybe!

Thanks Al !
    It is way down my list of put together s .......because it fits in a drawer & out of the way. I will have to look for pics of it to know what kind of stock to look for.........at least that action isn't all in small peaces spread all over like the others have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    When shaping a wood stock, if you feel frustrated or rushed, get up and go do something else. It is easy to make go away, it is hard to put back.

Now all you have to do is find something that is actually old to peak my interest. :)
    When you are fitting a stock.......what do you use to mark the high spots ?

Jerrow's inletting black. https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...lack&ksubmit=y

I use a small acid brush and put a dab of inletting black in a small container then add a few drops of oil to thin it. Yes, you look like a chimney sweep when you inlet!!

I use a bedding tool for the barrel channel: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aspx?rrec=true

And small chisels and scrapers, very sharp, for fine work. Plus various files, rasps, scrapers and whatever else works to remove the small bits of wood!

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod32474.aspx

And that is a Remington Hepburn action.
    Last edited by Big Al1; 11-15-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks Al !
    I was thinking graphite powder....... see why I ask .
    I went to brownells & .............yep out of stock.
    Good news I have all the tools you mentioned.

Found some on E bay. Small jar will last years!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jerrows-Inl...cAAOSwj9lZrE8r

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    The old stuff I have I am really taking my time with because I don't want to mess it up.
    Here is my list so far of guns I need to put back together:
    Stevens 410 single shot Winchester 1873 44 WCF Remington Nylon 66 bolt action Hawthorne Vulcan 2 Winchester 97 Hopkins & Allen 20 Belgium 7737 Dbl 20 Iver Johnson Champion 3 or 4 hand guns . This list is just what I have found in the pile so far. Some of the actions have no name on so I really don't know what they are.
    I also put in a bid on 14 more old guns........ I really needed that ! I own a small business so my work on gun time is limited. This winter I am trying to get my reloading room back to a point that I can load & work on antiques & guns too.
    The closet is full of tubs of parts so limited on places to hide some of this stuff.IMG_0130 (800x600).jpg2.jpg
    I thought the bolt gun variations of the Nylon 66 had another name. Can't for the life of me remember, but I don't believe it was called a 66. You got me curious so I think I'll search it out.

OK Did the search. Here's the addres

http://chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm

The bolt version with tubular magazine was called the Model 12. The model 11 was just like it with a Clip type Magazine. Then there was the model 10 which was a single shot bolt.

They also made the model 76 which was a lever gun. I had a 66 back in the 60s but if I ever get another Nylon Remington from this period I would want the 76, but they seem to be 10 times more rare than the 66. It seems all but the 66 are rare as hens teeth having only been made a couple of years.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-15-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Sight black. Its always around the man cave.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Prussian blue works, too. It's available at a auto parts store.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I thought the bolt gun variations of the Nylon 66 had another name. Can't for the life of me remember, but I don't believe it was called a 66. You got me curious so I think I'll search it out.

OK Did the search. Here's the addres

http://chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm

The bolt version with tubular magazine was called the Model 12. The model 11 was just like it with a Clip type Magazine. Then there was the model 10 which was a single shot bolt.

They also made the model 76 which was a lever gun. I had a 66 back in the 60s but if I ever get another Nylon Remington from this period I would want the 76, but they seem to be 10 times more rare than the 66. It seems all but the 66 are rare as hens teeth having only been made a couple of years.
    I think the one I have must be a model 11 because it does have a clip for it. Sorry about the confusion to me first thing I thought was 66.I think I have a 66 tucked away here some place.It's semi auto if I remember right. The bolt action on this one threw me. ( plus not knowing older guns ) Thanks so much for the info. I'll wright it down .

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Prussian blue works, too. It's available at a auto parts store.
    Great !
    will this stain the wood ? I mean like soak in stain. I have many stocks to work with so I don't want to screwup on on an expensive gun. Is this a dry application ?

Great !
    will this stain the wood ? I mean like soak in stain. I have many stocks to work with so I don't want to screwup on on an expensive gun. Is this a dry application ?
    That's why you inlet before finishing the stock. It mess's up everything, cleans up with final shaping and sanding!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    That's why you inlet before finishing the stock. It mess's up everything, cleans up with final shaping and sanding!
    With as little as I know can you see this turning into a train wreck Al ?
    I have some chisels that are huge ! I think they were for shaping a blank stock. This must have done it all.
    Oh & I do have a blank too ! ( not gonna jump on that one ! )

First ato store I went I found Prussian Blue.
    It is in a small tube but I really don't plan on doing this a lot.
    Moving my padded vice to a convenient place in my reloading room may be a problem.
    Right now floor space is a problem.

Here is another odd find.........Hawthorn Vulcon

Hawthorne Vulcan 2 (1).JPG

Is this worth the time putting back together ? Or just put in the parts pile ?
    Found it.Made by Savage Model SB 100-B
    Made only for monkeywards in the 40s or 50s
    Cheap gun not worth much time on.
    Last edited by Old Ron; 11-17-2017 at 04:31 PM.

This rain day is turning into a good day.
    managed to assemble the 2 Winchester 97s to about 90%
    Found stock & forearm for the Hepburn .
    To most of you guys this probably doesn't sound like much but to me this was a really good day at getting some parts back to being guns again.
    More to come ....

Another rain day here & managed to find the butt stock for the Hopkins & Allen 20ga 1885 drop block.
    Still need a hammer spring & stock screw.
    If I can get these all standing up that will be a good winters work done.