Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp meat

Camp meat

When I was a kid, I remember some of the old timers talk about shooting a young doe for camp meat. The idea being to eat it while in camp on an extended hunt.

Has anyone else heard of this practice? I don't know if those old guys actually did this, but if they did, it had to be done illegally.

Just curious.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Re: Camp meat

I've done a variation of that several times back in Louisiana. It was legal, of course, since you were allowed 6 deer a year and probably 75% of the hunting days were designated "either sex".

Being single at the time, I couldn't personally use more than 2 deer a year, so I'd occasionally pop a young doe (or an old one, for that matter), so we could have at least one feast in camp.

Once, while doing "doe cleanup" on a high$$ lease in south Texas, I was told if it was a doe, shoot it. There were only 4 of us hunting that weekend, but the other 3 were members after trophy bucks. I was a tag-along, given the dubious title "nanny whacker".

I whacked 3 that weekend, but the one I remember most was one that weighed about 60 lbs on the hoof. Five of us ate the entire critter that night. No one else fired a shot that day, so although I didn't shoot a trophy, the trophy hunters seemed pretty pleased with dinner.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter

When I think back to when I was young, the old timers talking about when they were young, was several years ago from today. I bet it was perfectly legal back then, even if there were many rules and regulations.
    My late ex FIL was a lad back during the depression, i doubt anyone gave rules regarding food much of a thought.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

I remember people talking about camp meat. I also remember hearing game warden's opinions on camp meat. Their words, "Aint no such thing as camp meat. You shoot it, you tag it. then take it home, all of it and process it. If you're caught in camp with venison you could be fined." In other words you're not allowed an extra deer to eat off of in camp.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

My grandpa and his boyhood friends ran traps north of Calumet in Michigan's upper peninsula in the 1920's-30's. My Dad told me he's pretty sure the ate what they caught if it was possible, as the times and place was pretty lean. He has some old photo's of them, and everyone is pretty thin.

I've had grouse and squirrel at deer camp as well as parts of back strap and occasionally liver. I've not heard stories of deer taken specifically for camp meat until this thread, but the world was vastly different in the past.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

My camp meat is Spam. Tastes good, doesn't need to be broiled, but put it between two slices of bread. No one ever got tagged by a game warden for Possession of Spam.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    My camp meat is Spam. Tastes good, doesn't need to be broiled, but put it between two slices of bread. No one ever got tagged by a game warden for Possession of Spam.
    I think I read somewhere that Man shall not live by Spam alone.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

But this thread takes me back a few decades.....

My Dad and his business partner were avid squirrel hunters. Every year we'd (meaning I got to go), boat deep into Morango Swamp for 10 days of squirrel hunting. Our "leaving home" rations were always the same...
    Two 5lb sticks of bologna, 4 loaves of white bread, 5 lbs of yellow onions, 20 lbs of potatoes, and two fifths of 10 year old Old Charter. For me, I was allowed a six pack of Coke, but it's hard to make 6 Cokes last 10 days in early October in the deep south. I drank a lot of swamp water cured with a drop or two of Chlorox.

By day three or four about all that was left was maybe an onion and a few pounds of potatoes. That's when the squirrel hunting got serious and we became very dedicated and lethal. We never came home with squirrels for the same reason we never came home with a robin or whatever. One year, my Dad shot a feral hog that was ruined during the cooking because it wasn't fit to eat in the first place. We enjoyed it mightily.

I'm too soft nowadays to do that kind of hunt, but I'm forever grateful that at one time in my life I did, and was so allowed.

Mike
    KSU Firefighter

Have done variations of such.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Have done variations of such.
    I heard of one guy who ate a javelin, or tried to.
    Jerry

When I was young, carving a steak or 2 off of a deer or elk was pretty common but that's as far as camp meat went. Later in life when I discovered just how yummy deer or elk heart wrapped in bacon and pan fried was, that became camp meat.

Sako

When I first started hunting deer in MI you could buy a "deer for camp" permit but the state has since done away with it....not sure when...still had to be a buck though
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    That like sword swallowing?
    Go Cowboys go

Worst “camp meat” ever.

I've eaten javelina and so has Clean it is not bad; in fact I liked it and if Clean ate it, that is proof in the pudding.

It is all about being careful and taking care of the meat after shooting it----same with any animal.
    Go Cowboys go

Worst “camp meat” ever.
    I agree. My ex-BIL shot a big javelina boar one year, and we tried to eat it. Didn't even mange to swallow a piece. The hindquarters from young ones and sows are pretty good, though.

BTW Ned, try typing javelina in a thread and see what spell check does. It took me three tries before it quit correcting me and changing the word to javelin.
    Jerry

Mine kept changing on me as well; but, if ya give up ya gotta expect the heat you will get.
    Go Cowboys go

According to the MN DNR CO's I have talked to, the practice is alive and well. We will always have venison fondue in camp if we get one soon enough in the season, always tagged.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Admit shooting the biggest boar in the bunch was not the best choice. But still.

I’d rather eat a skunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    When I first started hunting deer in MI you could buy a "deer for camp" permit but the state has since done away with it....not sure when...still had to be a buck though
    Yep. Actually, I seem to recall that they were allowed one doe for camp meat-- I think they had to apply for the permit as a hunting party.

I’d rather eat a skunk.
    I know people. I can make this happen.

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    I know people. I can make this happen.
    Dude, pass at least 3 a day on the side of the road.

Dude, pass at least 3 a day on the side of the road.
    I can get you live ones. Shipping may be an issue though.

I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men.

I know several people that eat Javelina, and claim it's pretty good. But they tell me you got to remove a couple of glands in the back and you gotta know exactly where they are and be careful not to cut them, you gotta cut around them. If you shoot these glands the animal is toast as far as food goes. If you leave em in the animal they make it go bad or taste bad. I have no clue as I have never killed one. But most people that eat them know exactly how to remove those glands.

I have eaten Javelina Sausage, but again, the people that killed them and made the sausage took the glands out as soon as they recovered the animal after shooting.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-13-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Didn't work well. He's a finicky eater...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Nah, you wrap them tight in a couple of garbage bags and send them parcel post so it's nice and slow in getting to the destination. Meat tenderizes itself that way...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Logansport Indiana, by way of Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I had not heard that term in a long while and I do not know anyone that practiced it. The only camp meat I have ever eaten was squirrels and the tenderloins of a legally harvested and tagged deer. robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO

Camp meat...? Sounds kinda like my prom date!! Hahahaa!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

LoL...but seriously I never knew a problem existed elsewhere. First brown animal on opening day to be seen is grill fodder!! We're grilling backstraps and cutting hams into chunks to deep fry, kinda sets the tone for the season and camaraderie for the weekend!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

Not for me.