Thread: Suppose I were to go after a M1 Garand...

Suppose I were to go after a M1 Garand...

... what would be the advice?

Jump through the hoops for a post war SA or H&R from CMP @ $750? Pay a bunch more money for one at the "usual" websites for a real WW II example? Buy a receiver and piece one together?

I'd prefer a wartime example if possible. "Decent" shape, but it doesn't have to be LNIB. I won't shoot it much, but as most here know, I like WW II era guns, and it would be a great addition to my collection of same. I realize most of them have been arsenal reworked by this point - some several times - so I'm not counting on matching parts, etc, etc - too expen$ive.

I wouldn't do this until around September of next year when my gun fund recharges itself, but doing some research now. Heck, by then, I'd probably have seen something else I just gotta have anyway - but I like to research things before I jump.

So how does a Belly Dancer best go about acquiring one?

Yes, I have a C&R license.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    "Religion can't be allowed the coercive power of government,
    government can't be allowed the 'moral' justification of religion."

Re: Suppose I were to go after a M1 Garand...

CMP.

Beware ones that are advertised as "all original" with a higher tag at gunshows and webernet sales. You probably wouldnt want to part with the funds for a factory direct Garand from WW2 if you could find a real one.

Look for TE and ME (throat erosion and muzzle erosion. Be wary of gun show stuff. If Joe had a Garand and he shot a lot of commercial stuff through it, the op rod is likely bent in ways it shouldnt be. They are not supposed to be strait, so dont straighten it, but they were bent by eye. That is really about it. If you want a good shooter, get a CMP special rebuilt. I think they are in the 1400 range right now but they are as right as can be with a match bbl in the mil contour. "tanker" Garands are a civilian cut down of a garand. There was a Garand made that short, but they did not go into production. Every one you will see for sale is a cut on full garand.

A service grade M1 from CMP will be about the safest and least expensive way to go as a newbie Garand guy not hunting a match rifle. That is not saying you cant shoot a match with it and do fair. You need a cmp club affiliation, you can join the Garand collectors asso. on line for 25 bucks. Then you need to shoot in a match. That is waived for Military, vets, and some civilians like cops.

garandstack_zpsg2xdjpne.jpg
    Last edited by Varmintmist; 11-13-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

I ran across an absolutely beautiful example at Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona Beach a few weeks ago.....but I did not have the $800 or so to spare that they wanted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10canyon53 View Post
    I ran across an absolutely beautiful example at Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona Beach a few weeks ago.....but I did not have the $800 or so to spare that they wanted for it.
    That sounds like a good deal on the face of it for sure! Do you know how the internals were, and the bbl? Just outta curiosity at this point anyway.

You are not that far from Talladega CMP. It would be worth the trip. Go to cmps site forum, sometimes they report the weeks inventory. I think it's Tuesday the weeks guns come out. Then go down the road to the nicest range in the country and try it out.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Quote Originally Posted by zorba View Post
    That sounds like a good deal on the face of it for sure! Do you know how the internals were, and the bbl? Just outta curiosity at this point anyway.
    No, sorry. Since I knew at the time that I could not afford it I just fondled it and drooled a little. I am pretty sure is was not a war time example since it had artwork etched into the stock and if I remember correctly, it had what looked like some gold leaf trim. Could have been used for ceremonial purposes or more likely it was a civilianized custom job.

The true GI issue is rare ... most came back and rearsenalized for future reissue. They didn’t keep all SA or Winchester or such but just assembled good working Garands. Now the CMP does similar but occasionally do have a nice example come in and seems now goes to their auction offerings. Their CMP builds are done well and I swear the guys doing it do try to build as close to name parts as possible but it gets hard as parts inventories shrink but still better than when they military was rearsenalizing them. BAM’s CMP trip is a great suggestion .... back when it was Winston Cup we’d go down for at least on race a year and always tried to stop in ... I wish I’d bought one each time now. Anyway it is a place you should visit at least once and even better they have a CMP Maintenance Course that is a bucket list for me ... 3 days and you basically build your own Garand! Anyway unless you know and trust the person selling a Garand today that CMP paperwork to me means you get a well build trustworthy Garand at a good price.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

... what would be the advice?

Jump through the hoops for a post war SA or H&R from CMP @ $750? Pay a bunch more money for one at the "usual" websites for a real WW II example? Buy a receiver and piece one together?

I'd prefer a wartime example if possible. "Decent" shape, but it doesn't have to be LNIB. I won't shoot it much, but as most here know, I like WW II era guns, and it would be a great addition to my collection of same. I realize most of them have been arsenal reworked by this point - some several times - so I'm not counting on matching parts, etc, etc - too expen$ive.

I wouldn't do this until around September of next year when my gun fund recharges itself, but doing some research now. Heck, by then, I'd probably have seen something else I just gotta have anyway - but I like to research things before I jump.

So how does a Belly Dancer best go about acquiring one?

Yes, I have a C&R license.
    id get the CMP version.

They will send it to YOU. You may have to jump though some hoops, but it would be fun and worth it.

as far as a LNIB, good luck. You wont like the price so dont even go there and then i would consider the history.

good luck
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Another vote for the CMP route.

I've gotten 2 from them, in the past, and both were in MUCH better shape than anticipated
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven habits of highly effective pirates
    Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

CMP it is then!

Thanx all.

Maybe by then, Trump will allow imports again and the pickings will be better.

If you buy one from CMP it should have been aresenal rebuilt or repaired and if the barrel was bad should have been replaced. I've got two that came from CMP or what was once DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship). Their bores are near perfect and other than one having a ratty looking, though still functional, gas tube. Both of mine were CMPs and they are great.

However seeing they were both bought in the early to middle 80s, neither one cost me near $200. In fact the first one cost $121.96. The second one two years later cost my dad $164 and some change.
    Last edited by snake284; 11-13-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Speaking of classics, yesterday doing range master duty, there was a guy with a Rand 1911 and he was shooting Western auto and Peter's ammo. Guess his uncle gave it all to him after bringing home from WWII. I told him he was nuts for shooting that ammo, he had no clue what he had.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    If you buy one from CMP it should have been aresenal rebuilt or repaired and if the barrel was bad should have been replaced.
    Nope. Currently they have service grade for 730. The erosion is under serviceable limits, and they are functionally sound. The ones that are straight out of rework before cosmoline are long gone. If they get more then will likely start building the CMP specials again.

I have a transient love affair with Garands. I fall in love with one, buy it, it spends a few years in my safe and then one day I find someone that loves it a lot more than me and I let it go because I have never found any purpose for me owning one. I like having one but I just can't get into shooting one as much as I've tried.

So I've owned a few in my life including a very low serial number Winchester and a REALLY nice H&R and they have all gone to collectors that appreciate them a lot more than I ever will. The last Garand associated thing I got rid of was a full crate of LC match ammo in clips that was still in the original GI crate with the shipping address of the club it was sent to in the late 60s. Got VERY good money on GB for that one and someone is smiling broadly staring at their purchase and that makes me happy.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Dad, brother, and I bought ours from the CMP. Very happy with the guns we received. Definitely the way to go IMO.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member

A postwar will be a better rifle just by virtue of being the end product of a 20 year learning curve. Scott Duff's books cover a lot of the details of that process. They are not necessarily COOLER than a rifle that can be documented as having been in Normandy or on Iwo Jima, although they do contain improvements based on what was learned in those places, which is a cool thing in itself. One example: I believe it was the early lock-bar rear sight that was judged to be so prone to come out of adjustment that a field order was issued mandating their replacement about as quickly as troops rotated off the line. Lock-bar sights are indeed cool because they were there, but I wouldn't necessarily want to plop down on the 600 yard line at Camp Perry with one.

A LATE postwar is also a lot more likely to be original/correct simply because they didn't land on beaches, sneak through humid jungles, freeze in Bastogne or the Chosin Reservoir, and otherwise fight the greatest conflict in human history with corrosive ammo that didn't go out of production until about 1953.

