Thread: Concentricity / Runout Tool?

Concentricity / Runout Tool?

Chief posted a link to a concentricity tool on another thread that got me wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze there.

Obviously I don't have a concentricity tool now but it is compelling. Anyone have experience that leads you to believe checking and correcting runout yields tangible benefits? Seems like it should but I'm wondering if the added step of checking each loaded cartridge is worth the effort.

My hand loads are pretty accurate as it is but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Re: Concentricity / Runout Tool?

Its a good tool to gave to validate the quality of your setup and components. High runout can definitely have negative impact on accuracy as a bullet hitting the lands anything but square is already got a bad deal in life.

Years ago, I bought a RCBS guage and did a good bit of testing and checking of my finished ammo with it. What I found was that it was exceptionally rare to get a round outside of .002 runout with the parts and dies/press I had on hand for pretty much any cartridge. After that testing was done, it was shelved until a new cartridge came along.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by JKP View Post
    Chief posted a link to a concentricity tool on another thread that got me wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze there.

Obviously I don't have a concentricity tool now but it is compelling. Anyone have experience that leads you to believe checking and correcting runout yields tangible benefits? Seems like it should but I'm wondering if the added step of checking each loaded cartridge is worth the effort.

My hand loads are pretty accurate as it is but I'm always looking for ways to improve.
    I have recently purchased a Hornady Concentricity tool. Literature included with the equipment stated optimum accuracy was generally achieved with a max run out of 3 degrees.

I have 350 rounds of 308 long range ammo loaded, and I checked approximately 175 rounds, and found the average run out to be 2 degrees. I quit checking it. I use a competition Redding seating die, and it is working like a champ.

In other cartriges, I am using Lee, RCBS, & Hornady seating dies. I will check rounds loaded with these in due course.

I feel the equipment is worth having, because now I know.

Surprising enough I find tne greatest variance in run out in factory ammo. The highest, up to 9 degrees, in some 30'06 Winchester ammo. Easy enough to straighten with Hornady tool. I fixed 10 rounds & left the others for a control. I find out next week just how much improvement I achieve. As a general rule I've found Winchester Power Point ammo to be very accurate.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

I don't use it all the time, in fact, seldom, but occasionally I do when I get a wild hair. I guess it is one variable in the many to eliminate, tweak or verify in the greater scheme of reloading.

Sometimes the results are surprising. A lot of what I loaded in .223 as "Blasting Ammo" is dead nuts on within the tolerance the Hornady instructions suggest is better for the best results in accuracy.

I'm using a Lee Classic Turrent Press and mostly Lee die sets too. I think doing all the brass preparation, adjusting your dies properly and paying attention as you place/start and seat bullets has a lot to with it too. Plus the quality of the bullets themselves.

I have a few competition seaters I inherited I should give a whirl someday. I don't use the seating dies for any crimp I may use, I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies for that for almost every caliber I reload.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

I bought the Sinclair model years ago and checked my match handloads. I soon realized I had just wasted my money on this thing and it's been sitting on a shelf accumulating dust ever since. BTW 41batwingnut, it measures the eccentricity in thousands of an inch, not in degrees. 9 degrees would be highly visible and you would not need a tool to tell you that.

How to you like your Samsung Galaxy Tab pro tablet? I see you have the 10.5 inch. I have the Note Pro 12.2 inch but they don't make it anymore.

Excuse me?
    Batwingnut?
    Are you talking to me?

I did write degrees didn't I.

Have no idea where that came from, but I stand corrected.

I enjoy my Samsung Tablet.

I find the size effective. Large enough to be useful, and easy to read from, and do office type work, but not cumbersome.

I had a samsung phone when looking for a tablet, which lead me to the brand. Of course I got an IPhone shortly after buying my tablet. As such I lost the coordination ability between common devices.
    Last edited by 41magnut; 11-15-2017 at 03:32 AM.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by 41magnut View Post
    Excuse me?
    Batwingnut?
    Are you talking to me?

I did write degrees didn't I.

Have no idea where that came from, but I stand corrected.

Yes, he was. But he won't do it again, if he has any intention of staying here.

Got that Peg?.

Linefinder
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter