Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp meat

Re: Camp meat

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    I know several people that eat Javelina, and claim it's pretty good. But they tell me you got to remove a couple of glands in the back and you gotta know exactly where they are and be careful not to cut them, you gotta cut around them. If you shoot these glands the animal is toast as far as food goes. If you leave em in the animal they make it go bad or taste bad. I have no clue as I have never killed one. But most people that eat them know exactly how to remove those glands.

I have eaten Javelina Sausage, but again, the people that killed them and made the sausage took the glands out as soon as they recovered the animal after shooting.
    You can get around that by using "Peccary" instead....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Here is from the Michigan DNR.... they did allow one buck for camp meat. Except for 1941... then it was either sex for that year only.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...S_DEER_HUNTING

I thought I read that somewhere!

when I was a kid just starting to ACTUALLY hunt, instead of just being there, I remember an old fella from Arkansas, he mentioned several times it used to be the norm to go bust a doe for camp meat, and how silly it was he couldn't shoot all the does he saw all day.

Now for freshly killed game, tagged, eaten right away...well nothing will beat the tenderloins jbohio cooked up. That was melt in the mouth stuff right there. And after the day we had getting that SOB off the mountain, he tasted extra good just out of spite
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

My first deer hunt was in Colorado with my uncle and my dad, on private land. My uncle shot a small doe within an hour of our setting up camp, and we ate the back strap and one haunch during the course of our 5 days there. This was 1966, I was 15, and I assume he tagged it, because we did not get ticketed at the checkpoint, on our way home. He called it camp meat, and it seemed to be standard procedure for him. He hunted there every year, during that era.

The whole "camp meat" concept for me varried according to where I was and who I was hunting with. When I was a kid hunting in Wisconsin, we would eat the heart and liver on the day of a kill but aside from field dressing, the deer had to stay intact until it reached it's final destination so venison camp meat was out but we did eat quite a bit of rabbit and squirrel. When I hunted in Texas, everyone I hunted with took their deer to a processor and didn't eat any game at camp. In Alabama, only bucks get tagged and you can shoot a doe every day and there are no restrictions on cutting up a deer at camp so chicken fried backstrap was a common dinner entree. In Florida, I hunt from home so there is no "camp".
    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    You can get around that by using "Peccary" instead....
    I being a somewhat educated Texan realize the real name for Javelina is Spotted Peccary. Are you referrng to the mispelling of the word Javelin-A and the reference to a SWORD SWALLOWER?

Last edited by snake284; 11-14-2017 at 06:42 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
    The whole "camp meat" concept for me varried according to where I was and who I was hunting with. When I was a kid hunting in Wisconsin, we would eat the heart and liver on the day of a kill but aside from field dressing, the deer had to stay intact until it reached it's final destination so venison camp meat was out but we did eat quite a bit of rabbit and squirrel. When I hunted in Texas, everyone I hunted with took their deer to a processor and didn't eat any game at camp. In Alabama, only bucks get tagged and you can shoot a doe every day and there are no restrictions on cutting up a deer at camp so chicken fried backstrap was a common dinner entree. In Florida, I hunt from home so there is no "camp".
    This as for my knowledge is a very factual post. Well done Steve! I will say there are some Texans that will eat the heart and/or liver at deer camp. I've even done so. Most game Wardens will go by the spirit of the law here and look the other way. But now and then you will find some fresh out of Warden School Anal Retentive Green Warden wanting to save the world from game abusers and will ticket people for any deviation from the written law. Technically it is illegal to eat any part of the deer in the field. But in my opinion, I mean this is stupid and needs to be changed.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-14-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Now for freshly killed game, tagged, eaten right away...well nothing will beat the tenderloins jbohio cooked up. That was melt in the mouth stuff right there. And after the day we had getting that SOB off the mountain, he tasted extra good just out of spite
    Thanks!
    And yes, it certainly was an adventure getting him off the mountain!
    Good thing Scott had that sled! Or was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

The auto correct deficiency....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Thanks!
    And yes, it certainly was an adventure getting him off the mountain!
    Good thing Scott had that sled! Or was it?
    Using an Otter sled to get elk down a mountain is not the best idea, no steering and too much flex from too much weight and no snow.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Otter...0NFg&gclsrc=ds
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    I remember that. Well, I remember the eating part. Thankfully, I had nothing to do with the getting him off the mountain part.

And the meat was indeed excellent!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.