Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Old Guns ......New Guns

Re: Old Guns ......New Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ron View Post
    Not at all .......I don't mind anyone asking me anything really.I am on here to learn new things & have conversations with anyone that wan't to talk with me ......( some days I just talk to myself ) .....That's a sign.
    The one on the right is a Connecticut valley arms Navy model reproduction black powder The on on the left is Richland Arms Black powder .44 reproduction. At one point years ago I thought black powder would be fun soon to find out not so much for me.
    The bottom one in the case looks like it would be good for repelling boarders, how big is the bore?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

It's a HY Hunter made in west Germany.
    Looks great!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

Not at all .......I don't mind anyone asking me anything really.I am on here to learn new things & have conversations with anyone that wan't to talk with me ......( some days I just talk to myself ) .....That's a sign.
    The one on the right is a Connecticut valley arms Navy model reproduction black powder The on on the left is Richland Arms Black powder .44 reproduction. At one point years ago I thought black powder would be fun soon to find out not so much for me.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    The bottom one in the case looks like it would be good for repelling boarders, how big is the bore?
    My gauge says 45 ......could always throw it at someone. If I remember right it really jumped & let out a big puff of smoke. I had to walk to the target to see if I hit it.

Well decided on taking 2 guns to try to sell at the flea market. 1 shotgun & 1 pistol. I may just take them back to the truck if some jerk gets to fingering them to much. I think I know why I really never do this now. Oh well tomorrow will tell me a lot.

My gauge says 45 ......could always throw it at someone. If I remember right it really jumped & let out a big puff of smoke. I had to walk to the target to see if I hit it.
    Hey, grape shot, it doubles as a bludgeoning instrument, AND a smoke screen, whats not to like.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by CHIRO1989 View Post
    Hey, grape shot, it doubles as a bludgeoning instrument, AND a smoke screen, whats not to like.
    It was interesting to mess with black powder just way to slow & messy for me. I have around fifty pounds of black powder to play with this summer. I may shoot paper out of my cannon a few times. ( very small cannon 1" bore )

Off shopping for snow blower parts , wood working supply s & body work supply s. That's the easy part ......then back to work on stocks & the wagon. I need to knock some of this out before the grass starts growing. Speaking of growing I need to get my tobacco plants started by next month. Finding space is the big problem. Last year I had it all set up in my living room for 3 months....... real happy I wasn't married then. With a man cave house I can get away with doing things like that.

It was interesting to mess with black powder just way to slow & messy for me. I have around fifty pounds of black powder to play with this summer. I may shoot paper out of my cannon a few times. ( very small cannon 1" bore )
    "Steelies", ball bearings to some, may shoot well out of a similar cannon and make some impressive marks on Poplar trees, so I am told.

If I find some laying around the shop I probably would try blowing a few things out the cannon. If I can remember where I put the little roll of fuse I have around here. ( things hide on me here )

I picked up some acetone yesterday & plunked the stock parts in it. Right away I could see oil releasing. I will peek at them later today & see how they are doing. At the paint store the acetone was $18 and at the farm & fleet it was $12 .

I picked up some acetone yesterday & plunked the stock parts in it. Right away I could see oil releasing. I will peek at them later today & see how they are doing. At the paint store the acetone was $18 and at the farm & fleet it was $12 .
    You have a Fleet Farm!!?? I hate you!! That's my favorite store in the world!! It's like if Cabela's and Lowes and Tractor Supply had a love child!! The store in Sheboygan even sells beer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    You have a Fleet Farm!!?? I hate you!! That's my favorite store in the world!! It's like if Cabela's and Lowes and Tractor Supply had a love child!! The store in Sheboygan even sells beer!!
    If it makes you feel better Al we have 2 in town & 4 within 20 miles of town. ( Free popcorn too ! )
    I removed the wood & dried it off a bit ......not looking to bad for the oil removal. I will let it kick a few days before I start the sanding & repairs on it.

oil out.jpg

Doing some repair work on a couple stocks......getting flash backs of wood shop in school. These are cheap guns so can't loose much if I mess them up. All this drying time stuff really prolongs the time to do a project.

With all the drying times I seem to have I started trying to find more floor space in my reloading room. ( that didn't go so well ) I did find more checkering tools so now I have all I need for now except the courage to get at one. Only a couple more stress cracks in the one stock then sand & finish that one too. I will have more projects hanging & drying than a Chinese laundry.

Worked in the reloading room for 3 hours.........I now have close to one more inch of space.

If it makes you feel better Al we have 2 in town & 4 within 20 miles of town. ( Free popcorn too ! )
    I removed the wood & dried it off a bit ......not looking to bad for the oil removal. I will let it kick a few days before I start the sanding & repairs on it.

oil out.jpg
    I'm surprised the acetone did not damage the plastic buttplate and spacer.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Bakelite :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I'm surprised the acetone did not damage the plastic buttplate and spacer.
    You take all that off then after they dry out ..... put them back on for sanding. Seems to be a lot more work to restore stocks than it is to start with new wood. Both have a ton of sanding to do. I have no idea how these will turn out but I am taking my time & trying to do a nice job. ( learning a lot too ) I lost my edge scribe for checkering some place. In the mess I am in that comes as no big surprise . Last night I renewed my bid on those 14 old guns ....that I bid a year ago. It would be nice to get those....... because I have so few things to do !

Well I managed to get a few more hours in sorting in the reloading room. I can really get distracted in there. Found around 15 barrels & no guns for them to go on. I did manage to get more space to work so that is a good thing. Some of the old gun stocks must have been made out of real crappy wood. Less grain in them that plywood. Not real interesting to look at. I did grab one of my 22 250 actions & barrel & stock & was trying to see what it might look like done. Wrapped it back up & said ......" to many projects going now so don't think about it ! " But it still would be nice to have to shoot this summer. ( just saying )

This work thing is over rated ! It seems like I no more than grab sandpaper or oil & work calls.Late nights & early morning is the only time to move forward with projects. ( barking dogs at night isn't a big help ) I like the dogs .......just not the owners so much. Finally the peaces that I am working on are coming to life . I think when I start the finish on the better wood I will be real happy with the looks. I'm fighting between hi gloss & satin for the final look. Depth is the goal I want to
    get.

Will wax work as a release for epoxy ? I want to tighten up the stock on a old shotgun using 2 part epoxy & don't want the action to stick while the epoxy drys.

Off to a slow start today with projects. A buddy called & needed me to drive a semi across town for him. It's cold & damp outside so time for wood in & hitting projects. Did see some homes in Chicago yesterday that made me realize just how poor I am. ( but I'm a happy poor guy )