Garands are one of those fields in which there is so much variety in HOW people collect/buy them that you probably should do some homework, read up, and decide what facets are most important to you. To me, one of the cooler things about the rifle is that, over a 20 year run, parts can be swapped around with virtually no grief except for the ones that control headspace. In that regard, even a total Frankengun built from carefully selected parts to achieve a tighter-fitted rifle is neat in its way.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    A postwar will be a better rifle just by virtue of being the end product of a 20 year learning curve. Scott Duff's books cover a lot of the details of that process. They are not necessarily COOLER than a rifle that can be documented as having been in Normandy or on Iwo Jima, although they do contain improvements based on what was learned in those places, which is a cool thing in itself. One example: I believe it was the early lock-bar rear sight that was judged to be so prone to come out of adjustment that a field order was issued mandating their replacement about as quickly as troops rotated off the line. Lock-bar sights are indeed cool because they were there, but I wouldn't necessarily want to plop down on the 600 yard line at Camp Perry with one.

A LATE postwar is also a lot more likely to be original/correct simply because they didn't land on beaches, sneak through humid jungles, freeze in Bastogne or the Chosin Reservoir, and otherwise fight the greatest conflict in human history with corrosive ammo that didn't go out of production until about 1953.

Garands are one of those fields in which there is so much variety in HOW people collect/buy them that you probably should do some homework, read up, and decide what facets are most important to you. To me, one of the cooler things about the rifle is that, over a 20 year run, parts can be swapped around with virtually no grief except for the ones that control headspace. In that regard, even a total Frankengun built from carefully selected parts to achieve a tighter-fitted rifle is neat in its way.
    Good points all, and yep - I'm starting my research NOW, so that I might have a clue by the time I'm ready to obtain one.

If you join the GCA (garand collectors asso) now, you will get their magazine which is all about Garands, all the time.

http://thegca.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintmist View Post
    If you join the GCA (garand collectors asso) now, you will get their magazine which is all about Garands, all the time.

http://thegca.org/
    Already have!

Unless landing on a SWEET deal (Like getting one from the hands of an old neighbor or relative), even I know that the best way to go with those rifles is usually the CMP.

Since almost all were rebuilt, it's almost for sure that the only WWII-period part you'd get is the receiver, and maybe some assorted small parts, so no issues about a post-war made M-1.

Mine (Rebarreled to .308....30-06 is SCARCE here) has the replacement rear sight, while a friend has the lock-bar type in his, and it's kind of a PITA to use if you're planning to shoot at assorted distances (Although it looks cooler).

You can always "restore" a rebuilt into "period correct" configuration; this is a financially questionable decision although a fun project.
    Last edited by Antonio; 11-14-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
    Unless landing on a SWEET deal (Like getting one from the hands of an old neighbor or relative), even I know that the best way to go with those rifles is usually the CMP.

Since almost all were rebuilt, it's almost for sure that the only WWII-period part you'd get is the receiver, and maybe some assorted small parts, so no issues about a post-war made M-1.

Mine (Rebarreled to .308....30-06 is SCARCE here) has the replacement rear sight, while a friend has the lock-bar type in his, and it's kind of a PITA to use if you're planning to shoot at assorted distances (Although it looks cooler).

You can always "restore" a rebuilt into "period correct" configuration; this is a financially questionable decision although a fun project.
    Most "fun" or "labor of love" projects are financially questionable. Never found that to be even a speed bump
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Most "fun" or "labor of love" projects are financially questionable. Never found that to be even a speed bump
    Tell me about it. Like the time I spent about $100 to restore a sewing machine case that could have been replaced for half that.

Tell me about it. Like the time I spent about $100 to restore a sewing machine case that could have been replaced for half that.
    Oh I don't want to go down that path. We'd be here all day...

I pay cash for my fun projects as I go & never add up the total cost.
    Credit card bill are just a reminder that you should not have spent that much.

I just finished this little project last night & will not add up the money & hours spent bring this back to life !clock.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    You're preaching to the choir; I'm pretty aware I'll never get back a single dime of the money invested in my projects. Still, a disclaimer is useful in these situations.